Post subject: Mappy Land
Player (79)
I made a movie of levels 1-1 to 1-8 to see if anyones interested in this game. I remember renting it, its one of those games where you die all the time at first, but gradually get better at it. I think the strategies of doing a speed-run are similar to DK, but its much longer. There are 4 levels total and the kittens get faster and faster, and the gameplay for some levels is a little different, the hardest probably being the fourth stage with the moving trampolines. Since this is my first run I dont know if it was difficult to make or not! http://home.uchicago.edu/~keller/Mappy-Land%20(U).fcm (youll have to cut and paste, i cant get it to appear right)
Former player
Is there an ordinary Mappy-game? Because this wasn't what I had in mind when I downloaded this. However, the game I remember is like this but more simple. And I really liked that game ;) Thus I really liked this game too, even though it is a simple one. I couldn't find anything to complain about. I noticed one stop before a trampoline at one level but I guess that was necessary because a cat was there, but that's all I could think of. Good job. I'd vote for a whole run! Edit: I don't know the physics of the game, but maybe you can jump on the trampolines (if you didn't already do it) instead of walking on them, to save a few frames maybe?
/Walker Boh
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Same as walkerboh, i remember the game MAPPY, this looks like a sequel. I never knew this one existed. About the game, its much more complex, with nice music, some itens variety, and its possible to jump now. But those graphics.... i think they are way worse than the first mappy, this hurts my eyes, terrible colors choices.... About the run it indeed looked good except for the last level, i don't know if its possible to make it faster, but the only level that had me entertained was 1-4. the rest was just too simple to me. And I would guess that this game is endless.
Former player
FODA wrote:
Same as walkerboh, i remember the game MAPPY, this looks like a sequel. I never knew this one existed.
Ah. That's the game I had in mind! I'd really love to see a TAS on that one ;) I can agree to Foda's opinion that this game might be a bit repetitive. But I still think it's a kinda cool game. Maybe more of nostalgic reasons than it being a great game. Oh well.
/Walker Boh
Player (79)
Walker Boh wrote:
I noticed one stop before a trampoline at one level but I guess that was necessary because a cat was there, but that's all I could think of. Edit: I don't know the physics of the game, but maybe you can jump on the trampolines (if you didn't already do it) instead of walking on them, to save a few frames maybe?
Yea, the stop was to avoid hitting the cat. I still havent figured out how random the game is, because it seems like sometimes when i load a saved state twice the cats do different things, and even stopping one frame can make them do something different. I'll have to see if jumping onto the trampoline is any faster. In general jumping is slower than walking, and if you jump onto the left side of the trampoline it makes you jump to the center once before jumping off again. The levels get harder and harder, and have more side-levels sometimes, so hopefully they will be more entertaining. the finished movie should be four times the length of this one.
Editor, Active player (296)
Walker Boh wrote:
FODA wrote:
Same as walkerboh, i remember the game MAPPY, this looks like a sequel. I never knew this one existed.
Ah. That's the game I had in mind! I'd really love to see a TAS on that one ;)
Your wish is granted. https://files.tasvideos.org/bisqwit/mappy.fcm It plays the first 20 levels seriously, then gives up (because there doesn't seem to be end to the levels - after 18 it just seems to loop the same levels with progressively faster kittens). The first and second bonus level could be played faster. I fixed the error in later bonus levels. Edit: And, the first level could be played faster, too. I sort of caught the techniques while playing. I tried to utilize the microwave doors and other kitten-handling measures as well as possible without wasting time for it. Unfortunately I didn't have opportunity to visit the roof or to use the churchbells.
Former player
Oh. I had no idea that there were a run for that game already. Sorry. Great though ;) I really like this game.
/Walker Boh
Walker Boh wrote:
Oh. I had no idea that there were a run for that game already. Sorry.
There wasn't. I created in on the spot. (* *) In fact I recall someone made one once, but I couldn't find reference to it so I created my own.
Former player
Ah. I thought that it was there in the submission queue hiding because of the "pending" in your link.
/Walker Boh
The "pending" directory is for my misc movie files that usually are non-submitted demonstrations of various kinds. Also for WIP runs.
Player (79)
I got through level 2, the movie is at the same link as above. I found one trick that you can see at the end of 2-7 where if you jump at the right time you can fall through the end of the walls instead of falling towards the middle of the trampoline, but i think its only useful if you want to go back in the direction you were coming from. i'll have to check to see if i can use it in the earlier levels.
Former player
unlock this folder to show us what do u got there^^
<small>My big signature was cleared by admin; i should read <a href="http://tasvideos.org/ForumRules.html">forum rules</a>. But... who does?</small>
daniayaw wrote:
unlock this folder to show us what do u got there^^
I assume you were talking to me. https://files.tasvideos.org/bisqwit/list.txt <- here is the list of the contents of that directory.
Player (79)
aaaaaahhh! I got through the run of the four levels (same link as above) and found that FODA was right, it just keeps going! a lot of the levels are improvable (by jumping early onto the trampoline when changing directions, and by not getting the torches in 3-3 and 4-3, which would make the cave in 3-4 and 4-4 be completely black) but i dont know if i should redo it since it doesnt seem like the kind of movie that should be submitted. maybe someone with a lot of patience can see if if there really is an end. also the movie can be shortened by using the level select and going to 1-7 immediately.