My first submission, hope you enjoy
  • Emulator used: VBA 1.7.2 v19.3
  • Aims for Fastest Time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Genre: Platformer
Watch it now on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uahJkCze6VE (poor quality)
About the game
As Wikipedia puts it "The game is a significantly cut-down version of Abe's Oddysee, with only a few similar levels and a condensed plot." You play as Abe, a little dude who wants to escape from being imprisoned, from RuptureFarms. It was released in 1998, a year after the original. The game is essentially a trial and error platformer. The game is composed of 3 stages/levels, with the second being non-linear allowing you choose which order you complete the six stages within the world. Interestingly enough the game has a language called Game Speak, which within this run is only used twice, each time on the same screen.
Enemies:
  • Slogs are the dog like things, usually seen sleeping, if you sneak by them they stay asleep but if you run, roll, or jump near them they awake chasing after you.
  • Paramites are the little creatures crawling around the ground, if one of them is on the screen, they will run away from you unless you fall down to close them or back them into a corner, if two are on screen at once they will be aggressive and chase after you
  • Sligs are the dudes with the legs and guns, you can possess these, though in this game its limited on what you can do (walk and shoot), press select and hold it, once they are possessed, and they will explode giving you control of Abe again
  • Bees, come out of bee hives and keep going in the same pattern over and over again, you can be stung by them but if stung to much you die
  • Bats, fly around usually in a circle pattern, touch them and you are dead
About the run
Within the run I occasionally use a glitch, which gamefaqs refers to as "Super Jump" but I'm gonna call it the Pause Jump Trick (PJT), a programming error left in by the programmers. Essentially when you jump, pause the game while in mid-air and unpause, and the game will repeat the jump animation allowing you to get double the height (if jumping up) or horizontally. In my test run of the game I found some uses for the trick, two of which, I thought, were pretty entertaining, but on my second playthrough I found a faster route (one being only 4 frames faster while the other over 200 frames). Some other 'time savers' were used within the run. If you find a spot you have to jump multiple times in a row, just hold down the jump button. If running off a walkway would lead to dropping down and you need to go the opposite direction, start rolling right before you fall off, saves around 3 frames each time. Another note to mention is that running is the fastest way to get around, assuming you were on a screen with no thing in your way, rolling is 3 to 4 frames slower.
Level by Level descriptions
Title Screen
If you hit A on begin game, you have to click through the 'story screens', if you hit start on begin game you skip it and go straight to the start of the first level.
Stage 1
Nothing complicated here, a neat glitch to mention is with the elevator after you pull the lever, if you run onto the elevator and start going up on the elevator without turning around to quickly, you'll reach the top of by the sleeping Slog, but instead of being able to run to the right, the elevator will drop down really fast, you can hold up while at the top and you will float in midair, doing this glitch though has no time benefits. On the second half of this stage I possess a slig and kill as fast as possible. The hanging bags in the air contain rocks or meat. In this case a rock. Passwords are needed to open 'Chime doors' (though in some cases this can be avoided).
Stage 2
This is the 'hub area' for the multiple stages within stage 2, I choose the door order because it's the fastest possible route (at least from what I've tested). Keeping in mind theres a eight door above the top two doors on the right screen. Door 1 is the the door you come through from stage 1.
Stage 2-1 (Door 2)
Run left, hop up, and now here is something I stumbled upon, jump at a certain part and you'll hit the ground with a 'fall animation' (which happens you fall to great of a distance(not enough to kill you though)) once I stood up, I manage to pull the lever without actually being by the lever (the only time I could do it in the run), which saved a few frames. The 'password' pipe here isn't needed as it is a 'Game Speak' pipe which tells you in what order you need to input commands while talking to the NPC (the only one in the run). Hold select once on the screen with the NPC and it activates the Game Speak screen, simple order, Up Up Down Down, Right. Doing so gives you a ability to make all the mines on the screen explode. Run up grab the lever, run back down, get the ability again, activate the torch switch then hop into the pipe and exit.
Stage 2-2 (Door 3)
Jump from the walkway and it draws out a slig from the next screen, run to the right then possess (watch him shoot thin air in the mean time), once possessed run right kill the next slig, then kill the possessed slig. Grab the rock, hop over, jump over the bat, pass the boulders, 'Sneak' (Up and a direction at the same time) to the lever, get the password, run like hell back to right, blow up the mine, as soon as you can stand up activate the chimes and exit.
