Submission Text Full Submission Page
Zany Golf (1990) is a pretty cool/unique miniature golf game by Will Harvey. You may already know of his games through The Immortal and Marble Madness. This game is more like Marble Madness. The style is similar, but the gameplay is almost the opposite. In MM you control the ball, but here you have minimal control of the ball but you can control various aspects of the course which makes it quite interesting from a TAS perspective. Note that the frame rate in this game is incredibly slow which makes some of the movements jerkier than they would be at 60fps.
The latter holes of this game are notoriously difficult (beating Knockout Nightmare with enough strokes left to beat Energy Enigma is very nasty). Golf games haven't done too well on the workbench in the past, so I was hesitant to submit this, but I feel that this game has enough quirks etc. to set it apart from other monotonous stuff in the genre. I like the music in this game.
Wacky Windmill: Probably the only typical hole in the game. A standard windmill affair. You need to through the windmill to get a hole in one. Going under the windmill brings you out at the lighthouse on the left which is slower.
Hamburger Hill: In this hole a hamburger covers the hole. By tapping the A button the burger can be bounced up and down. This is necessary to get the ball in and is responsible for the slight delay at the start of the level.
Will's Walls: This hole has moving walls and the shot must be timed to get the best deflection. The walls rise from the ground which explains the small delay at the start.
Pinball Palace: In this level the hole at the top left of the table must be unlocked by playing the pinball machine. To unlock it you must hit the switches on the left and right and then the triangle in the middle. You can't tilt the table or anything so I don't have as much control over the ball as you would expect which is why my 'route' looks a little long winded. It was, however, the fastest method I could find.
Frantic Fans: In this level you must move the ball through the level by rotating the fans. It is possible to get a hole in one, but the extensive use of the fans turned out slower. Allowing the ball to come to rest and strike it again saves a bit of time. For some reason moving the ball into the centre tee was ~20 frames faster than the default start.
Chaotic Castle: Putting the ball through the main door causes a small cutscene to play. This costs about three seconds. I instead putt the ball through the side hole to skip it. However this makes it impossible (as far as I could see) to get a hole in one.
Amblin Ant Hill: In this level the hole moves around on a plateau and you can use bumpers to move the ball around. However, I'm able to hit the ball so quickly that it gets to the hole before it moves.
Knock-Out Nightmare: Probably my favorite hole. This is in the style of Breakout/Arkanoid. To unlock the hole to take me to the green I must hit all the blocks. The last part of my block breaking may look suboptimal, but going across the top of the table was the only way that I could find to get rid of the blocks quickly (moving one pixel to the left or right can cause degrees of difference greater than the width of a block). On the green only certain blocks can be putted across otherwise you are warped back to the start. I am able to avoid this by using some fast motion abuse. Unfortunately, this gives me too much speed to land in the hole, therefore to pull it off the cursor position has to be very precise which is why it takes a little longer to set up.
Energy Enigma: To unlock the pipe to the upper floor I must hit the two buttons on the computer.
  • Aims for Fastest Time
  • Genre: Sport

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2632: Mukki's Genesis Zany Golf in 03:01.48
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
This is a game my friend got for his birthday when he was 12. I loved this game and i loved this run, lol. Yes vote. lol i fail
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
If the game is supposed to be this hard, why are all the Par scores so low? The graphics are pretty crappy, but once the more complicated levels rolled around, this was awesome. Also, this is a good bite-sized run. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Emulator Coder
This run is interesting enough, as well as short enough, that it shouldn't bore anybody. The types of things the game uses to keep things interesting make the run interesting enough to put up, in my opinion.
Yes voted, and uploaded to YouTube in High Definition. TODO: Get Mukki's permission to embed the YouTube video into the submission text
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
mklip2001 wrote:
If the game is supposed to be this hard, why are all the Par scores so low?
It's Mini-Golf, a low par is hard. This game is so difficult that in hard mode, they're expecting you to Hole-in-One nearly every hole! It's actually pretty revealing about how hard this game is since the TAS broke exactly even, going under par once even! My uncle had this game when I was young, it's a delightful entry into the woefully under-appreciated Mini-Golf game genre. The only attemptable difficulty in real-life is the Practice mode, where you're given something like 30 strokes, and even to this day I've never gotten past the seventh hole. Questions about the run: 1. The second hole, with the hamburger. You delay to bounce the hamburger, but this is unnecessary--you can press A while the ball is rolling. In fact, while testing this to make sure I remembered correctly, I accidentally got a hole-in-one from firing the ball randomly, with the hamburger sitting still before I fired. 2. The level with the fans...it looked really good, I just wonder what can be done about shortening it to the hole-in-one. I'm sure you tested a lot. Just keeping the fans going won't do it, but maybe if the ball is manipulated closer to the fan before the final hill then you can get more speed to get it down and blown across to the hole. I just can't guarantee that it's faster to do that way though. 3. The pinball machine and the blockbuster hill both looked pretty slow in spots, but I know how hard those are to work AND how dang slow this game moves, so there probably isn't much that can be done. Those last couple holes looked especially awesome, great job on the run, and it was definitely short enough to maintain interest despite being mini-golf.
