What dolphin should i use for metroid prime? I used 4.0-707, though i didnt get full fps with it, the audio was bad and my dtm's do desync. (or it just completely crashes for no apparent reason)
yea i really enjoy tas speedruns i have one WIP TAS of metroid prime you can check it on my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSpEeDrUn?feature=mhee
Experienced player (703)
MrSpEeDrUn wrote:
What dolphin should i use for metroid prime? I used 4.0-707, though i didnt get full fps with it, the audio was bad and my dtm's do desync. (or it just completely crashes for no apparent reason)
If it desyncs that's probably because "Dual core" and "Iddle Skipping" is probably ticked :p
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
i gave it a shot using 4.0-1636; seem to not desync anymore, fixed audio issues mostly, recording video works perfectly fine now. Making good progress for just one day. so: Fixing audio completely and getting a higher performance would be awesome, how is miles running the game at 60 fps almost constantly, even though his computer isnt better than mine? (hes streaming metroid prime on dolphin and it seems to run really good for him) I mean, its not NEEDED for doing a tas, but it would certainly help, since im still having some audio issues. (maybe that'd also prevent possible desync problems)
yea i really enjoy tas speedruns i have one WIP TAS of metroid prime you can check it on my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSpEeDrUn?feature=mhee
Active player (432)
Metroid Prime runs perfectly on my computer (GTX 780 and i7 Haswell). There is nothing wrong with your computer when it comes to "some audio issues". I believe the fault lies with Dolphin but I am very sure it'll be fixed in the future. It should be noted that the audio issue appears if you idle a while and then return for tasing or playing regularly. Otherwise, the audio is intact and works perfectly. Are you going to do a full tas now? If so, you are a good candidate to do so because I've seen some of your latest scores and you have improved a lot since your first runs :)
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
I have not really "improved" much in the couple last weeks, i just improved my time and consistency. I'm pretty sure, if i did a segmented run, i would get below an hour, because my problem isn't knowlege at all (i'm even sometimes giving miles some advice at movement stuff, i know exactly how movement works, which is also why i would consider that'd i be a potential good TASer of this) I also thought about some TAS strats in theory before, which will probably be quite impressive, though a really good TAS would take YEARS to complete, cause of the rediculous possibilities of this game, i mean you can move the morph ball in 255 directions, which ALL influence it, the boost ball has several mechanics with speed and aswell recharging time. Also you can recharge it instantly by going off the ground so thats gonna be BAAAD to optimize, just a little tunnel will probably take DAYS of work. My problem is execution, because i'm not practiced very well, which i don't have at TASing. I only did runs for a couple weeks and got 1:11, which other people only got after doing any% for like a year, and it's a really bad run i can tell you. For instance, Cosysrs got 1:13, after playing for like 9 months i think, and got a pretty lucky 1:09 after that, i've gotten 1:11 twice and a few 1:12-1:14's in the last couple weeks, so you can see, that i'm defenitly capeable of getting much lower. (my sum of best is 1:05, and i can't think of any split that is optimized and im using like 20 splits) Also yeah, my cpu isnt even going over 50% when i run dolphin. (and record? im not sure) I think i can dump with a lossless codec now even. I'm pretty optimistic, if it does really not desync throughout the entire run, theres gonna be a fullgame TAS soon. I actually did a small TAS up to PQ yesterday, though i was being stupid and forgot to hit a little checkbox, which causes some graphic bugs but for some reason it doesn't desync if i check it. (I'll probably do a fullgame TAS in just a couple weeks, considering a decent TAS up to PQ only took me 2 hours to complete, which took me days with my old recording method) Though, don't expect anything optimized for now, that's really difficult to do, think about how you control samus with dolphin, theres probably millions and millions of very precise inputs required in order to do a kinda optimized TAS of this game.
Anything is better than nothing, methinks. It is much better to do evolutionary improvements than revolutionary improvements (i.e. do the ground first, then improve it with time). Looking forward to it and good luck!
Former player
I think in the case of a game that is so ridiculously hard to optimize, the site would accept any run that beats the best unassisted time in every aspect. So don't get discouraged by the complexity of the TAS. Also, as complicated TASing this game may be, at least you have a huge amount of knowledge gathered by the community over the years. Not every TAS has this advantage. If you actually plan on doing this, I wish you good luck!