Stage 2
Exiting from Door 3, I tested running straight off the edge, jumping as soon as possible, and jumping at the right time to grab the ledge on the next screen, grabbing the ledge was the fastest route, reason picking Door 4 over door 4 over door 5 is because the only way to get to door 6 and 7 is the ledge by door 5.
Stage 2-3 (Door 4)
Using the Super Jump (I'll call it the Pause Jump Trick (PJT)) I hop up to the walkway, run over pull the switch, run back and exit from the original door. Skips pretty much all of the stage.
Stage 2-4 (Door 5)
The order your suppose to do this level is climb up to the top, go right, activate a wheel, hop on on a ledge, then come back down to get pass the Bees. Instead I run pass the bees, hop on the edge, get the password, when the sequence ends a bee 'stings' me and makes jump left. Climb down grab the meat (yup, the rock and meat look identical), hop over, toss the meat, time it so you don't run into the bees, pull the torch lever, run back, climb all the way to the top, run left, toss another piece of meat at the paramite, activate the chimes, exit.
Stage 2-5 (Door 6)
Run right, time the jumps, jump over the bat, deactivate the mines, climb up, deactivate more mines, pull the lever, jump left, sneak over to the password pipe, head back to beginning, exit.
Stage 2-6 (Door 7)
Hop down, turn around, run the other way, attract the paramite, make it follow, turn around and run back just as the boulder falls, get the password, run right. Attract another paramite, run left, hit the boulder switch, kill the paramite run back, pull the switch, two more paramites come down. Somehow pass through the paramite while its in the crawl space, jump, PJT, exit (reason for the PJT, grabbing the ledge will let the paramite eat you)
Stage 2-7
Nothing to note worthy here, after the 'sneaking' part to jump up out of the slog's reach, I have to stall at point for a few frames in order for the paramite to run ahead instead of eating me. Also once I hop into the pipe, I once thought you had to get the meat in order to get to stage 3-1 on the next screen, but I found out there is exactly 1 frame where you can just jump and time hitting up
Stage 3-1
Start off with a PJT to hop up to the pipe as quickly as possible. Next screen I hop up, then jump across a gap, do another PJT, and exit. Skipping a majority of the level.
Stage 3-2
Climb up, fall down to get meat, climb back up. Here's a time saver,jumping into the wall by the lever is actually quicker than running to it, because whne you run into a wall you get this 'stun' animation. Activate elavator,deactivate mine. Another time saver, running (not rolling) right off the edge lets you fall down and grab a ledge, which is faster than hoping over, then falling down onto the pipe. Toss some meat, get the rock, go into the tube, once out, climb back up, reactivate elavator, go up,toss rock to blow up the mine, exit.
Stage 3-3
Do a lot of jumping and climbing, get the rock, keep hopping, run pass the paramites (one will run into the mine and blow it up), deactivate the mines, I did a PJT here, saving roughly 4 frames or so then actually climbing up the other parts of the screen, blow up all 3 mines, activate switch run back, jump over the paramite, run off the edge (grabbing the ledge), drop down to the bottom and hop into the tube.
Stage 3-4
Time a jump to go over the paramite, run left, hop up, fall down jump right to get the password, go to the next screen, turn around and jump, do two PJT to get over the paramite, hop into the tube. Now for some reason I didn't have to activate the chimes to open the door, so hurray time saved
Stage 3-5
Alot of jumping, climbing and falling, do that until you get the meat, go up, fall some more, activate lever, fall, toss some meat for the slog, hop into the tube, fly to the top, jump up to Big Face, End.Now the game doesn't end with automatic credits, the game ends with 3 pictures to show the ending, a 'congratulation' screen, and 5 screens of credits, all of which you manually have to hit a button to go to the next, so I decided to end the run on the congrats screen. If you cycle through it all, the game restarts itself and starts you off at the title screen.
A thing to note is the meat/rock bags, when jumping/walking into one, the game either decides if it falls to the right, or falls to the left. So if you go frame by frame that would explain why I stand still doing nothing for a few frames. On this matter, the very last tube/pipe I hopped into, for some reason if you hop into it automatically, it brings you to a different spot than the end screen, so delaying here is needed to do so.
My test run was 545 frames slower than the finished run, though it has two interesting tricks using the PJT on Stage 2-6 and Stage 3-4 (check it out here) http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/429783629/Oddworld%20Adventures%20%28UE%29%20%5B%5D.vbm
Suggested Description:
Join Abe, your favorite Mudokon, as he runs and jumps his way to victory while in a portable RuptureFarms. On a more serious note, Oddworld Adventures is an attempt to take the popular Oddworld series to the Gameboy, many of the features found in the Playstation version won't be found here.

