(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Blagger is a platform game created by Antony Crowther and released by Alligata for the Commodore 64 and BBC Micro computers in 1983, Acorn Electron, Amstrad CPC (through Amsoft) and MSX in 1984 and Commodore 16/Commodore Plus/4 in 1985. In some countries this game was released under the name Gangster. The gameplay is similar to that of Manic Miner, also released in 1983. A sequel, Son of Blagger, was released in 1984 with a third and final title Blagger Goes to Hollywood released in 1985.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: openMSX 0.14.0
  • Aims for fastest time

Tricks

Double jump - can be done when you fall on a key, you can make a second jump in either direction.
Using the key for the character may fall from a higher height (Level 10).
Jump in the air - if you jump in an enclosed place your character will walk on air.
This helps pick up the keys early, jumping in advance and picking up keys that would need 2 jumps.
Jump on the walls - this is the most useful trick, to do so you have 2 options.
You can do this by jumping from a long distance and falling near the wall (LEVEL 1). It can also be done near the wall, but there is a certain distance required, otherwise the character will hit the wall.

Other comments

I have to thank openMSX Team members for this TAS.

Fog: Judging.
Fog: As per the discussions happening in the submission topic, it has been pointed out that this is the JP version of the game running on PAL hardware.
The rules clearly state that the emulator and ROM regions must match. If at all possible, please re-sync the movie to play off of JP hardware and re-submit with proper information.
Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5653: Zupapa's MSX Blagger in 14:21.04
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
This was a pretty cool TAS. The mid-air jumps and wall glitches were apparent and allowed for some pretty neat shortcuts. The game itself is pretty slow paced, but you made the best out of it you could. Overall, I'm voting yes for entertainment. That rendition of the Pink Panther theme did it for me.
arflech
He/Him
This must be where "Interblag" came from.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
I did a little bit of research, and it seems you ran the Japanese ROM (published by Micro Cabin) on a PAL machine (the Philips NMS 8250) instead of the usual Panasonic FS-A1WSX (Japanese MSX2+ machine). Therefore, the game runs 16.7% slower than it should. This is especially apparent in that there's Japanese text at the bottom of the screen that isn't present on the European version (see this video for an instance). Also note that the European version says "BY R.S.GOODLEY" instead of "BY MICRO CABIN".
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Active player (262)
The original game was released on cassette by Alligata for the European market. I think that Microcabin released the game in Japan on ROM, without changing much (other than these credits). In other words: the game is most originally played on a European MSX. I.e. it was created for 50Hz. Still, it's a grey area. You can also argue that this particular ROM release was exclusively meant for the Japanese market and should thus have been played on the Japanese machine. The Japanese text is "Microcabin" with its logo. The alternative is loading the game from cassette. Doesn't really make the TAS more entertaning as the loading takes a while...
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Quibus wrote:
The original game was released on cassette by Alligata for the European market. I think that Microcabin released the game in Japan on ROM, without changing much (other than these credits). In other words: the game is most originally played on a European MSX. I.e. it was created for 50Hz. Still, it's a grey area. You can also argue that this particular ROM release was exclusively meant for the Japanese market and should thus have been played on the Japanese machine.
Per TASVideos rules, the emulator region must match the game region. Therefore, a Japanese ROM must be played on a Japanese machine.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... crunchy!