nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
The AVGN rocks, the site is for fun, if the section is presented as a curiosity then it's good, but if it starts to look like the avgn has anything to do with tasvideos then it passes the wrong message.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3599)
I removed the icon, sorry for trying to add some fun ideas to the site. The point is that we now have a way to add different types of filters easily so one can group movies in a variety of ways. Why would I choose AVGN? Because he's very popular among our group and more than one person has brought up the idea. Oh, and he's actually very educational about the consoles and games we TAS. But like I said, I thought it was fun, I should have known better. The filter will still exist, so AVGN will still work, but you won't see the icon displayed any where. If that is unsufficient for complaints let me know. (Note: The icon may still appear for you due to various cache situations for awhile)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Reviewer, Active player (277)
Any chance of getting a commentary icon sometime soon, then?
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
arkiandruski wrote:
I second this hard. Whould actually be informative tag. Just a yellow C letter. Won't distract, as few runs feature comments.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Former player
A bad game warning instead of a AVGN tier should be nice.
Everytime I get home My neighbour's cockroach is in my bed
AVGN reviewed =/= bad game!
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1141)
arkiandruski wrote:
Done (Wiki: Movies-Commentary-Obs).
Former player
feos wrote:
AVGN reviewed =/= bad game!
SMB 3, Battletoads and A2600 Spider Man Ninja Gaiden are great games. A Rolling Rock icon instead of a AVGN would be great
Everytime I get home My neighbour's cockroach is in my bed
Hahahaha, awesome idea.
Editor, Experienced player (852)
Ilari wrote:
arkiandruski wrote:
Done (Wiki: Movies-Commentary-Obs).
Thanks Ilari!
Editor, Experienced player (608)
The commentary group was a great idea. Does it include runs with subtitled YouTube encodes, like the Cave Story run?
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1141)
CoolKirby wrote:
The commentary group was a great idea. Does it include runs with subtitled YouTube encodes, like the Cave Story run?
It does. Flagged that movie.
Editor, Skilled player (1941)
adelikat wrote:
The filter will still exist, so AVGN will still work, but you won't see the icon displayed any where.
Just to be clear since the message is confusing (it was for me). Only the icons beside the movies listed under Latest Publications and The Vault on the Front Page have been removed. No icons of any kind have been removed from the publication entries themselves.
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (769)
I think that the problem with the AVGN icon is that it looks like blatant cross-promotional advertising for AVGN. The worst part is that it isn't; you're just advertising AVGN for free. And the icon appears next to popular videos like SMB3, Castlevania, and Zelda II. I would actually prefer if it were paid cross-promotional advertising, because it would at least financially benefit the owner (nothing wrong with profiting), although it may damage the site's reputation somewhat.
Active player (405)
Holy shit, the butthurt. If you don't like the change, discuss it rationally. To those of you who are really so upset that you type up long emotional responses or announce you're leaving the site forever, grow the fuck up.
Editor, Expert player (2315)
I will be leaving the site forever. Good bye.
Player (33)
MUGG wrote:
Wow. I'm actually surprised no one else has left with all this nonsense going on here recently. It all started with having a million encodes done for every video. Now this confusing tier system, voting on "entertainment" that is overriden by rules that have exceptions, and even this simple AVGN category that makes amazing TASes have a ridiculously ugly image on them. Mugg, good bye.
IronSlayer wrote:
Your counterargument would be like me saying that the Earth is round and then you telling me that I need to show it's flat so I can "prove us all wrong".
Seems legit.
Post subject: [sarcasm][/sarcasm]
Editor, Active player (429)
Oh no, a new idea was implemented! What a disgrace! But not just that, you guys even had the nerve to change it back after it didn't work out! What the hell, this affects me so much!
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2305)
MUGG wrote:
TAXI! Follow that car/person/automobile (I have no idea what mugg is taking) MUGG! I'm coming with you!
