Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Isn't that door at 0:24 meant to require a silver key?
Experienced player (599)
indeed it is, so this means, that this trick can't be combined with bottom of the well bombchus, because you have to do child spirit to make this trick useful ;)
MrGrunz wrote:
here's a new nice trick for the spirit temple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjbh9Upbc2s the point of this trick is to clear the spirit temple as quickly as possible without using the bean. the reason why not using the bean might be quicker is because using the mirror shield early ledge and planting the bean takes a while. getting the bean also takes a nice amount of time, because we could actually skip most of zora's river by using the lost woods warp. this means, that we only go to zora's river to get the bean. so we have to compare: spirit temple without bean and new trick vs. spirit temple with bean + planting bean + getting bean
awesome trick :D I was always a fan of the route straight to spirittemple as a child. This trick makes that route even more awesome!
ZFG
Grunz it took guano 2 minutes to get to the main room and 4 minutes to the mirror shield, it took you 40 seconds to the main room and it took bloob 1 minute to get to the mirror shield from warping to colossus, and a lot of that was pause lag too. Unless you can get from the main room to mirror shield in about 40 seconds (added time for extra warp to plant bean) then bean is still faster. Also, an idea for using the bean trick, what if after entering HF you went straight to ZR, rock clip and grab the bean then off to GV to skip the warp there later? Or would that take more time than a warp?
Experienced player (599)
ZFG, the most significant timesaver is not planting the bean, it is indeed buying the bean, because if we don't buy the bean, we can use the shortcut from lost woods to zora's river also nice idea with the bean thing, but that is unlikely to be quicker, but it is something, that has to be timed ;) it would probably take like 1:20 from the main room to the mirror shield and I'd gain another 15 seconds advantage, as I can skip the small key after the mirror shield. we have to make a TAS of the new spirit temple route until the boss room and also time, how much time the lost woods warp saves etc. it's one of those really complex things, that requier a shitload of testing, sadly
I just watched a 55:19.783 run on nicovideo It's not "optimized," but it's the first sub one hour run I've watched. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10028668
Skilled player (1307)
I cant watch that. But it now sets a goal to reach at least. :)
Player (57)
Do you know who made this run?
Experienced player (872)
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
If someone knows and/or can contact the author. Tell them to please submit to our site.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Here's his profile: http://www.nicovideo.jp/user/5441932/ It says "Yutaka" in his mylist. No other TAS vids under his profile (premium acct), and all his other vids just scream nico'er. He doesn't seem to belong to #TASers either. I am guessing this is the only TAS he has ever done. his email: vega34@gmail.com Edit: I forgot to mention that you can turn the flowing comments off by clicking on the [...] button.
Reviewer, Active player (277)
Speaking of scrolling comments, what's with all the "wwww"s there? I also notice that his video doesn't start from power on. I wonder if he might be using SDA timing rather than TASvideos timing?
arflech
He/Him
it comes from "warau" (laugh; IIRC Japanese verbs are not conjugated, so it could also mean "I laugh" in this context) so "wwww" basically means "lolololol"
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Well it does say "from power on" though.
Experienced player (872)
The author says I didn't encode OP for video quality. And the measure timing is from power on. Nicovideo only accept video(MP4/FLV) which is less than 40MB(who has general account) from 100MB(who has premium account).
Editor, Expert player (2313)
Sonikkustar wrote:
I cant watch that. But it now sets a goal to reach at least. :)
Except he used the Japanese version and I heard text scrolls a lot faster in that version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCLqVMsAxc
Limne
Any
Eh? I didn't see that about the text before. Pretty crazy stuff. Only, the Japanese goes too fast to read... You know, you have to spend all those years in classrooms, pouring through dictionaries and practicing translation; it takes a fair amount of time to read Japanese! Especially when it's blitzes by at lightning speed. In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind seeing the any% run in Japanese... The longer runs that show off all the stuff the casual viewer might feel nostalgic about though really should be in English.
