Player (101)
Pekopon wrote:
I wonder if anybody even cares about this project anymore? Or if they even knew in the first place? Or if they even Remember it ever existed? Oh well.
I do!
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
*raises hand* I also would like to see this finished, too! Seriously though, I'm surprised there aren't more people working on this. It's Kirby for chrissakes.
Former player
There is a high chance that it will never be finished. The desync issues loom over me so I get completely depressed. I had suffered from a horrible depression after finishing that one stage, and it lasted the whole rest of the day. I don't want to get into that kind of depression again. I'm not at the point where I'd let someone continue the movie though. There is a slight chance that it will someday get finished. I finished my Lady Sia run the other night though! It's in the workbench now. It's a fun game, and it doesn't desync.
What a coincidence. =P I just started working on this again a few days ago. This time it will (probably) be my final time redoing the beginning, because I use frame advance. >_> If you can find any improvements here, tell me. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1366522869/KDL3TAS.smv Also, it isn't hard to do a 2-player run with one person. All it takes is frame advance. Why do I only post in this topic, anyways?
Former player
Well, good luck on your run. I'm sad to say I've now officially dropped the project. The desync stuff just depressed me too much. Though for future runners of the game, the new Snes9x 1.43 v11 fixes the transparency bug that makes see through objects solid. This means you won't have to use Snes9x 1.51 This is the end result of my work. 1-1 to the start of 3-3 (this is just the last link I posted, but figured I should re post it on the Death of Project Reply) http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1514320545/Copy%20%2816%29%20of%20Kirby%27s%20Dream%20Land%20thh%20%28U%29.smv
You dropped this? Wow, desyncs must be evil. It's still ok to use 1.51, right? I'm not good at hex-editing movies to other ones, and some cutscenes won't skip on the same frames using different emulator versions.
Former player
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "is it okay?", but I see no reason why you can't use it. Though I've heard several times on the forums that 1.51 has more desync problems than other versions, which made Dream Land 3 even harder to run. I'm actually very sad that I have to drop this project, but there's just no way I can continue. So yeah, you can use 1.51 if you want I guess. I think your two player run would be way more interesting anyways. My run was pretty dull. There is a major time saver you can use in a two player run in 2-5. You need to have kine with you for this level. Here are some screen shots to help explain it better In order to get the Heart-Star, (that's actually the official term) you'll need to have kine so you can swim against the current and get pitch. But Kine is too big to fit through here. So you need to do a lot of crud to break these so he can cross. Since you have two player, make Gooey go on Kine. Now Gooey can just warp across!
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Nice shortcut. If I ever try to redo my console run, I'll have to remember that.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Awesome. Other possible things could include one player sidetracking to some task (such as the green-thing Chuchu needs to touch to make it happy) while the other heads to ther door -- Gooey can pull Kirby through doors, right? A 2-player run will be a lot more interesting. Unlike every other Kirby game, getting/dropping a power, as well as creating/destroying Gooey, doesn't pause the game at all. So, while Kirby is running forward at full-tilt, Gooey (who will be constantly falling behind and warping back to Kirby) can do all kinds of antics, which includes showcasing otherwise unhelpful powers (his fireball looks really cool!). If Gooey is the one to hold the animal helpers, then it exponentially expands the number of the 56 powers that can be demonstrated. But.... I've noticed that bosses tend to take less damage from attacks if Gooey is present. So you might have to ditch him then. Unrelated note -- you can damage Dark Matter by hitting directly with the Lovelove Stick instead of the heart projectiles -- does this do more damage? Direct attacking can also destroy weak projectiles from both forms (flying buds and blood streaks, respectively). And be sure to have Gooey at least make cameo appearances inbetween and after each battle phase -- his dark-matter form is cute.
Former player
Yeah, I'm almost positive that smacking him with the Heart Rod is more powerful than just shooting a heart. EDIT: I just today discovered that it doesn't matter how you hit him, it always does the same damage, however, the last health always takes more shots than normal, and the first health takes less hits.
Former player
So I know this is oldish, but I thought that I would mention a couple important things about the game. As seen in my old abandoned run, you can swallow an ability enemy and enter a door at the same time to skip the ability animation. To do this, press down or A at the door with an enemy in your mouth. Kirby will duck. on the 6th frame of Kirby's duck, press up and you will go in the door and skip the animation. Each level ends with a jumping mini game. The fastest way to end this is to jump right away and land on the fourth tile. However, the game doesn't always let you jump right away depending on the item set up. The items can change to a certain amount of set ups by jumping at different times to get the Heart Star. But if none of these set ups work, you are in trouble. That's when I discovered that inhaling can manipulate the set ups. Pressing Y in general doesn't make much, if any difference at all. But when you inhale, it can give you different set ups. Inhaling also seems to have an effect in manipulating the stage 3 mini games in each world, so you could maybe manipulate the mini games to give you the first option. As shown in an above post for a two player run, Gooey can warp with Kine past the small space in 2-5. This trick can also be applied in 3-6 to warp Coo through the small space to get one of R.O.B's arms, and with Kine to jump over the large gap to get R.O.B's other arm. Oh, and I do know there are a bunch of things I could have done differently to save time in my run. I did a couple unnecessary things like useing Fireball after getting off of Kine in 2-5
Player (196)
That was quite efficient. Good job. However, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the entertainment factor. Rather than just following Kirby, Gooey should be doing all kinds of silly antics. Especially, since grabbing or dropping powers do not halt gameplay, Gooey should be showing off the abilities that don't help in a speedrun. For example, why did Gooey not obtain & play around with Cutter, Parasol, and Spark on the first level? Also, by having a power stored, Gooey can show some of the helpers' abilities while carrying them. Why didn't Gooey stay with Chuchu on 1-2 & showcase some of her abilities? Also, you seemed not to know that with Coo + Stone, you can fly while Kirby is in rock form. Just some extra entertainment factor for the forced auto-scroll sections. I wouldn't restart the run because of this, but try a little harder in the following areas of the game. While dashing/Coo-flying forward is technically impressive, it can get repetitive.
Player (196)
This is an improved WIP. smv file: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1676686259/KDL3_TAS.smv YouTube file: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pn-MCOPRtE Because sliding is used, it is faster than previous version. After this, I will keep TASing this game. (I'm sorry I do not understand English well.)
Looking good! :)
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Skilled player (1306)
So is anyone still working on this? I would love to see a completed 100% TAS.
Some rounding out of the Kirby games in the TAS list needs to be done, where it has everything barring Kirby's Dream Land 2, 3 and 64. I don't know if 64 will be done anytime soon, as much as I'd love to see it, but at the very least I'd say 3 and 2 need to be done already. A lot of general tips I could give anyone here has already been said more then likely, including the awesome Kine trick in 2-5. SDA actually has a fairly optimized route of this game, but it contains a lot of backtracking to get an important ability needed for the next level; the greater you can cut back on this the much better the final time will be, though for some levels you simply can't avoid it. (The level requiring Nago is a good example, where he's too slow in the previous level)
This is only a little obsessive.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
RinKaenbyou wrote:
Some rounding out of the Kirby games in the TAS list needs to be done, where it has everything barring Kirby's Dream Land 2, 3 and 64. I don't know if 64 will be done anytime soon, as much as I'd love to see it, but at the very least I'd say 3 and 2 need to be done already.
Kirby's Dream Land 2 is already done. It's listed under SGB on the GB/GBC/SGB page.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Editor, Expert player (2312)
KDL3 has already been done: TAS in 01:10:24 (1): Account | Free (2): Account | Free There are some possible improvements and WaddleDX started a new WIP using sliding at some places, but he seems to have stopped progress for now.
Skilled player (1306)
Its already been done? Wow.
Sir VG wrote:
Kirby's Dream Land 2 is already done. It's listed under SGB on the GB/GBC/SGB page.
This is what I get for ignoring a small section. Edit: I realize why I didn't remember it existed, an archive.org encode never actually existed itself, and I guess I never bothered with the movie file. Oh well.
This is only a little obsessive.
It's been quite a while! Coincidentally, when Sonikkustar bumped the topic, I started working on this again on the very same day (and all this time I haven't made any progress because I didn't know how to use the RAM searcher very well. Seriously. >:( ). Anyway... here's a few notes (which includes some already posted here): Values: s01D22,2s,X Speed (Kirby) s01922,2s,X Position (Kirby) s01D24,2s,X Speed (Gooey) (This value is delayed by one frame.) s01924,2s,X Position (Gooey) s01D4A,2s,X Speed (Nago/Kine/Chuchu) s01D4C,2s,X Speed (Rick/Coo/Pitch) (I'm not sure if these two are correct, though.) Fastest ways of traveling (without Coo): Stay running, of course. Letting go of forward while at speed 512 and pressing forward the frame your speed drops below that number will raise it higher than 512. Follow these patterns: - = Don't press left/right, > = Press left/right While on the ground, every time you're on/hit speed 512, follow this pattern: ->->->->->- (512-472>520-480>528-488>536-496>544-504>552-) (Repeated: ->->->->->-->->->->->-->->->->->-) Note: This gives you an average speed of 512. Use only for the tiny period of when your numbers are high (preferably past 528?)! Otherwise, there'll be no gain, or even the loss of pixels. While in midair, every time you're on/hit speed 512, follow this pattern: ->-->-- (512-496>536-520-504>544-528-) (Repeated: ->-->--->-->--->-->--) Tricks: - Kirby and Gooey's X position stay on their same values while with a partner. - About getting powerups: > Every time you get a powerup, you get 2 or 3 lag frames. If you get rid of that powerup, no matter what you do (beside resetting the game), eating an enemy with that same powerup will not produce lag frames. Gaining a different powerup from the one you last had will produce lag, and so will going back to that first powerup after gaining the second one. > Kirby and Gooey have their own "memory" for powerups. For example, if Kirby gets a powerup and Gooey gets that same powerup, Gooey will still cause lag frames. - Find as many cliffs as you can. Near their edges, time it right and slide to get ahead for a few frames. When you land, immediately start running again. - When spitting something out while on ground or landing during the spitting animation, press the jump button to immediately cancel the automatic ducking, so he can do things earlier than before. - At the beginning of every world, reset at the cutscenes, so you can skip them. Use L, R, Start, and Select to reset instead of record resetting. - By sucking while falling at the right time, you can fall faster. - To manipulate what you will land on at the end of the level, randomly press buttons during the transition of entering that room. - Grab partners at the exact frame you enter the next room, so you don't have to wait for the pose they do. - When you eat an enemy for a powerup, swallow it at the same time entering a door so you don't have to wait for the "power showoff" animation. - To manipulate what you'll have to pick at the minigames during levels, change your input two rooms before the minigame. - Before the end minigame, get rid of Gooey so you don't have to wait for him to go. - For any door you can do this, spit Gooey ahead Kirby next to a door, so he can enter it earlier. - During a room transition, hold the left or right button before you're actually seen, so you'll immediately walk forward. Once you see yourself, you can press left or right again so you'll be able to run right away. - When flying with Coo, hold down forward. If something is in the way, hold down up/down for only 1 frame; every time you hold up/down while moving forward, your speed drops to 512. Because of the way lag frames are with powerups, playing around with them too much wastes time. We can't do that anymore... :( Here are two movie files I've made to compare: Normal (Constant 512 Speed) (763 frames) Midair Speed Cycling (753 frames) While cycling, you can't suck in or spit out anything, or your speed will be stuck for the whole animation. Because of this, you need Gooey to be used all the time. Finally, here's a WIP using the tricks so far! It only goes up to the end of the first room of 1-1. Not very far, I know... http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/694060125/Kirby%27s%20Dream%20Land%203%20TAS.smv For those curious, compared to only the first room of 1-1, this is about 22 frames faster compared to WaddleDX's latest posted run here (but compared directly, so I may be kinda off). This whole cycling speed thing just made this game three times harder to run. I'm very sure I won't be continuing it... =( I used SNES9x 1.51+v6 for all of these movies.
Editor, Expert player (2312)
【更新版】星のカービィ3 TAS WIP Author: WaddleDX rerecords: 45261 Part 1 Nicovideo Nicoplayer
Player (196)
MUGG wrote:
【更新版】星のカービィ3 TAS WIP Author: WaddleDX rerecords: 45261 Part 1 Nicovideo Nicoplayer
It is my newest video. I uploaded the same video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEXeytbD6w4 smv file: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/797348696/KDL3_TAS.smv I used the trick what Y0SH1 had written in this run. thanks:)
Whoa! I did NOT expect this! Go WaddleDX! :D (Semi-unrelated note: Ground speed cycling (mostly) doesn't work. I don't know why I said that without checking - it basically gives you the same speed as running normally. You'll have to land on certain speed numbers to actually gain pixels!)