Submission Text Full Submission Page
My first TAS run that i decided to make a 16 star run. It sucks a whole lot compared to others, and at most points dont seem like TAS, but oh well... I get 8 stars from the first floor, and 8 stars on the bottem. Places i could improve, are the swimming in DDD. All of the bowser stages. I probably could have gotten the BLJ's better and quicker. And a few other places i probably forgot. It tooke me about 6 hours to make this. Not that long. And maybe about 1500 rerecords. I still have a few things to learn, such as backward longjumping on the first bowser stage, jumping up through the poll on BitFS, and doing the dive thing into the slanted wall. The next thing i'm going to do, is just play around with TAS, and try to get better. Wish me luck. As i still have more to write here, I will say the places that i visited.
  • Bob-bombs battlefield
  • Princess's secret slide
  • Whomps Fortress
  • (First snow stage)
  • Lethal Lava Land
  • Hazy Maze Cave
  • Bowser in the Dark World
  • Bowser in the Fire Sea
  • Bowser in the Sky
I used a total of 2 BLG's. Not that many.

adelikat: Fails to beat the last 16 star run by a long shot. And of course the 16star run is long obsolete. I am rejecting this submission.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2006: SmashFiles's N64 Super Mario 64 in 24:48.47
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
Umm... there's no way for me to not come off as rude... but we had (past tense) a 16 star run and you fail miserably to even come close to the time. Why should I vote yes?
I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of this site. It's not a repository of emulated game playthroughs, it's for optimized tool-assisted speedruns.
Failed miserably to beat the old 16 star TAS time? Hell, failed to beat the unassisted time by five minutes.
Post subject: Re: #2006: SmashFiles's N64 Super Boring 64 in 24:48.47
adelikat wrote:
And of course the 16star run is long obsolete. I am rejecting this submission.
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a new 16 star run, as the last 16 star run is the most entertaining SM64 run on this site.
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Active player (301)
Eclipsed Moon wrote:
Failed miserably to beat the old 16 star TAS time? Hell, failed to beat the unassisted time by five minutes.
More, even. Apparently Myles Bukrim has a 17:30 or so in the pipeline. <youtube link that I can't be arsed to find goes here>
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
mike89 wrote:
Eclipsed Moon wrote:
More, even. Apparently Myles Bukrim has a 17:30 or so in the pipeline. <youtube link that I can't be arsed to find goes here>
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgqYoxJLiGQ Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA_Z5KFPoyc&feature=related
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Active player (283)
Eclipsed Moon wrote:
SDA starts timing when the player gains control of Mario, so the unassisted run isn't 5 minutes faster than this run. He still failed to beat the unassisted time, but the margin is closer to 3-4 minutes.
Former player
Sadly it was a bit suboptimal in a couple of places; you came close to beating the current record TAS, but sadly you didn't quite make it. Better luck next time though.
Jesus Christ you guys are like pirahnas (sp). As ShadowWraith said, this is place where rerecording is a positive, and speed runs played by humans are a negative.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
DK64_MASTER wrote:
adelikat wrote:
And of course the 16star run is long obsolete. I am rejecting this submission.
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a new 16 star run, as the last 16 star run is the most entertaining SM64 run on this site.
I have talked this over in private. Whether the re-instatement of a 16 star would be acceptable or not idk, but the conclusion is that it should do whatever it wants apart from the step blj which obliterates the game. Of course with the recent 4th category to Super Metroid it would be awkward to reject. I estimate that if a 16 star was submitted Today it would get a time of around... 14:40
Editor, Experienced player (730)
AKA wrote:
but the conclusion is that it should do whatever it wants apart from the step blj which obliterates the game.
You're forgetting that a BLJ up the 30 and 70 star doors is what led to the 16 star run in the first place. I'm actually gonna play the devil's advocate and say I'm not looking forward to an improved 16 star run. My reasons: -The point of 16 star is that it was a fastest completion using glitches, a title which the 0 star now holds. As a category, it is obsolete,as well as using old glitches. Also, would using the BLJ through the basement bowser door be used? Would board the bowser's sub be skipped? Is MIPs going to be a requirement? Defining it would be hard, especially since now every single star can be skipped. -Some of the 16 stars in question aren't the most interesting to see. The 120 star run is much better at showing of all the courses, and in under 2 hours to boot! -Speaking of which, I am a patient kind of person, so watching 1 hour 40 minutes for all 120 star is no problem for me, I don't need to see 16 stars in under 15 minutes. I just don't see a reason for it. While other games may get tons of categories, the simple fact is that Mario 64 only has number of stars needed to complete the game, and the fastest is with 0 and there's an entertaining option of 100% for 120 stars. Other than that (CCCless shouldn't have been rejected :-/) all other categories are arbitrary.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Senior Moderator
A glitchless 70-star run is in the works, so, considering that Mario doesn't have any items or other accessories that transfer from stage to stage, pretty much every feasible scenario has been covered. The only concern is movie length, but that alone would hardly constitute another category.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Banned User
I vote NO. I still like the glitchy one Swordless Link came up with. =)
70 stars still make some sense since you have to choose and pick which 70 are the best to use so there's some route planning involved. A 16 star run would be redundant IMO.
I doubt this since a 16 star run would be able to undergo a lot more tests per star in comparison with the 70 star run. Like it or not, the 16 star run will always be more optimal than the 70 star run. Propagating those changes to the 70 star run is a causal event.
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Comicalflop wrote:
-The point of 16 star is that it was a fastest completion using glitches, a title which the 0 star now holds. As a category, it is obsolete,as well as using old glitches.
was a fastest completion is the key thing to note here. While I would disagree with 16-star category on the site, I'm almost curious how optimized things can be. How more optimized could the 16-star have been if the basement BLJ wasn't found? Where would the acheived perfection through 16 stars be? While it seems I may never get these answers since all work on 16-star has been abandoned, it's still something thats interesting to consider.
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
I don't think the levels that get played or their order would change so you could just look at those levels in the next 100% run.
Just for your information, I believe it's in the rules that if you attempt a challenge that has the same goals as a unassisted run, if you do not beat the unassisted run, you are automatically rejected. Food for thought.
Experienced player (576)
i personally think it would be neat to see an optimal 16 star run with using mips as a must
Experienced player (822)
The 16 star runs were a necessary step in the natural progression of SM64 runs, because it was the least stars needed. Now we don't need any. So I don't understand why people are so in love with such a contrived and arbitrary number. If you're going to ask for a new run between the 0 and 120 star runs, a 70 star run w/o using BLJ fits the mold perfectly. Only restricting one glitch is objective (as opposed to a "glitchless" run), and it would finish the game as originally intended. There would be plenty of areas for optimization in terms of route planning, and it is a nice middle ground. So I personally hope that 70 is the new 16.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
mmbossman wrote:
70 is the new 16.
I couldn't agree more. I even thought the sm64 thread agreed a few months ago that forbidding the BLJ would make for a nice 70 star run, but apparently a lot of people are hung on 16 for whatever reason.
mmbossman wrote:
If you're going to ask for a new run between the 0 and 120 star runs, a 70 star run w/o using BLJ fits the mold perfectly.
Maybe people would be more excited about a 70 star run if the proposed restriction was no BLJ in the castle, but you are free to BLJ in the levels all that you want. Or maybe make it simpler and say that you can't do a BLJ past any doors that have a star requirement or BLJ up the endless staircase. actually, that would be harder to define... That may make it obvious that you could do a BLJ through those doors if you do other BLJ's in the levels, but I would think that several levels would become dull if you can't BLJ in them at all. Jolly Roger Bay comes to mind in this case... swimming across the bay would not be as fun as seeing Mario do a BLJ off the cannon, flying over half of the bay.
<ccfreak2k> There is no 'ctrl' button on DeHackEd's computer. DeHackEd is always in control.
I think you'll get all the in-level BLJing you want in the 120 star run.
Experienced player (822)
blahmoomoo wrote:
mmbossman wrote:
If you're going to ask for a new run between the 0 and 120 star runs, a 70 star run w/o using BLJ fits the mold perfectly.
Maybe people would be more excited about a 70 star run if the proposed restriction was no BLJ in the castle, but you are free to BLJ in the levels all that you want. Or maybe make it simpler and say that you can't do a BLJ past any doors that have a star requirement or BLJ up the endless staircase. actually, that would be harder to define... That may make it obvious that you could do a BLJ through those doors if you do other BLJ's in the levels, but I would think that several levels would become dull if you can't BLJ in them at all. Jolly Roger Bay comes to mind in this case... swimming across the bay would not be as fun as seeing Mario do a BLJ off the cannon, flying over half of the bay.
With a no BLJ restriction, there would be very little reason to even enter JRB at all since you wouldn't be able to glitch through the door. So you take out all the swimming except for Board Bowser's Sub, which I think would produce a fun and fast run that has a minimal of slowdown (the swimming levels always sucked to watch anyway [except with the new work on the 120 run]).
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page