Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Emulator used: FCEU 0.98.28 (here converted to an fm2-file that can at least be played in FCEUX 2.1.0, probably others too)
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death as shortcut
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
Here I pwned myself by beating my previous run of this game by 1048 frames (~17.5 seconds).
As with the Donkey Kong run, not much need to be said here either. The majority of the improvements are from a neat trick in Level 2, easy to spot:), but the run is also a little more accurate played overall (about half a second in total) plus it contains a new maneuver at the beginning of level 4. One more new trick is substituting an item for another, for example if I have one bomb and 1 fireball I can turn them into 2 bombs or 2 fireballs, whatever I like. I also tried being more entertaining at the slow boss fights.
See ya, and enjoy!

adelikat: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2367: Aglar's NES Gimmick! in 05:50.69
Senior Moderator
A bit of amusing trivia. Previous run: 44988 rerecords. This run: 44989 rerecords.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Skilled player (1885)
Very nice improvement, and as always with Gimmick!, I'm entertained the whole way through. Easy yes vote.
Expert player (3578)
moozooh wrote:
A bit of amusing trivia. Previous run: 44988 rerecords. This run: 44989 rerecords.
Yup, that's the result of copying the previous movie-file, changing the file name and loading the last frame of this run in record mode.
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
Who woulda thought bombs were basically a star you can hop on without a wall to bounce it off of
Skilled player (1307)
I have a preety good feeling about this run. So I'll just vote yes. (I swear as soon as a submission is published, another one comes immediately after.)
Blaise wrote:
Who woulda thought bombs were basically a star you can hop on without a wall to bounce it off of?
Actually, this was known for quite a while. Sami used it for his 100% run. It just wasnt thought of to use it this way. ;)
Senior Moderator
Upon watching this run, I can only say I wish I had more of it. Full version, please? I bet you could chop like three minutes off of it.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Experienced player (868)
I enjoyed watching this run. It becomes so cool in level 2. Yes!
asfafsafassd You made this run even more awesome? I. Want. AVI. NOW!
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Oh man, I love watching this game. Nice job again! Out of curiosity, it looks like you use a fireball or bomb before you've finished scrolling onto the boss screen (such as in the third-to-last fight of Level 6)... what is that for?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
mklip2001 wrote:
Oh man, I love watching this game. Nice job again! Out of curiosity, it looks like you use a fireball or bomb before you've finished scrolling onto the boss screen (such as in the third-to-last fight of Level 6)... what is that for?
The attacks can carry over from screen to screen, if you time it correctly. Level 1 Boss is very easy to do that on, even playing in real time.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Former player
Well, this was an easy Yes vote.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Player (147)
I find the text on the title screen to be oddly hilarious. Voting yes.
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
Player (120)
Nice movie, funny I've never seen a run of this game before (?!?!?). My loss. Lazy Encode: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1665523/gimmick-taspreview-aglar.mkv
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Thanks for the encode, Alden! Always a pleasure to watch a Gimmick run, and the improvement was not only quite noticeable but also pretty cool. Nice work. :)
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
I love Gimmick! ^__^ This improvement was really cool, the only thing I really miss is the 1ups you should get from jumping consecutively on so many cannonballs. :P
No.
Uploading this to YouTube. Please remove the YouTube link from the previous Gimmik! runs TAS as I will be removing it to prevent duplicate results when people look for this TAS. Uploaded. Edit: I think it desynced, is there any way to get an encode that was made in exactly the same fashion as Kiwi Kraze? Yes vote btw.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Flygon wrote:
Uploading this to YouTube. Please remove the YouTube link from the previous Gimmik! runs TAS as I will be removing it to prevent duplicate results when people look for this TAS. Uploaded. Edit: I think it desynced, is there any way to get an encode that was made in exactly the same fashion as Kiwi Kraze?
Never mind the desync. Thank you for uploading and 'Yes' vote.
Player (120)
Flygon wrote:
Edit: I think it desynced, is there any way to get an encode that was made in exactly the same fashion as Kiwi Kraze?
It was, "AFAIK" :)
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Shoot me, but, what does AFAIK mean? fff
Skilled player (1404)
AFAIK, it means, "As Far As I Know." Nice, the ship was definitely more fun to watch. However, what happened to the death bug? Did that turn out to be slower? :I
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Oh, damn, looks like I'm stuck with a desynced encode than. I loved the TAS itself though. ^_^
Expert player (3578)
Ferret Warlord wrote:
However, what happened to the death bug? Did that turn out to be slower? :I
Yeah, having no death saves 2.5 seconds plus a lot of pain:)
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
Flygon wrote:
Shoot me, but, what does AFAIK mean? fff
As Far As I Know, it means as far as i know :P As for the run, YES! i love the new shortcut, and the game is awesome regardless. yes vote from me along with a recommendation for a star (if we still give those out)
Nice run. Can't wait for the 100% run.