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Link to video Thanks andy! I went ahead and made a small test video. Slightly higher resolution than you have on a GC, anti laisng x2 for quality improvement. First time i actually rerecorded a DTM file. Some graphic issues, some sound issues, but finally it stops desyncing. Let's see how this proceeds. Also as far as i know loading times are fixed on dolphin 4.0-1592 and above, i'm using 4.0-1694. Doing a TAS without loading time would not only be unfair to other players but also change up game strategies, therefore change up the game and making it not acceptable, though i would still do this, because this would be one hell of a watch. Therefore, fixing loading times is a big step in the right direction. If it continues going well like this, i might be able to do a first full game TAS. Also, now that i'm using DTM files this is way less work, this only took me like 5 minutes and i never used TAS inputs before. (my old method took more than 20 minutes for this and it was like 10 frames slower than this one) Pretty sure this is perfect so far since i think it used the same amount of frames itspersonnal had up to this point, all that matters is that you hit the final scan at the first frame possible, the rest is just all about getting into the zone to get warped in the cutscene and holding L till the scan finishes. I was messing around with the EFB-copy options for 4 hours yesterday, but i couldnt get it to not desync. Since im sick of messing around it, i just want to do my first TAS with the quality shown in the video, quite annoying to have a glitched scan visor, but what can you do... Sound issues could probably be improved by a bit, i'm using Open AL sound with a 40ms latency to filter out sound issues. It was much worse using the other sound options since they don't use that latency feature (it was cutting out really horrible everywhere) Though i wasn't sure what that latency option does, so i was kinda scared to put it up too high, would be nice if someone could explain me what it does, and if i should actually put it higher or not. If it desyncs your audio i think i shouldnt put it over like half a second, 'cause unsynced audio sucks.
Active player (333)
Didn't we agree that it would be more entertaining if a verification movie was made to create a save file so we could skip cutscenes? I think that should be done before a full TAS is with all the unskipable cutscenes.
the problem with ng+ is that skippable cutscenes are rquired to have faster strats/glitches to work so yeah, doing a TAS with that would be stupid (actually going to get my savefile, just beat omega pirate) In my head theres 2 places where cutscene skips would affect the gameplay, omega pirate and parasite queen, those would probably waste ingame time.
Player (98)
In my head theres 2 places where cutscene skips would affect the gameplay, omega pirate and parasite queen, those would probably waste ingame time.
So just opt to not skip the cutscenes that cost ingame time and skip the rest.
Editor, Player (44)
There are a couple of other cutscenes that save in-game time to not skip, because the skips were buggy. One that comes to mind is the one with Ridley flying overhead in Phendrana (skipping it before a certain point affects Samus' spawn position).
Active player (432)
Just saw your wip and although it was like less than 10 seconds, either your graphic card isn't so good or you have messed around with the graphic settings in dolphin because when I scan, I certainly do not get a black screen like you do.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
I know, i did that to prevent desyncing, but now if i turn on that option the graphic bug disappears and its desyncing again for some reason. Edit:
ais523 wrote:
There are a couple of other cutscenes that save in-game time to not skip, because the skips were buggy. One that comes to mind is the one with Ridley flying overhead in Phendrana (skipping it before a certain point affects Samus' spawn position).
Was actually not talking about those kind of cutscenes, those wouldnt affect you when you dont have ng+ because you don't skip them in any% anyways. Also you wouldn't skip a cutscene when you pick up ice beam too, because that makes you able to switch to it before the textbox appears. which saves approximately half a second.
hm tried another option now, the graphic bug seems to be fixed and the dtm didnt unsync till PQ. hopefully that works.
Active player (432)
If you haven't gone through this thread, please do so before you progress further: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12484
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Arc wrote:
natt wrote:
Cooljay wrote:
Are there any accomplished TAS creators willing to start working on this game or do any have this game on their backlog to work on?
Player (223)
No.
