• Aims for fastest time of two players
  • Genre:Shooting
  • Emulator FBA-rr 005a
  • Manipulate luck
  • 2 players
  • Take damage to save time
  • Take death to save time
  • Feeding coins mid-game
  • Allows continues in the game/Also can wait for counting down and add new player
  • Hardest mode

History

history Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001 (c) 1996 Nazca.
A scrolling 'run-and-gun' platform game for one or two players, Metal Slug is a humorous parody of war and specifically of World War II and the Nazis.
The game features six enemy-packed levels, referred to as 'missions'. Players start the game armed only with a pistol, but extra weapons can be picked up and used for greater firepower. Also, at certain points during a level players will find an unused 'Super Vehicle-001' - or Metal Slug - tank which can be entered and driven. The Metal Slug is slow-moving but has very powerful weapons. If the Slug takes too many hits it will break down and start to flash, the player must then quickly exit the vehicle before it explodes. The enemy troops also have vehicles at their disposal, such as tanks, boats and helicopters.
The levels are littered with bearded hostages who, when rescued, award players with either points bonuses (in the form of medals) or weapon power-ups. Available weapons are Heavy Machine Gun, Flame Shot, Rocket Launcher and Shotgun. Hand grenades are also available.
Each level ends with at least one large enemy 'Boss' vehicle that takes many hits to destroy. Once the boss has been destroyed, bonus points are awarded for each prisoner rescued. Further bonus points are awarded if the player's Metal Slug vehicle has survived the boss battle.

Summary

MISSION 1 Get Shortgun and Mechinegun to fight with boss. Jumping over tank to avoid another tank and control the dropping place.
MISSION 2 Gun and Bombs are enough.
MISSION 3 Gun and Bombs are enough.Manipulate luck to get shortgun and mechinegun.
MISSION 4 Getting Shortgun and mechinegun.Bombs are too many.
MISSION 5 There is not many guns can be used.So dying player-1 2 lives for the dying in the MISSION 6.
MISSION 6 Add coin this time.If player-1 not die.One more group of the enemies' soldiers will climb down. Shortguns are not enough to reach the boss.The mechine gun won't disappear for waiting such a long time in metal slug 1. Hitting boss and control the way he go.
End this movie.

feos: YouTube HD encode delivered!

DarkKobold: For consistency, I'll look into this one as well.

DarkKobold: This discussion is getting out of hand - I am locking this submission, and delaying judgment until we come to consensus on using continues in arcade games.
DarkKobold: The community has spoken, and they want to decide on movies that use continues. This one was poorly received, and is being rejected... however...

1 2
5 6
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
X2poet wrote:
Before level 5,Guns and Bonbs are enough.Death will make the screen cannot scroll.
I guess you're right... At least you're consistent on the matter. So I'm voting Yes for the WR in "anything goes" category.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
Atma wrote:
dragonxyk wrote:
Don't you think the death management is a good way to save time?It's great
There's a difference between death management ("I have 2 lives, I can die twice at most") and feeding credits ("I have 2 lives, but I can die as many times as I want because I can give myself as many lives as I desire").
There's also a difference between "you can do something" and "you will do something". A superhuman player ought to be capable of doing many things, while limited to do only a selected few of them in a finite run by the gameplay procedure as well as the decided objectives.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Hmmm, I really don't like the continue... especially since it looks like it wouldn't take that much time to avoid a couple of those 1P deaths and not have to use the continue at all... I would vote no if not for my lurker status, unfortunately only for the continue. I would be much more entertained to see all of this done with 1 credit. EDIT: This post took me past lurker, so a No vote from me.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
X2poet wrote:
MISSION 6 Add coin this time.If player-1 not die.One more group of the enemies' soldiers will climb down. Shortguns are not enough to reach the boss.The mechine gun won't disappear for waiting such a long time in metal slug 1. Hitting boss and control the way he go.
How many actual frames did you save by preventing that group of enemy soldiers at the cost of lives beforehand?\
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Aktan wrote:
[09:55] <Aktan> basically your thought process is stuck to a human playing, when it's not [09:55] <Aktan> this is what I think is "killing" the enjoyment really [09:55] <Aktan> and solely that
^this, precisely
Skilled player (1469)
klmz wrote:
How many actual frames did you save by preventing that group of enemy soldiers at the cost of lives beforehand?\
310 Frames.
Do the work.
the run looks pretty solid but i think the continue are totaly avoidables, without them it would add like 2 or 3 minutes which is totaly acceptable for me. i'll abstain to vote on this one, since the run is technicaly ok but i dislike the goal choice.
Skilled player (1469)
Avoiding the continue means that player-1 game over and I must use player-2 lonely and cannot add new player.
Do the work.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I watched the run a couple times. Interestingly, the first time I watched the run, I completely missed the part where it used the continue. I guess it's because I watched Metal Slug X first that I don't find this one as appealing, but it's work, and it's work well done. I see now what the deaths and continue look like, but I don't see at all the reason why so many people are making such a big deal about it as if one wants to put down the run just for a single action alone. This run does not deserve that treatment. On the other hand, I don't like the deaths either, and I feel they detract from the run. The continue isn't worse than a death; in fact, I think that each one of the five deaths during the last two bosses is worse than the continue. But there is so much good stuff in this run that it deserves publishing, and I vote yes.
X2poet wrote:
Avoiding the continue means that player-1 game over and I must use player-2 lonely and cannot add new player.
i meant to say that you can die twice per character and not dying twice per char on the level 5 boss would only lengthen the run by a minute or two, so you die once for every character for the bomb refil waste the 310 frames for the enemy group that would spawn instead of using the continue and waste your last live at the last boss for another bomb refil then game over a chararcter for a heavy machine gun on the last boss when 1 HMG become faster than 2 pea shooter )
Player (122)
I think that feeding coins mid-game to gain advantage is acceptable,it is creative.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
feos wrote:
The poll, please Policy on Continues in Arcade Games
As I stated in that poll thread, my opinion is that the use of continues should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, because every game handles it differently. Having now watched this run, I am not bothered by the way x2poet uses continues in it, the run looks well planned and optimized and the use of continues is not in any way excessive.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Skilled player (1307)
"Nicos wrote:
then game over a chararcter for a heavy machine gun on the last boss when 1 HMG become faster than 2 pea shooter )
You dont get a Heavy Machine Gun when you continue.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... *burp*!
1 2
5 6