Submission Text Full Submission Page
Aha! I have come back for more!
Here is a quick TAS I made. I'll try to put more stuff later.
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Genre: Platform
  • Genre: Shooter
There is not really much to explain here. Just an average platformer.
Suggested Screenshot: 14281

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2418: Sonikkustar's GB Batman in 10:25.42
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!
Skilled player (1307)
Back! Back you foul beast!
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Wow, the character sprites for this game seem more like Pitfall Harry than Batman. The music is not bad, though the game is almost too simple to make a good run. I just feel like it's a Meh kind of game. If you were looking for suggestions anyway, this submission reminded me of one. How about you try the sequel, Batman: Return of the Joker, but for Game Boy? There's quite a few differences with the NES version: stage select (though you'll probably just want the standard order), a grappling hook, limited batarang ammo obtained from powerups, and such. I think the game also had a tendency to lag, making for a more nontrivial run. I remember it being a tough game when I was a kid. EDIT: There's an old GB/GBC wishlist thread as well with some good stuff. Nobody's posted to that since 2007, but some of the games listed in it are quite good.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Skilled player (1307)
mklip2001 wrote:
If you were looking for suggestions anyway, this submission reminded me of one. How about you try the sequel, Batman: Return of the Joker, but for Game Boy? There's quite a few differences with the NES version: stage select (though you'll probably just want the standard order), a grappling hook, limited batarang ammo obtained from powerups, and such. I think the game also had a tendency to lag, making for a more nontrivial run. I remember it being a tough game when I was a kid.
I actually did do an attempt at Return of The Joker. I stopped because I didn't think it would be interesting. Maybe I'll pick it up again. Thanks for your thoughts.
Editor, Experienced player (894)
Did you, while making the run, ever register corner zipping-related phenomena?
Skilled player (1307)
AKheon wrote:
Did you, while making the run, ever register corner zipping-related phenomena?
I believe I haven't! Can you explain?
There is something slightly strange going on with vertical walls. The easiest way to see it is this: walk off a platform, then push towards the platform's side while falling. Batman will sort of hit something invisible right below the wall. It's easy to notice, and you probably have already. Interestingly, during the auto-scroller near the end of the game, doing this kills Batman if he is at the left side of the screen (the game thinks he is stuck behind a wall?) When the ceiling is low enough, it seems possible to save a frame by jumping towards the ceiling/ceiling's angle correctly. I tested it (at one location) and checked results from the frame counter. I'm pretty new at this, but I believe there was a 1-frame discrepancy between the movie which did the jump and the movie which didn't. (I have a .vbm I can upload if you want a more detailed look at the set-up.) EDIT: now I know the difference was caused because of landing, not touching something in the ceiling. One time, I accidentally managed to get Batman stuck at ceiling-level at the last levels of the game (after the unique up and down moving platforms). I jumped and messed with directions. Suddenly I noticed, that he was two 'tiles' above the lower edge of the wall, and stayed up as long as I was crouching. Then I let go, and he fell... Couldn't reproduce it afterwards.
Skilled player (1307)
I hope I don't have to do the whole TAS all over again because of this new trick. : ( Can I see the vbm. please? This sounds interesting.
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1103850887/corner%20zip%20perhaps.vbm Basically, in this file, Batman jumps at a "correct spot" (haven't tested the actual width or ease of the spot) and reaches the edge of the next platform (indicated by his animation changing to freefall) at frame 59. By not doing the jump or jumping earlier, he begins freefall at frame 60 instead. It might have something to do with Batman's landing (instead of "corner zipping"), though.
I've tried to make TAS of this game some time ago. I've made it up to flying level, and then get tired of the game. At start of the flying level your movie is about 18246th frame, and mine is about 17677th frame, which is huge difference, though you did better in many places of the run (you were ahead after the first boss fight). The main problem is that you didn't skipped cutscene before the flying level. My unfinished attempt is here.
Skilled player (1307)
Is it just the cut scene or are there other parts that looked dirty.
Skilled player (1307)
I just spliced that cut scene a little and now the new time stands at 10:16. Are there any more improvements you guys have for me? Also, I saw that glitch. It didn't seem very useful if it is that slight of a push. I'll wait to submit this when the workbench is not crowded. : ( (Someone clean that place up!)
Player (147)
I was playing this game last night. I found it to be fun and simple, yet clever, platformer. However, I couldn't get past the final stage and I was getting tired, so I decided to watch this run in the morning. It was both entertaining and optomized-looking imo. You even killed the bosses of the shmup stages like I thought you would. I await an improved version. :)
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
Skilled player (1307)
I already have an improved version. I just wont submit it yet. :P