Completed: 2010-Current | Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - Individual Level TASes 2014 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Any% in 1:05:03.23 2014 | Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - Hero Story (w/ THC98) in 25:11.87 2016 | Metroid Prime - Any% in 00:37 (In-Game Time) 2018 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Cheat% in 1:42.350 2020 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Any% in 0:39:20.10 2022 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Cheat% in 1:25.567 Currently working on: METROID PRIME ANY%
Active player (432)
Ersatz wrote:
Are there any accomplished TAS creators willing to start working on this game or do any have this game on their backlog to work on?
MrSpEeDrUn has begun working on his tas. Also, there is another person who is interested working on it. Until he recieves help with the route and such, he will at least at some point start working on the frigate.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Arc wrote:
natt wrote:
Cooljay wrote:
Active player (333)
I don't really like posting stuff from other people, but this is pretty important. Link to video itsPersonnal found a way to collect the double jump boots in the Wii version, which was one of the reasons why Prime 1.0 Gamecube was preferred. Any other major time savers the GC versions has over this? The only other one I can remember is a room with a big tree that you have to scan 4 symbols to open, but that can be skipped in 1.0.
Player (223)
For starters, I didn't find that, T3 did. That video was only uploaded to show that I got it first try from loading a save, which is incredibly difficult to do. (it normally takes me anywhere from 30-60 minutes of attempts for me to get it). Secondly, you CANNOT scan dash on the Wii version of Metroid Prime, which is not only the fastest method of movement, but is used to allow a plethora of speed tricks throughout most-all rooms. The Wii version may not have flat out patched certain skips and speedtricks, but doing them with BSJs/Spring Ball/wallcrawling as an alternative is not fast, because it is just that, an alternative. GC will always be the "preferred version" of the game, even later GC releases would all and all be faster than running the game on Wii. That being said, I consider the Wii releases of the game to be entirely different games, comparing between the two seems rather pointless, and that's why I personally am interested in running the Wii version.
Completed: 2010-Current | Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - Individual Level TASes 2014 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Any% in 1:05:03.23 2014 | Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - Hero Story (w/ THC98) in 25:11.87 2016 | Metroid Prime - Any% in 00:37 (In-Game Time) 2018 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Cheat% in 1:42.350 2020 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Any% in 0:39:20.10 2022 | Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Cheat% in 1:25.567 Currently working on: METROID PRIME ANY%
augh I have ALOT to explain do I? you don't need bomb jump to do this you can do a simple SDC Scan Dash Cancel (no not saber dash cancel this isn't mega man x5) where if you scan the object near the Impact Crater it will say object out of range something like that but then do a scan dash and exit the dash after a few frames (must be very precise) you will be standing on the platform on the left than go on to the space jump (I have done this on my real gamecube before) you can do this on console too. and many people say it is impossible on the PAL version. Well fuck that it is possible! ok heres how instead of scan dashing from the back of samuses ship go onto the platform that would lead to the right or the one that would lead to the elevator to Chozo Ruins than on a very precise frame near the left part of the platform very quickly scan dash using samuses ship and there you go oh yeah and also make sure your in range of the platform like near the middle or something as I said VERY precise on timing and frames and there ya go! (Have fun studing this :D)
ロックマンX7は? 私はそのクソゲームを憎む
Skilled player (1079)
kusoman wrote:
augh I have ALOT to explain do I? you don't need bomb jump to do this you can do a simple SDC Scan Dash Cancel (no not saber dash cancel this isn't mega man x5) where if you scan the object near the Impact Crater it will say object out of range something like that but then do a scan dash and exit the dash after a few frames (must be very precise) you will be standing on the platform on the left than go on to the space jump (I have done this on my real gamecube before) you can do this on console too.
You are a special kind of stupid <3
Editor, Expert player (2015)
Video or it didn't happen.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Experienced player (630)
ForgoneMoose wrote:
kusoman wrote:
augh I have ALOT to explain do I? you don't need bomb jump to do this you can do a simple SDC Scan Dash Cancel (no not saber dash cancel this isn't mega man x5) where if you scan the object near the Impact Crater it will say object out of range something like that but then do a scan dash and exit the dash after a few frames (must be very precise) you will be standing on the platform on the left than go on to the space jump (I have done this on my real gamecube before) you can do this on console too.
You are a special kind of stupid <3
I was going to give a more detailed response, but yours is more accurate.
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony