Post subject: Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Active player (318)
I remember I had ton of fun with this game, especially in multiplayer. I saw that a speedrun was already made : Link to video and that there was a thread in SDA. It's been a long time since I played this game, but I would like to try to TAS it. Is someone else interested ? I made a test run, but I met many problems : - Dolphin crashed at nearly the end of this video - I had tons of problems with making an encode - I had problems with running it with the recent version of Dolphin (this run was made on the version I used for WoG, which was released in May... - I don't know how to skip the text at 2:59 - I need to plan a route for each level... Speaking of route...
Sonikkustar wrote:
I came up with a new route that is much better than the previous one. Forest Village 1. Save Chicken Elder Oma-Oma! 2. Defeat Era Gecko! 3. Secret Little Forest Hut Pirates Island 4. Save Chicken Elder Uri-Uri! 5. Hurry to the Pirate Ship! 6. Race against King Clippen!! 7. Save Rolly! 8. Treasure in the Captain's Room Dino Mountain 9. Save Chicken Elder Ura-Ura! 10. Defeat the 3 Bone Dragons! Blizzard Castle 11. Save Chicken Elder Ponee! 12. Secret of Ice Castle! 13. After the blizzard... 14. Save Bantam! 15. Race against Queen Rabbish! (Rolly) Head back to Dino Mountain 16. To the Mountaintop! (Bantam) Head back to Forest Village 17. Secret of the Windmill! (Rolly) Circus Park 18. Save Chicken Elder Allani! 19. Secret of the Fun House! 20. The clock stands still... 21. The Caged Crow and the Emblem! 22. Fireworks party! Sand Ruins 23. The Secret of the Giant Egg! 24. Defeat Dark Corvo! 25. Race against King Biboo! (Bantam) 26. Open the Rainbow Gate! Giant Palace 27. Showdown with Dark Raven!
Active player (318)
First WIP : Link to video Any comment ?
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
Good TAS, Good luck for the continuation with all my encouragements!
Editor
Yup, it's a Sonic Team game. Boundaries and design are ignored, again. I can assume your going for a speedrun and not a 100%?
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Active player (318)
Thanks ! This will be an any% speedrun yes. EDIT : Hum, after reflection, would a 100% TAS be more entertaining ? Because I guess an any% TAS of this game would be an optimized speedrun but that would be it. The condition of a 100% is to get all emblems : - Finish all missions - Get Rank S at each level - Get the 280 coins - Complete the Egg Galery The only issue I would see would be the Egg Galery thing... I'm not even sure if we can get all the eggs without the GC/GBA cable... Can anybody confirm ? Else, what do you think ? Any% or 100% ?
Editor
The TAS seems to do breaking things that realtime may not be able to do, but doing a 100% run will take more time to make and may be less entertaining. Me, I haven't played this game enough to know what's what.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
I would be you I shall already make a run any% and if your motivation is always at most after that well you can try to make a run 100% (sorry for my bad English)
Active player (318)
Thanks for the advices, I continued my any% run. I now have 9 emblems out of 26 required. Time : 20:58:21 Plus, a little WIP of the 5th emblem : Link to video
Active player (318)
I re-made the 9 emblems with what I learned and saved 00:32:31 (new time : 20:25:50 ). And I just discovered that rolling+jumping at the same time goes as fast as dashing (the only drawback is that you can't turn...). Not sure if that would save time before, but I'm going to continue with that in my head :)
Active player (306)
STBM wrote:
I re-made the 9 emblems with what I learned and saved 00:32:31 (new time : 20:25:50 ). And I just discovered that rolling+jumping at the same time goes as fast as dashing (the only drawback is that you can't turn...). Not sure if that would save time before, but I'm going to continue with that in my head :)
If rolling + jumping is as fast as dashing, maybe you can use it just for entertainment, some variety in the moves, or maybe jumping to the music, something like that ^^
Active player (318)
It had too many drawbacks to be used to often. Anyway, I finished my TAS, but I'm not going to submit it yet. I'm going to encode it just to see if you think that it is submitable. Time : 1h22m22s53ms (including the credits because of the "Would you like to save ? question asked after...)
Editor
What's odd to me, is why is Chick Poacher basically ignored through the run?
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
STBM wrote:
(including the credits because of the "Would you like to save ? question asked after...)
You can end input as soon as you can start the credits without further input. You can safely ignore anything prompts after the credits, assuming there's no more gameplay or something afterwards.
Active player (318)
hegyak wrote:
What's odd to me, is why is Chick Poacher basically ignored through the run?
There's no use in saving him. Firstly because Dino Mountain isn't great to speedrun (long level), plus with this route we already have enough short levels, combining with the levels we need to complete the game.
rog wrote:
You can end input as soon as you can start the credits without further input. You can safely ignore anything prompts after the credits, assuming there's no more gameplay or something afterwards.
Then that changes everything ! New time : 01:15:52:33 Temporary Encode : Link to video Do you think this is submittable ?
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
Yes It is! :D
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
I just finished watching this from beginning to end, and have to say it's well optimized throughout the hour and 15 minutes. You definitely kept the entertainment going despite it's length.
Active player (318)
Ok then, submission it is ! :D
Active player (318)
Hmmm, reading some comments on the submission thread, I would like to try to optimize this run. But I'm not sure about how to proceed... I mean, should I try all the levels, get all the times and see which route is faster ? (I just made estimations) And about finding glitch, should I try to find them in Real Time or with test in TAS ?
Patashu
He/Him
Try TASing same-frame coincidences, e.g. lots of glitches happen due to the occurrence of two events simultaneously, and they're processed in an unexpected order.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Active player (318)
Ok I tried what I could, but I don't see many options. I tried to take an egg while an ennemi touch me --> does nothing. I tried to press all the buttons at the the same time --> Just jump I tried to kick an egg, and when it roll back to me I take damage of an ennemy --> the egg just stop and the ennemy goes away ... Not very good results xD But I succeded to do that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxZbq01VxAQ So yeah, is there any glitch hunter who could help me by telling me what to do ? I'm trying random stuff, but I'm going nowhere :|
Active player (318)
Little update, I'm still working on a new run with ion12, but not on an any%, but an "56 chicken emblem" run (out of 59 emblems). Why 56 ? Because the 3 emblems left require to hatch all the eggs of the game, take the coins and get rank S at each level, which means that it won't be possible to exploit all the shortcuts found. Also, by doing all the emblems, it should be extremely fast to make an any% run. So I think I will do that in order : - 56 emblem run - Any% - (maybe) 100% EDIT : Five first levels : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmr4YaU-nOk&feature=youtu.be
Active player (318)
First WIP : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adPhQVYTJHo I would like to know if this is optimized this time :) For me it is, but I'm not good at judging TAS :p
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1141)
STBM wrote:
Little update, I'm still working on a new run with ion12, but not on an any%, but an "56 chicken emblem" run (out of 59 emblems). Why 56 ? Because the 3 emblems left require to hatch all the eggs of the game, take the coins and get rank S at each level, which means that it won't be possible to exploit all the shortcuts found.
Somehow this feels arbitrary to me, unless there the remaining 56 are awarded for completing each level (which would make it "all levels" run).
Active player (318)
Ilari wrote:
STBM wrote:
Little update, I'm still working on a new run with ion12, but not on an any%, but an "56 chicken emblem" run (out of 59 emblems). Why 56 ? Because the 3 emblems left require to hatch all the eggs of the game, take the coins and get rank S at each level, which means that it won't be possible to exploit all the shortcuts found.
Somehow this feels arbitrary to me, unless there the remaining 56 are awarded for completing each level (which would make it "all levels" run).
Yes, I should have called it an all levels run sorry :)
THC98
He/Him
Experienced player (906)
STBM wrote:
First WIP : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adPhQVYTJHo I would like to know if this is optimized this time :) For me it is, but I'm not good at judging TAS :p
Hey, this WIP is pretty cool and seems very optimized! I really liked it :D
Youtube Channel | Twitch Channel • Finished projects: GC Sonic Adventure DX - Sonic | GC Sonic Adventure DX - Tails | GC Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - Hero Story | GC Sonic Heroes - Team Sonic • Current projects: GC Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - Dark Story - 1st WIP • Paused projects: GC Sonic Adventure DX - Knuckles - 1st WIP • Individual levels records: Sonic Adventure DX | Sonic Adventure 2: Battle • My Discord: Tales98#0408