Goodness, this game's sounds are hideous and the screen runs at such an awkwardly low framerate that this is really difficult to watch. Still voting yes because it looks good and I don't presume to judge what others should find entertaining.
Post subject: Encode + Stream + Optimized Screenshot
Editor, Active player (429)
Encode: http://www.archive.org/download/zanygolf-tas-mukki/zanygolf-tas-mukki.mkv Streaming Link: http://www.zexsoft.com/aktan/?zanygolf-tas-mukki/zanygolf-tas-mukki_512kb Optimized Screenshot: EDIT: THIS ISN'T A PUBLISHABLE ENCODE, GRUNT FOUND A MISTAKE.
Skilled player (1090)
Flygon wrote:
TODO: Get Mukki's permission to embed the YouTube video into the submission text
Granted! But I'll probably need to update the file first.
Twisted Eye wrote:
Questions about the run: 1. The second hole, with the hamburger. You delay to bounce the hamburger, but this is unnecessary--you can press A while the ball is rolling. In fact, while testing this to make sure I remembered correctly, I accidentally got a hole-in-one from firing the ball randomly, with the hamburger sitting still before I fired.
Thanks for pointing this out! I'll test this out tonight and update the submission file.
Twisted Eye wrote:
2. The level with the fans...it looked really good, I just wonder what can be done about shortening it to the hole-in-one. I'm sure you tested a lot. Just keeping the fans going won't do it, but maybe if the ball is manipulated closer to the fan before the final hill then you can get more speed to get it down and blown across to the hole. I just can't guarantee that it's faster to do that way though.
It is possible to get a hole in one on this level, but the final fan has to be used very carefully to pull it off, and even then the ball was traveling at a snail pace when it reached the hole. It turned out faster overall to go over par and hit another powerful shot.
Twisted Eye wrote:
3. The pinball machine and the blockbuster hill both looked pretty slow in spots, but I know how hard those are to work AND how dang slow this game moves, so there probably isn't much that can be done.
I actually finished this run about a week ago, but I didn't want to submit because of the slow spots in these levels. I tried out various ways of speeding them up but was unable to. In the pinball level the range of points that you can hit with the flippers is very narrow. I hit the first switch after releasing the ball onto the table, holding the plunger one frame more or less causes a miss. For the second it rolls down the flipper and I flick it onto the second switch, annoyingly it usually goes down the gutter from here so the best I could do was land it near the flipper (it wouldn't land bang on). For the third one what you must remember is that my main concern is not getting it caught between the bumpers for too long. If you've played the game I'm sure you know how long it can get caught for. I tried various methods and that was the fastest I could get. On breakout the pad does not give you much precision i.e. moving the pad one pixel left or right can cause the ball to go in wildly different directions. At the end of this part of the hole I chose to hit the block on the far left so it went up to the top and back down across the other blocks. This certainly looks slow, but hitting this block on the underside places it in a very unfavorable position. The combinatorial explosion is pretty heavy in pinball and breakout games in general. I retraced my steps back as best I could, slightly altering what I did to try and foster better results, but it was the fastest I could get. EDIT: TwistedEye's idea saved ~ 2 seconds. Very Nice! Unfortunately, this game is not particularly hex friendly so it'll take another few hours to Frankenstein all this input together. Sit tight.
Post subject: Re: Encode + Stream + Optimized Screenshot
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Kyman wrote:
EDIT: THIS ISN'T A PUBLISHABLE ENCODE, GRUNT FOUND A MISTAKE.
Grunt does like to criticize encodes doesn't he? lol
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
For the record, the "mistake" is that there's a Gens message visible other than "Movie playback finished"; specifically "50%" and "100%" at around 2:17 into the encode. Since the submission file is soon to be replaced, though, we will need a new encode anyway! :p Anyway, I feel that this run is a good and novel demonstration of how to play a game as fast as possible; there's clearly a lot of thought that needs to be given to every stroke in order to complete things as quickly as possible. This gets a Yes vote from me.
Skilled player (1090)
I tried hexing in the improvement but I couldn't sync the .gmv. What was strange was that playing Hole 2 in a different way made the tee-off appear 1 pixel to the side in hole 3, which in turn caused the tee-off in Hole 4 (Pinball) appear 4 pixels to the side. This could be a real game-changer for the pinball and breakout holes (good or bad; the options I now have in pinball are awful, but this strat could allow me to change it in a positive way). In any case I'm going to cancel this to allow myself to investigate properly. I'll have the 2 second improvement in Hole 2 and I may shave a few frames off others if I can work out how the tee-off randomness works. I apologise to Flygon and Kyman for the time that they wasted encoding this.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... 'twas dry