Post subject: Vault rules questions
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding. From http://tasvideos.org/Vault.html 1. Level sets with password. At goal choice: * Exception: for games with separate, independent level sets (modes, episodes) officially available from start, each level set can have its TAS in Vault. * Save-anchored movies are not eligible for this tier. What I get is that a crappy game's TAS (Lynx, Virtual Boy, my NES TASes etc) can be published in Vault if the game's level sets are available from start. I'm not allowed to use a code to unlock a fighter in a fighting (let's say mortal kombat) game that otherwise done by completing the game in that session? Or playing an advanced levels of the game with same prerequisite (Chip's challenge maybe). 2. Game "versions" At game choice: - Games on multi-carts are acceptable unless there is a standalone version available. If a game is known to be running differently (for example streemerz, driar, etc), is it allowed as an improvement for a TAS not used that version (if it's allowed in the first place)?
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
Post subject: Re: Vault rules questions
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
MESHUGGAH wrote:
What I get is that a crappy game's TAS (Lynx, Virtual Boy, my NES TASes etc) can be published in Vault if the game's level sets are available from start. I'm not allowed to use a code to unlock a fighter in a fighting (let's say mortal kombat) game that otherwise done by completing the game in that session? Or playing an advanced levels of the game with same prerequisite (Chip's challenge maybe).
As the rule says, using SRAM is not allowed in any case. At that point you're not playing any% anymore and venturing into other types of categories which the Vault doesn't accept. Regarding passwords, the Vault rules defer to the guidelines, which say:
Guidelines wrote:
Using an in-game password to unlock harder difficulties is perfectly acceptable, as long as no other passwords are used, and the password does nothing more than make the game harder or unlock extra areas which will be played.
In other words, using codes or passwords is acceptable but only to unlock a new difficulty or unlock new areas. It is not acceptable to use passwords for upgrading characters, unlocking new characters, or anything else other than aforementioned.
MESHUGGAH wrote:
2. Game "versions" At game choice: - Games on multi-carts are acceptable unless there is a standalone version available. If a game is known to be running differently (for example streemerz, driar, etc), is it allowed as an improvement for a TAS not used that version (if it's allowed in the first place)?
The multicart rule is pretty straightforward. If the game exists standalone, use that version. Only play on a multicart if the game only exists on a multicart. This applies regardless of any previous run's status or existence.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
3. Neo Geo Pocket Big Bang Pro Wrestling (faq: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ngpc/916582-big-bang-pro-wrestling/faqs/11279) This game allows the player to play 4 different modes. The theoriticaly fastest one would be the "coffin" mode, which let's you win by throwing the enemy out of the ring inside the coffin. Example video showing the coffin: https://youtu.be/6ksWQ0E4bQQ?t=129 The theoritically most entertaining one would be the "Reward" which requires you to leave the ring and climb up on a pole. The fighter who climbs up the pole and catches the prize wins. (couldn't find video about it). Since my TAS will target vault, am I allowed to choose the fastest mode (coffin) instead of the normal (normal) mode which is just generic fighting with wrestling rules? I'm also looking for an answer about other fighting games (like Wrestling Madness for NGP, SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium too) aswell.
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
I don't know the game but based on your description, I think Coffin mode would be the most reasonable choice and vaultable.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects