(Link to video)
  • Emulator used: VBA 19 (20 sucks for GB TASing)
  • Plays all levels (you can select stages 1 through 4 as your starting stage)
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Takes damage for entertainment
I'm not sure how people will feel about this one. I think this game is absolutely goofy to the point that I enjoy watching it, but some may feel it's too simple to be entertaining. Optimizing it was not complicated. It was so not-complicated that in most cases, I was more focused on trying to make fun things happen than the frame counter.
Things that look inoptimal, but aren't:
  • Title screen - You really can't do anything until frame 2000 or so.
  • Level 3 - The water has some ridiculous hit-boxes going on. This may be improvable though.
  • Level 6 - The part where I sit there for a few seconds is due to the spikes lowering, and the uncontrollable jump height.
  • Level 7 - As each elevator stops, I must be near the middle, or the screen will not scroll.
To interest those of you reading into watching, let it be known that the following is in this run:
  • One (1) skateboarding clown

adelikat: This movie is just way too grue-vy for this site.

adelikat: Accepting for publication to the Vault

Brandon: Publication underway.

Brandon: Consistent emulator crashing + school starting back up = I can't handle this right now.
Ilari: Well, got some encodes here...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1684: JXQ's GB Skate or Die: Bad 'n Rad in 15:05.85
Skilled player (1671)
This dude brings Tony Hawk to shame! But seriously, really goofy game, and I like really goofy games. Yes vote. Also good going at knocking out the skating diver (How often can you use that sentence?), or if it is a diving skater.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Skilled player (1402)
I didn't enjoy watching the movie, so I vote no. Nice to see you are making TASes again though, keep that up.
Experienced player (612)
Heh, found this one to be quite a laugher. That second boss fight was just hilarious; He just stops, you know, and you're not expecting anything but then all of a sudden... Yeah, lol! Music's not bad for GameBoy, Konami did great work back in the day. Some thing's about the game were interesting or weird like the downhill stages where it appears you're going downhill but as a result you seem to go no faster. Generally, the concept of the game was 'goofy' but enjoyable so I'm going to go ahead and vote yes.
Editor, Expert player (2316)
I found the beginning quite good, but then it got repetive and boring (On the whole it was just going and jumping). But there was some kind of variety and fun. So my vote is meh. Did anyone else notice the game freeze in the end?
Tub
combine an uninspired game with limited movement options and you'll inevitable get a boring movie. Nothing you can do about that. The game didn't change much, there was few variety and it had some long waiting times - starting right at the intro. It had virtually nothing unexpected. A goofy boss every couple of minutes couldn't keep me interested. Altogether less than a minute of interesting scenes in a 15 minute movie - even OoT had a better ratio! *takes cover* :p Good job on trying to make the movie interesting, but for me it just didn't do. Voting no: bad game choice.
m00
Senior Moderator
I agree with Cardboard and VANDAL. The game stands out for its hilarity (that, and ripping off Doom soundtrack), and some of JXQ's antics were really enjoyable. Such moments happened not too often, but still I think I enjoyed it more than the NES counterpart. Weak-ish yes vote.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
I'm leaning on the positive side of meh. The most interesting parts of the run came from the game's wackiness itself. Silly having everyone on skateboards and trying to kill you and spikes and drills and boulders and everything. But the run itself like others said was just run here jump there no variety nothing too special nor interesting. In the end I was occasionally amused and all buuuuuut...
Post subject: Re: #1684: JXQ's GB Skate or Die - Bad 'n Rad in 15:05.85
Active player (435)
I have to agree with Baxter and Tub, I found the submission text more entertaining. Cause of this:
JXQ wrote:
To interest those of you reading into watching, let it be known that the following is in this run: One (1) skateboarding clown
The music was actually not too bad, but the game felt very slow for me. Voting No.
I'm sciencing as fast as I can ! ______________________________________ <adelikat> once more balls enter the picture, everything gets a lot more entertraining <adelikat> mmmmm yummy penises
Overall not too impressed, some of the levels made such lack of sense it was hilarious, however others droned on and on... A better suggested screenshot: Nothin against you, JXQ, but goddamn this is a bad game to TAS XD EDIT: Forgot to say that I voted no :3
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
The game was definitely BAD! but not quite CRAZY! enough for me to stop leaning on the fast-forward button. Voted no.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (724)
Oh my, this's even worse than NES Skate Or Die 2.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Former player
Vote no because JXQ told me to.
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
jimsfriend wrote:
Add this to moozooh's list.
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Former player
jimsfriend wrote:
Voted yes to piss of jimsfriend and JXQ.
Zoey Ridin' High <Fabian_> I prett much never drunk
Fabian wrote:
jimsfriend wrote:
Voted yes to piss of jimsfriend and JXQ.
Add this one to Moozooh's list too? [Next stop, bad reason #100!] Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!
Banned User, Former player
There is another Skate-or-Die game I noticed: Tour de Thrash. JXQ: maybe you can pull something out of that?!
Do I look like someone who really cares what God thinks?! "GI Joe: The Atlantis Factor" - May be improved in the future.
C0DE RED wrote:
There is another Skate-or-Die game I noticed: Tour de Thrash. JXQ: maybe you can pull something out of that?!
I vote no.
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote:
Experienced player (822)
Sticky wrote:
C0DE RED wrote:
I vote no.
I vote for codeportalofsymbolicpixelgoroundxrainred to stop and think before posting, especially since JXQ hasn't shown any interest in TASing for the past 2 years.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Banned User, Former player
mmbossman wrote:
Sticky wrote:
C0DE RED wrote:
I vote no.
I vote for codeportalofsymbolicpixelgoroundxrainred to stop and think before posting, especially since JXQ hasn't shown any interest in TASing for the past 2 years.
I vote for mmbossman to wake up the next morning with a cow sitting on top of him, not knowing what hit him to begin with. Besides, no one was talking to you anyway.
Do I look like someone who really cares what God thinks?! "GI Joe: The Atlantis Factor" - May be improved in the future.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh man, that is classic.
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote: