Post subject: Why do TAS videos skip story/cut scenes?
Why do TAS videos skip story/cut scenes that occur at the end? I mean like in this TAS for example the game play ends once you've destroyed the Armageddon Machine, why skip all the story as fast as possible after accomplishing the goal of the games game play? Sure the game still requires input to skip through the story sequences but they aren't game play! I would accept skipping story sequences that occur during game play as we want to see the game play that is present after the story sequences, but not story sequences that occur after the final boss has been beaten and the player no longer controls a character or is in a level as you've already accomplished what you've been required to accomplish to beat the game, the story at the end is a bonus that you should take your time to show to viewers. Of course if you don't watch encodes of movies you can likely interrupt the movie file at the right time to manually navigate the story sequences at the end but for those that do watch encodes they don't have that privilege. I'd rather story sequences/cut scenes at the end of a game be skipped through at a reasonable pace to allow viewers to read/view them as it has no bearing on the games game play.
Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB, Windows 10 Pro x64 http://tasvideos.org/Nach/FranpaAlert.html
Lex
The game needs to come to an end, after which it either resets or shows an end sequence, often including credits and/or a "the end" screen. Otherwise, the game isn't considered beaten. In the cited example, the game reset after the end sequence was finished. It was necessary to use input to finish the end sequence that fast. Without the input, the game would have been beaten more slowly (or not at all? I'm not sure here). If you want to watch the end sequence at your own pace, either slow down your video player (MPC-HC can do this easily, including frame advance) or play and beat the game yourself. Speed runs beat games as fast as they can. End sequences are not exceptions.
You should take a look at the movie rules, specifically The Movie Must Be Complete. As Lex noted, the game needs to reach its ending screen (typically credits + "The End" displayed or something along those lines) without further input being required. Now, if the game automatically advances through whatever pre-credits story there is, then you could end input as soon as the game takes over and still reach the end without further input. But not all games do that.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.