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3599)
So if I remove the icon but leave the flag (so that Movies-AVGN still works) will people still need a Taxi? I'm sorry this single icon has caused so much anger.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
adelikat wrote:
So if I remove the icon but leave the flag (so that Movies-AVGN still works) will people still need a Taxi? I'm sorry this single icon has caused so much anger.
Whoops; will it help that I was really, really, drunk when I started this topic? Still, associating the the site with a guy who only has polarizing gimmick that morons love or people hate is pretty dumb.
jlun2 wrote:
Cya in 2 weeks, valuable contributor.
Ohhh, damn.... SO wanted to prove you wrong by just lurking but it seems the internet needs me!
Experienced player (509)
adelikat wrote:
This single icon has not caused so much anger. The decisions made over the last week or two have. It changed what the site is about to reward quickly making speedruns of terrible short games so that we could accept runs for a terrible console. Then the submission feed became overwhelmed with old terrible submissions that no one cared about making any new submission being completely overlooked. It wasn't just that we were adding old terrible games but we were now having over a hundred filling our feed. If they were all going to be accepted without a discussion as most of them never got a comment than why not just accept them without going through that process? Then after we accept a ton of terrible games and fill the feed with them so quality falls to the wayside a controversial tiered system that still doesn't make sense is implemented haphazardly and inconsistently making the site potentially more confusing to traverse than having one category with all of the runs. Then finally, we add a new completely unnecessary tier making a logo for games featured on AVGN. This, again, is not only celebrating mediocrity but especially crappy games. The entire site has shifted from the best of the best and high quality entertainment to meh lets take anything and actually direct people to runs of the worst games of the site essentially endorsing one online personality over the hundreds of other video game personalities that could have been featured. All of this only 7 months after the entirely botched April 1st "joke," the huge controversy and to be honest asshole comments that resulted from the newest Ocarina of Time runs and other things mentioned by Abahbob make me agree that I am surprised more people who have been here for years haven't left. I will continue to view some, though far less than I previously did because the average quality has decreased as a result and I will have more to wade through, and maybe make more as it is a fun hobby but I disagree with the direction the site has taken.
Active player (325)
I don't see anything wrong with keeping the AVGN tag, but I have to agree that the icon is... distracting. Instead, I propose a "bad game" category. It would be applied to games that are notorious for being terrible, or that have Metacritic / Gamefaqs scores of less than 5. Because watching bad games beaten quickly is very fascinating, even if you aren't familiar with them. I think that category should get a cool icon.
Then after we accept a ton of terrible games and fill the feed with them so quality falls to the wayside a controversial tiered system that still doesn't make sense is implemented haphazardly and inconsistently making the site potentially more confusing to traverse than having one category with all of the runs.
All anyone ever does is search for games they recognize or have played before, and watch those movies. The TASvideos community is an exception, especially those who make runs themselves. But outside of the users who post on this forum, nobody is a "TAS connoisseur" who just watches any run that might be entertaining or that has a high score. Normal people just watch runs of games they know, and that's it. All this tier / moons and stars / entertainment score stuff is totally ignored by them anyway. That stuff is just for our own community's sake. The only difference with the new Vault tier is that it increases the likelihood that general visitors will find runs of games they are familiar with, and as far as I am concerned, that is a step in the right direction.
Editor, Player (44)
I like the changes to the site generally, but strongly dislike the AVGN icon. The tag is OK for people who care about searching for that, but as something mostly irrelevant, it definitely doesn't deserve any sort of prominent placement. I'd be happy for the icon to be removed everywhere, with no other changes. @CtrlAltDestroy: many of my favourite TASes and speedruns are for games I never played. Normally, I browse the workbench, or browse the movie lists by platform, for something that looks interesting. And I did that even when I first found the site, before I was really part of the community. Likewise, when I show speedruns to my friends, them having played the game is only a minor benefit in making the choice; being a good speedrun is much more interesting.
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
The decisions made over the last week or two have. It changed what the site is about to reward quickly making speedruns of terrible short games so that we could accept runs for a terrible console.
The change wasn't made just so a2600 runs could be published. It's something a lot of people have wanted for a long time.