Per the Rules, we prefer the use of the English version unless other versions have glitches or game features that aren't present in the English version. Faster text is not a good reason to switch versions. That said, given the demand for an up-to-date OoT TAS, the admins might be willing to bend the rules this time if the TAS is good...
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Player (36)
It's not like the story would make any sense if the text were in english. :P
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Reviewer, Active player (277)
But if the text were in English, I could tell that the story made no sense, which is part of the charm in these long sequence breaky runs.
Limne
Any
Faster text is not a good reason to switch versions.
No? Not even when the difference is as drastic as that? Eh, it's not as though I feel strongly either way, but I do tend to regard long cut-scenes as the weakest part of any% runs in general. I personally don't see much of a speed-entertainment trade off to (usually) unreadable English; readable text in a 100% run showing off a enough of the game to peak my nostalgia, maybe, but that will never happen on this site. I'll chalk it up to sniveling children who automatically take foreign languages as their cue to ignore whatever it is they're looking at.
Skilled player (1307)
I kinda find it strange that a possible 5 minute improvement may be rejected and yet you let a 1 frame difference in Mega Man 2 slide. I dunno. I just find it strange. :\ That being aside, That run has some REALLY weird routes. There are some routes that we didnt even know about in this run. It seems to be faster at the Temple of Time but slower when he enters Hyrule Field. So there is still room for improvement for sure!
Experienced player (599)
adelikat wrote:
If someone knows and/or can contact the author. Tell them to please submit to our site.
I don't want this run to be published here. it is far away from being optimized. even some sidehopping is unoptimized and the most important thing is, those japanese guys just don't want to watch my youtube videos. I have new tricks for the any% run there, which could have easily saved 1-2 minutes the route he chose is also ultra suboptimal. just a few examples: - old forest escape via hover is way quicker than new one, because it skips the ocarina. could have saved 1 minute here - going to lake hylia and getting golden scale is one of the slowest ways to get a bottle. without using my trick to get the magic bean and skipping the hookshot, coccu bottle is by far quickest this TAS convinces me, that even without the japanese version a sub 55 run is definately possible ;) and I've read someone writing something about tricks he used, we don't know of. I've watched the movie and there's nothing new in this TAS.
MrGrunz wrote:
adelikat wrote:
I don't want this run to be published here. it is far away from being optimized. even some sidehopping is unoptimized and the most important thing is, those japanese guys just don't want to watch my youtube videos. I have new tricks for the any% run there, which could have easily saved 1-2 minutes the route he chose is also ultra suboptimal. just a few examples: - old forest escape via hover is way quicker than new one, because it skips the ocarina. could have saved 1 minute here - going to lake hylia and getting golden scale is one of the slowest ways to get a bottle. without using my trick to get the magic bean and skipping the hookshot, coccu bottle is by far quickest this TAS convinces me, that even without the japanese version a sub 55 run is definately possible ;) and I've read someone writing something about tricks he used, we don't know of. I've watched the movie and there's nothing new in this TAS.
Grunz, would you rather leave GuanoBowl's TAS up? I mean, really, that thing needs to go, and this run is OVER 1:30 FASTER. Is this run better optimized than GuanoBowl's? yes. Is it faster? yes. We need to stop this idea of not publishing a run because there's a better one coming and let a better run obsolete a worse one. Besides, publishing this will not prevent the upcoming OoT any% from being published. By your own admission, you think that the new any% will beat this run outright without using the Japanese version. I'd vote yes if this run showed up in the workbench.
This run was ownage even if Mr Grunz might be able to beat it in the future. - Very nice route as child Link with the exception of using the new forrest escape. This run actually makes me question if the beans are quicker than the hookshot. He definatly saves time later on by grabbing onto stuff with the hookshot. His trialskip in Ganondorfs castle is different from the one I've been used to seeing. Which one is faster? Also I noticed some parts where stuff could be done quicker. Like in the graveyard he could have used the dmgtrick to enter graves faster.