(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This movie has been rejected.
Thanks for all the feedback, appreciation and critiques. I completely understand. I feel good. These help a lot and act as indicator for my future TASes.

Super Sheffy Bros. 3 is a kaizo SMB3 romhack.
Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.3
Frame count: 37143
Record count: 35380

This is fun.
Since there is no other known TAS of this hack, I'm doing it.
Basically it's a showcase of this hack as it is hard for RTA.

General tricks:

Wall jump

Mario can jump off a wall if his foot touches a block even there is a block above it. This is heavily used to skip intended moves.

Shell jump

Throw a shell to a wall before the apex of Mario's jump.

Keeping P speed

By jumping immediately after Mario lands, the P meter won't discharge even he is slower than full running speed. However, he has to watch out for the 256 frame timer that resets Mario's P meter.

Levels:

Parabeatles

Air walking: The game thinks Mario is still on the parabeatles.

Underwater

After grabbing the grab block and destroying the brick block, air is left and no water. The former kills Mario's speed and the latter boosts Mario speed.

Airship

Jumping late on spinners and screws: Mario can jump a few frames after he falls off a spinner or screw even it looks like he can't.

Tanooki

Stuttering: The P meter only charges every 8 frames. By slowing down and accelerating back to full running speed between the intervals, Mario can charge the P meter with less space. Here, Mario barely run out of space but charges it to full.
Jumping on Muncher: By jumping immediately after leaving statue state, Mario doesn't take damage. This is faster than tail swiping the Muncher to turn it into a solid block as doing so requires 2 jumps as the game thinks Mario hit a block above and pushes Mario downwards.
Right before this spot where the two sideways Thwomps are, I tried to statue stomp kill the upper Thwomp to exit statue state faster but I couldn't.

Pipe

Heavily wall jumping to skip the slow platforms. Unfortunately the ! block that changes direction is needed as Mario can't make a jump that lands him beyond the spikes.

Quadruple Shell Jump

With P speed, Mario can perform mid-air shell jumps without walls. Mario turns to the left, bring the shell to the left. He releases the shell while right is pressed. This makes the shell released behind Mario. The speed of the shell is determined by Mario's speed. It takes Mario's speed and add a number to it to be the shell's speed. Soon, with the shell going faster to the right than Mario, Mario can jump off it.

Intentional Death

It is used to spawn the giant blocks that give powerups in later levels.

P Switch

The P switch timer has to run out in order for Mario to pass the coins of arrow without using a shell to break a block which is required to kill a Thwomp.

Kuribo's Shoe

Double jump: Almost impossible to see it in the original game as only one level features this shoe and no spot to perform. Mario in shoe "runs"/hops off a platform without jumping. The jump hasn't used so it allows Mario to jump once falling off a platform.

Bowser's Castle

This is the only spot to perform a P speed block clip without slowing down. Mario has to hit a block at the right distance with enough downward speed. In addition, Mario can enter the chamber a block below.

feos: Changed the branch to reflect the main criterion used for full completion, since "100%" isn't descriptive if it's not a thing in-game.
feos: Feedback on this run wasn't bad, but it was uncertain. People seemed to have voted Yes on gameplay and optimality (which is indeed quite good), but they weren't impressed by the hack itself. Especially considering that we already have a Kaizo SMB3 hack TAS on the site, which is a much more popular SMB3 hack overall, and the movie got much better feedback. It has 12893 downloads on ROMHacking.net. Mario Adventure has 70158. Super Sheffy Bros. 3 only has 729.
The rules on ROM hacks require that hacks "show unique gameplay or brand new content". So hacks naturally have to compete if they're too similar in the gameplay style they feature, and in quality/popularity. If this submission was the first SMB3 hack movie on TASVideos, probably it'd get better feedback and get published, and then probably obsoleted by Kaizo Mario Bros. 3 if it appeared. But since there is a more entertaining Kaizo hack already published, we prefer that.
I still want to say that the TAS skills showcased in this movie are really good, and I liked a few places of this run because they were solved in a creative and surprising way. So I really hope that you continue TASing, Mizumaririn! Thanks for your effort and better luck next time!
Rejecting this one though.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #7100: Mizumaririn's NES Super Mario Bros. 3 "all levels" in 10:18.03
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
I will say this Kaizo hack isn’t too special, but I did find it fun to watch I’ll leave whether this will be published to the judges since thats their call and not mine, but I am giving this a yes vote.
I like to comment on submissions and look around the site. You have probably seen me before (if you have been around for a while) either on the site, Discord, or any other social media. I recently took up making temporary encodes for new submissions. Also, I never forget to greet Tompa wherever I find him! "when resyncing stuff sucks it's called Resuccing" - EZGames69 “If an emulator stops being accepted to the site it should be called an emuLAMEr” - EZGames69 "oh no discord, everything I say will now be logged forever, sdfsdf, time to hide" - Masterjun "just had to give therapy to a taxi with daddy issues" - psx Current Projects: Mother 3 (75% complete)
Acumenium
He/Him
Banned User
I don't see the appeal of Kaizo ROM hacks personally. However, I can tell this is a well-made ROM hack, and the run seems to be well-made, although Kaizo ROM hacks typically only have one way to do things anyway, so... The underwater parts looked fun. Really wish there weren't the auto-scrolling bits---even in a Kaizo setting, they end up more boring than challenging. So I'm giving this a Yes vote. It isn't my cup of tea, but it doesn't have to be either. For ten minutes, this was pretty entertaining, and I like the hard work put into this by both the runner and creator. It shows off some interesting quirks (mostly with the Tanooki suit) that you don't see in normal playthroughs of SMB3, so that's interesting. I had no idea you were temporarily invulnerable after coming out of the statue before this when it was used to walk on those harmful plant enemies.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I'm pretty familiar with the Kaizo hack scene, and this looks like a reasonably good choice of game to show off with a TAS. The run is a good modest length (which makes this a better choice than something like Super Calm Bros), and you take good advantage of playaround opportunities. (My favorite involved the parabeetle airwalks.) I still think Kaizo Bros 3 is a more interesting speedgame, but this has its charm. I don't remember if the judging criteria is still stricter for accepting new hacks. Regardless, I was entertained, and I voted yes. As a side note, it's a shame you have to take an intentional death to refresh the giant powerup blocks. I knew that Kaizo Bros 3 had that problem, but I was hoping future game design would avoid that. Granted, it's only really a problem for deathless runs, which are hard-if-not-impossible for real-time runners...
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Experienced player (852)
I played through this hack casually a while back and it was definitely fun to see it get destroyed. Yes vote
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
mklip2001 wrote:
I don't remember if the judging criteria is still stricter for accepting new hacks.
Non-official games wrote:
Game hacks must be accepted by the community as being entertaining enough to make it to the Moons tier, usually by showing unique gameplay or brand new content. Hacks of the same game may obsolete each other if the new hack is deemed to show off more unique content.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Mizumaririn
Other
Player (237)
Considering this is a small hack and low popularity, should I cancel the submission instead of being rejected?
pronouns: Mizu/Mizu
That way it won't have a chance to get accepted!
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Acumenium
He/Him
Banned User
A majority of voters voted Yes. What is the criteria for voters finding it entertaining for a hack to be accepted? - Yes: 60%, 6 votes - No: 30%, 3 votes - Meh: 10%, 1 vote Factoring in what a "Meh" vote is, it's at 65% approval right now. Do we need a 2/3rds supermajority or something?
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Posting is far more important than just voting when it comes to gauging feedback. So far there's only been three pieces of feedback: 1. "This hack isn't too special, but I voted yes" 2. "I don't see the appeal of hacks like this, but I voted yes" 3. "Kaizo Mario Bros 3 is the better speedgame, but I voted yes" Even if the voting was a little more in the run's favor, that kind of feedback doesn't scream "acceptable" to me. I'll even say that the Meh vote is me, and upon rewatching, it really should have been a No. The run's very well done, but I don't personally find any entertainment in watching TASes of hacks meant specifically for RTA frustration. It removes the point of the hack, you know that it's going to be beaten and it's going to be beaten fast, so there's nothing shocking about it. As a general rule, I'm only confident on a Moon tier/hack acceptance decision if there's a fairly high number of votes (10+, ideally 15+), if the ratio is around 80-85% at minimum, and if there's a good number of posts in the thread that in and of themselves are confidently entertained without needing to add modifiers as to why they voted Yes. Tier judging is the worst part of being a Judge, legitimately. Not a lot of people vote to begin with, let alone post in the thread to back up that vote. Lower ratios would almost certainly be acceptable if there was more voting/posting in general, but given that a good number of submissions don't even get 10 votes or even 3 thread posts, we sort of have to take it on faith most of the time and assume things like "no feedback = no interest = Vault the run or reject the hack". If more people interacted with submissions, not only would tiering be more accurate, but our lives would be much easier in turn.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Acumenium
He/Him
Banned User
That's valid and a very fair way to assess it. These runs are mainly meant to be visually appealing---we all know a TAS is going to complete it. And unless it's a Let's Fail or something on YouTube, you'll always see someone beat a game. It's not even for RTA frustration, no one will ever watch it and be entertained by the endless save/loads from failing to do something. These runs of these hacks are literally just meant to show off and I think this video does it well enough with some situations that just don't happen in the game. I'm not suggesting to change the rules---especially for this hack which I do not feel strongly enough about to be fighting for it like that, but why are rules so strict for hacks? Is it a server space issue?
Samsara
She/They
Acumenium wrote:
I'm not suggesting to change the rules---especially for this hack which I do not feel strongly enough about to be fighting for it like that, but why are rules so strict for hacks? Is it a server space issue?
It's a quality control thing at this point. Allowing hacks in Vault would be saying "We accept all hacks", and accepting all hacks is a surefire way of killing the audience through repetition. Even if we kept turning away aesthetic hacks and translation patches, there are tons of low quality level hacks out there that could be accepted to Vault, so entertainment needs to be a metric in order to prevent that potential spam. I admit it sounds strict and occasionally is, but the system actually works fairly well in practice. It's directly asking the audience what they want to see published, and if they want to see it published, it will be. If they don't, it won't. It's not a perfect system, it tends to break on edge case hacks like this, but I feel that developing a new system would take a lot of effort and add a lot of complication for everyone while only bringing a small amount of positive change, if any at all.
warmCabin wrote:
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I'll comment, since I actually watched it some time ago but didn't feel the need to comment back then. It feels at this point that anything called "Kaizo" exists only to see players suffer (on Youtube, of course), and watching Let's Plays of these hacks can be somewhat entertaining. Unfortunately, a TAS removes this very thing, leaving something which looks like a TAS of any other SMB3 hack. Can a new SMB3 hack at least have custom music? Or at least some new mechanics like Mario Adventure? And I can admit that Mario Adventure is outdated nowadays, even though it was pretty cool for its time. Also, I personally prefer hacks that make it look like I will have fun playing it. This hack, being a Kaizo hack, does the opposite.
Acumenium wrote:
What is the criteria for voters finding it entertaining for a hack to be accepted?
The only thing that determines whether a hack is accepted (or similarly for non-hacks, what tier a movie should go into) is the judge's opinion. Nothing else. One could even argue that voting is completely useless.
Mizumaririn
Other
Player (237)
Well, I just wanted to TAS a hard game and I found this hack. I never considered the aesthetics. I feel successful finishing this, and I'm here to share my joy.
Samsara
She/They
And you're perfectly in the right to do that. Like I said, this run is very well made and you should definitely be proud of it! The only "problem" is the hack choice, which doesn't even make you to blame since it's impossible to know how the audience will react without showing them anything. If you're still interested in hard games and SMB3 hacks, maybe you could look into improving Kaizo Mario Bros 3?
warmCabin wrote:
Former player
I never liked the Kaizo genre, but I gave this a try anyway. The gameplay seems to be on point as far as I can tell, but the hack looks unappealing. I can't give this more than a "meh" and that's mostly due to the short length. To elaborate a bit on my problem with Kaizo TASes in particular, it's really due to the intended gameplay already being based on exploits and speedrunning tricks. So a TAS of such a hack will never look as interesting as one of the base game, since it mostly just does what the hack intends a player to do, just better.
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Around 1:35, is it possible to use the pipe glitch to enter the pipe without waiting for the Para-Beetle? Other than that quibble, I quite enjoyed this, about as much as Kaizo 3. I don't feel qualified to comment on the conversation about which has is more worthy, so taking the 5th on that.
Previous Name: boct1584
This is the same definition of 100% as on SRC, which is actually "all levels", right?
FractalFusion wrote:
The only thing that determines whether a hack is accepted (or similarly for non-hacks, what tier a movie should go into) is the judge's opinion. Nothing else. One could even argue that voting is completely useless.
This is wrong BTW. It's often that a judge doesn't agree with what the audience finds entertaining or boring, and it's not exceptional to go with the audience in the actual judgment. It's how it's been working ever since 2012. Feedback is fundamentally subjective, and it's meant to be an important part of tiering exactly as subjective tastes. Hacks specifically get handled like Moons branches, which means they can obsolete one another. For this one, it looks like a better (and more popular) SMB3 Kaizo hack has already been published and got much better feedback. So improving that movie instead would indeed be a great idea.
Mizumaririn
Other
Player (237)
BigBoct wrote:
Around 1:35, is it possible to use the pipe glitch to enter the pipe without waiting for the Para-Beetle?
Pipe glitch can only performed at the right side of the pipe to my knowledge and I can't reach there earlier.
Mizumaririn
Other
Player (237)
feos wrote:
This is the same definition of 100% as on SRC, which is actually "all levels", right?
Yes.
feos wrote:
Hacks specifically get handled like Moons branches, which means they can obsolete one another. For this one, it looks like a better (and more popular) SMB3 Kaizo hack has already been published and got much better feedback. So improving that movie instead would indeed be a great idea.
In fact, I have moved on to one of the most popular hacks. I don't want to ruin my surprise. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!