1 2
18 19 20 21
Post subject: Mercenaries
Active player (273)
Dimon12321: I'll post here vice youtube's commentary. If/when you want to try Mercenaries I'd suggest Wesker in the Village. A perfect score in the fastest time (by frames, not game clock) should be an achievable ultimate goal. Perfect score would mean all enemies except Bella Sisters (chainsaw) killed during the bonus chests, giving 210400 points. There are 124 total enemies. Derek Taylor's 207100 (Wesker) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6_et1ydDb8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7-FpItfMN4 Wesker can't kill the Bella Sisters quickly, but can dispose of the Another option is Hunk, who can neckbreak the Bella Sisters, but relies heavily on slow acting grenades and weaker TMP for regular enemies: Village 207400 (Hunk): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3sSe7mhrD8 The Waterworld is a stage that may be similar to the Castle in that a perfect score may not be achievable, so I'd consider time less of a priority. Wesker is the best choice in this stage.
Skilled player (1706)
Since you're starting over, why not use the latest revision? It's has loads of improvements compared to 3.5. :o
Active player (333)
jlun2 wrote:
Since you're starting over, why not use the latest revision? It's has loads of improvements compared to 3.5. :o
I couldn't sync the run to get the 9900ptas drop on 4.0., and I tried 4.0 and for RE4 the load times are incredibly fast. The loading makes the intro start about 3 seconds faster, and that's before I control Leon.
Post subject: Re: Mercenaries
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (480)
Ubercapitalist wrote:
Dimon12321: I'll post here vice youtube's commentary. If/when you want to try Mercenaries I'd suggest Wesker in the Village. A perfect score in the fastest time (by frames, not game clock) should be an achievable ultimate goal. Perfect score would mean all enemies except Bella Sisters (chainsaw) killed during the bonus chests, giving 210400 points. There are 124 total enemies. Derek Taylor's 207100 (Wesker) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6_et1ydDb8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7-FpItfMN4 Wesker can't kill the Bella Sisters quickly, but can dispose of the Another option is Hunk, who can neckbreak the Bella Sisters, but relies heavily on slow acting grenades and weaker TMP for regular enemies: Village 207400 (Hunk): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3sSe7mhrD8 The Waterworld is a stage that may be similar to the Castle in that a perfect score may not be achievable, so I'd consider time less of a priority. Wesker is the best choice in this stage.
OK, we're on the place! I have some questions and I know the answers, but I'm not sure: 1. Is it faster to destroy both doors (first entered and second entered) in a single Killer7 aiming? 2. The run looks tool-assisted because all his shots hit the target, he throws granades in all directions and kills enemies, but he takes damage, "lose" time and shoots in chainsawers not in the head when he has ability to do that. My route should be almost the same, right? 3. The main plan is: 1) To take timers and magnum ammo following the route while "collecting" enemies... - Can I take a 1,5 min time at the beginning?? 2) Then go into the biggest house and collect 2 granades (some enemies spawn after I enter the 2nd floor) and go to the barn with a timer and a chest, run around it to make a crowd... - Should I do the same!?? 3) Then take magnum ammo and then enter the next house and take another magnum ammo.... - I'm not sure that enemies spawn that 2 places, but can I take only one ammo? 4) Enter the barn, take the timer, climb up, wait until the crowd comes, take an hourglass and then kill them all... - Can I take an hourglass right off the bat after I climb up, kill the crowd and kill everyone who have not entered the barn? I think that will be my first WIP. I'll upload it tommorom. Everything is correct? P.S: I use Memory Card which Fog sent to your Castle submission: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iolqky18f648a73/MemoryCardA.USA.raw.zip
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Post subject: Re: Mercenaries
Active player (273)
Hi Dimon, 1. Possibly? You can try yourself, determine number of frames to shoot one door, turn, and shoot the other vs. shooting doors straight in front of you. I do know the Killer7 can't shoot through 2 doors at once. 2. The links I provided are not tool assisted, just very skilled players playing very well while also getting very lucky with grenade drops :) They always gather the maximum number of enemies onscreen before grabbing a bonus chest timer, so they can start with a quick 10 kills. You should read Baxter's scoring guide linked from my submission text. I don’t think getting hit is intentional. It may lower the difficulty and improve ammo drops, but that isn’t something you should need while TASing. 3. I'd recommend just following the example videos for your first few runs. Don't try to play perfectly until the route is optimized. This is because playing frame by frame perfection is so time consuming you will not live long enough to build the best route. Just get the hang of the controls, get used to luck manipulation to the point where you can get a grenade drop from any single enemy. Practice getting long range critical pistol headshots using TAS input feature/frame advance. I don't know what the optimum TAS route would be, it will take several attempts. For example, when you use the fast pistol you’ll find the bonus timer still has time remaining at the point it ends in the example videos, so you need to find where you can effectively use the extra time to get the most kills. Once you gain more skill and can get through the game faster, it will be better to skip some of the time extensions, so you are not waiting for 55 seconds for the timer to run out. When I started the TASing the castle, my first few attempt took about 5 days, and the last took about 2 months, two weeks of which was just working on the end of the 1st bonus chest. This is after I already knew the level quite well after playing it way too much in my earlier life. PS: Yes, that is a good memory file to use since it has been verified by Fog, and you won't have to deal with that headache :p Do post WIPs regularly, it is better to get told about improvements early versus later, as you know. I’ll watch it if I can whether you post tomorrow or three months from now, but there is no rush, no pressure. Also, you will not succeed your first attempt, or even your 6th (please accept this), but if you keep going at an easy pace, redoing entire runs and partial runs as you look back and notice improvements, you will eventually get to the point where it will extremely difficult to improve upon by anyone, including yourself. Be patient, there is no hurry… that’s what I like so much about TAS: You can work as slow as you want, and still maintain life :) Take care.
Skilled player (1706)
SoulCal wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
I couldn't sync the run to get the 9900ptas drop on 4.0., and I tried 4.0 and for RE4 the load times are incredibly fast. The loading makes the intro start about 3 seconds faster, and that's before I control Leon.
How about this? https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/5391b2dd9c6fab009daf506d89045ab878c02081/
Merge pull request #327 from magumagu/dvd-seek-time DVD emulation: make seek timing more accurate.
Also from the official website:
For those who don't want load times? The "Speed up Disc Transfer Rate" option in the game properties menu will disable this functionality.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (480)
Hi, community! Recently, I have upgraded my PC and now I have a wish to TAS Assignment Ada and Separate Ways for Wii, but, after the release of Ultimate HD Edition for PC, a question arises: is there any sence to TAS these campigns? Ultimate HD Edition has so small loading times comparing to Wii, GC, PS2 etc and there are speedruns which are impossible to beat using Wii. As a result, TAS can't beat speedrun and all submissions (which lose to speedruns in final time) will be rejected. Am I right?
Skilled player (1706)
Can you technically argue it's a different version? I'm not sure how the standing for ports like this, but I'm well aware the wii has some differences, mainly bugfixes regarding the TMP glitch along with the incredible buff to the plaga removal laser.
Former player
Dimon12321 wrote:
Hi, community! Recently, I have upgraded my PC and now I have a wish to TAS Assignment Ada and Separate Ways for Wii, but, after the release of Ultimate HD Edition for PC, a question arises: is there any sence to TAS these campigns? Ultimate HD Edition has so small loading times comparing to Wii, GC, PS2 etc and there are speedruns which are impossible to beat using Wii. As a result, TAS can't beat speedrun and all submissions (which lose to speedruns in final time) will be rejected. Am I right?
They won't be rejected, since those two versions aren't comparable. And you won't be able to TAS the PC versions anytime soon, so that's even more of a reason to not reject.
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (480)
Oh, that's great!
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
To be more specific: Loading times don't matter when judging, only gameplay. We've published movies that are slower overall due to longer loading times/more lag, but are faster than previous runs due to better gameplay. So while we may compare the gameplay portions of a run to other speedruns/TASes of a game (including different versions), we won't compare loading times as that can't be controlled by the player.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Active player (333)
I would be fine with allowing the feature in Dolphin to speed up disk load times. You right click the ISO in Dolphin, select properties, and checkmark "speed up disk transfer rate." This would effectively give loading equal or slightly slower to the 360/PS3 versions (some testing required of course). I personally see very little reason to TAS the inferior versions (GC and Wii RE4) despite the possibility for a great run, since in Assignment Ada and Separate Ways, at least 10% of the run would be loading screens on Wii, unless we used the increase disk speed option. And yes, I am aware that the gameplay will be judged and not the final time, but if a TAS of Separate Ways is going to be 2 minutes slower than a RTA by default (probably 3 against PC UHD), very few will care about it IMO. The disk speed option would at least put Dolphin and the consoles on a somewhat equal playing field.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (480)
I think there will be some problems with the correct syncing. Is it logically just to cut the loading screens in publication movies like SoulCal did?
Active player (333)
There wouldn't be syncing issues with using the disk access function if you began the TAS with it. However, a dtm file created without the faster disc reading will not sync when played back with it, and vice versa. I made 2 TASs of Ch 1-1 a while back and loading alone was about a 12 second difference. Physically cutting out the load times in the published movie will still have the proper final time, of course. I wish I hadn't cut out the loading tbh, as I seem to have confused quite a number of people wondering why the video length is 10 minutes shorter than the run length.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (480)
SoulCal wrote:
I wish I hadn't cut out the loading tbh, as I seem to have confused quite a number of people wondering why the video length is 10 minutes shorter than the run length.
People are not so attentive to read a discription :-) In all rest you're right!
JosJuice
She/They
Editor, Emulator Coder
The movie will sync fine with the disc speed hack if it's enabled during playback too, but it breaks a site rule, and you should play through the whole game with it before starting the TAS to make sure that it doesn't cause any bugs.
Active player (333)
Desyncing depends on the game i suppose, but RE4 changes the RNG even during load sequences. There are ways to sync parts of the game though. I made 2 TASs a while back; one with the fast disc reading, and one without. The first load screen before controlling Leon began, let's say, 500 frames faster. Therefore, to sync my old run onto the faster disc reading, I delayed starting the game by pressing the start icon 500 frames later. This allowed me to sync my old run to the faster loading, but only for the very first area of the game. Once I got to the village, nothing synced as another 500 frames of loading were removed.
Skilled player (1706)
SoulCal wrote:
There wouldn't be syncing issues with using the disk access function if you began the TAS with it. However, a dtm file created without the faster disc reading will not sync when played back with it, and vice versa. I made 2 TASs of Ch 1-1 a while back and loading alone was about a 12 second difference. Physically cutting out the load times in the published movie will still have the proper final time, of course. I wish I hadn't cut out the loading tbh, as I seem to have confused quite a number of people wondering why the video length is 10 minutes shorter than the run length.
Was the 12 seconds difference ingame time as well? Does loading affect ingame time for this?
Active player (333)
jlun2 wrote:
SoulCal wrote:
Was the 12 seconds difference ingame time as well? Does loading affect ingame time for this?
Load screens are included as part of the game timer, which is why all other versions are far superior for speedrunning. The only advantage GC has is the TMP glitch, which only saves maybe 3 minutes, but loses 10 or so minutes from loading. That 12 second difference is purely loading times.
Skilled player (1706)
JosJuice wrote:
The movie will sync fine with the disc speed hack if it's enabled during playback too, but it breaks a site rule, and you should play through the whole game with it before starting the TAS to make sure that it doesn't cause any bugs.
I've been thinking. Does this behavior also appear when using an USB loader for wii? I recall it being mentioned before, but how does it compare to the "speed up disk transfer rate"? Would this make it more "valid" due to being able to be done on console?
Active player (333)
USB loaders are banned for RTAs afaik, as it is a console modification. We'll just have to wait for something like RE4 Wii on WiiU VC to have fast load times. I do know that the Metroid Prime Trilogy on WiiU VC is a couple seconds faster for every load door.
JosJuice
She/They
Editor, Emulator Coder
jlun2 wrote:
I've been thinking. Does this behavior also appear when using an USB loader for wii? I recall it being mentioned before, but how does it compare to the "speed up disk transfer rate"?
Yes, USB loaders also have this behavior. I don't think the speed is identical, because Dolphin's setting isn't intended to match USB loaders, and they've never been compared as far as I know. Still, both are much faster than regular loading.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (480)
Here are my first attempts in RE4! All notes are in desription! Link to video I could do that much faster, but I have collected my new PC recently and spent half of the time on new games. DTM here: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/27834009263142250 To make it work, play input recording twice! SD-card must be inserted. MOD EDIT: removed ISO link. <3 samsara
Former player
I'd quickly remove that ROM link, this is against site rules. Just saying.
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Active player (333)
Try to get the first enemy to propel backwards from a headshot so he drops something useful like a grenade or pesetas in your running path. If you switch to grenade, keep it out. You only gain 4% extra speed, and you pausing twice counters that with a lot more extra time. I will say though the wiimote aiming is OP. Being able to instantly shoot anything on screen will be entertaining to see. Rather odd though that syncing depends on the SD card and playing the movie twice.
1 2
18 19 20 21