mmbossman: Entertaining enough movie, particularly for the gameboy. Accepting for publication.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2260: applepieman's GB Oddworld Adventures in 09:07.88
Editor, Experienced player (730)
Sorry, I voted no and forgot to post why. I did not find the game (not even the original on playstation) to be interesting in the slightest. I was bored from the beginning, and had to stop watching even before I got halfway through. Chalk it up to not the best game choice. I couldn't even notice when you were glitch jumping. Edit: Don't despair, it seems 4 people have voted yes without saying why... (hint hint: post why.)
Homepage ☣ Retired
Former player
Ah I loved the original on the Playstation, though since someone is already working on that (and the fact I'm not sure if my computer can handle the playstation emulator) I decided to do the Gameboy version. Glitch jumping or as I put it Pause Jump Trick, happens after a pause. As for the last thing you stated, ya I like to hear some feedback. EDIT: Alright I added bold text and what not to make it easier to read from section to section but I still can't figure how to make it show the image I suggested, what do I need to put by or around the image to make it show up as a image in the submission instead of a link?
Player (208)
Voting No, I really don't think this game is worth watching to anyone who has never played it before. (I've never played it, or even heard of it.) The technical precision of the run seems alright, there's really just nothing technically impressive going on but one jump glitch. The run is short, it does have that going for it. A few people may appreciate this run, but it really just doesn't seem to be an entertaining game. I would suggest better game choice in the future. EDIT: Use the Minor Edit checkbox if you don't want your posts spamming the IRC channel.
Former player
My bad about the IRC spamming thing (didn't realize I was doing it). It was a simple run to make, taking about 5 days to complete.
Never playd the game and even the one on psx and I liked it. At first I wasn't sure if the characther was someone friendly with Earthworm Jim... but look like that no. simply a little "ok game" and this was a good run
Banned User
Voted Yes, OddWorld is a fun series of games. And none of them are overly exciting, as they are all atmospheric games. So instead of saying its boring and voting no [because you would have to do the same for every OddWorld game], I voted Yes, also because it is a valid run.
[00:31:12] <stickie> by the way, thanks for the sig sixofour [00:31:23] <sixofour> dejavu [00:31:25] <sixofour> what sig? [00:31:55] <stickie> you will just have to find out *insert mystical music*
It's kinda Prince of Persia all over again, now with flying abilities Yes vote, Oddworld series is part of gaming history
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Player (120)
applepieman wrote:
what do I need to put by or around the image to make it show up as a image in the submission instead of a link?
I believe you just enclose the image's link in [ ]'s
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Editor, Experienced player (894)
I thought the run was rather fun. Uniformly decent, with a few bright spots coming from clever usage of the jump glitch. I'd vote yes.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
Voted No. While the run seems to have some quirks, it wasn't enough for 9 minutes of twitched monotonous gameplay.
Former player
alden wrote:
I believe you just enclose the image's link in [ ]'s
Thanks a bunch.
Banned User
OmegaWatcher wrote:
It's kinda Prince of Persia all over again, now with flying abilities
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. I didn't know about this game, but it quickly resembled me of Prince of Persia. Which is a good thing. Easy yes vote.
Gone.
Skilled player (1085)
Watching this really makes me look forward to an eventual Abe's Odyssey run. That'll make a great movie; some of you really go for the whole Prince of Persia thing, although personally I hate it, but an OAO tas would show very clever solutions to tough problems in a tough and aesthetically beautiful game. A GB port obviously can't compare and I think some of you may have been unduly harsh here. My expectations were low (of the game) but it seemed to be a little better than I expected. The run seemed to be well done and I thought the use of the glitch was clever in places. Decent for a GB submission, but somewhat weak in comparison with the rest of the site's content. I don't mind yessing this, but it leans close to a meh.
Player (120)
I'm not familiar with this game so this run wasn't super amazing to me, but it appears to be at least somewhat well planned and shows off some glitches so yes, publish it.
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Player (70)
Quick run, nicely executed. Yes-vote.
I voted meh because the game was boring, but you were very precise and it was obviously well thought out
Former player
Although I don't really like this game on PSX, this run was somewhat entertaining. Weak yes vote.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1306] GB Oddworld Adventures by applepieman in 09:07.88
Torrent not working, thought. There's an error in the site
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
The "nothing happens" is a placeholder if there's no .torrent file uploaded for one reason or another. But why publish this if you have no AVI/MP4/MKV for us to enjoy?
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Player (83)
Not sure what happened but I will try to fix it in a sec edit: Should be all set now