Post subject: The Lucky Dime Caper
Former player
Hey, has anyone yet thought about TASing this game? It's one of my favorites on the SMS. If nobody wants to, I could give it a try as well, although I'm highly unexperienced about TASing in general.
Hi! I lyke this game so much, but never had think about a tas. Donald walk veeeeery slowly. []s
ErmacOne Strogonoficamente sensível...
Former player
That's just the thing that disturbs me a little as well. On the other hand, Ninja Gaiden got published just some days ago and it's not that must faster, I guess. Anyway, maybe I'll find some time on the weekend to post a WIP.
Former player
I was finally bored enough to start a TAS and here it is: MMV YT It's my very first TAS and it's definitely improvable. I'm unsure whether or not to continue this, still I'm not going to submit it at any time. It's rather supposed to push the thread so that a sophisticated TASer might want to give this game a try. Comments are of course highly appreciated. Part2 (now with even worse boss fights!): MMV YT
Player (120)
Looks pretty good so far... I played around a little with this game before. There are definitely some spots where it looks like you could go a bit faster. I bet if you did a revision after finishing this test run you'd have a publishable movie. Did you use memory watches at all? I'd be happy to help out with that if not. Keep up the good work and let's see some more SMS runs on the workbench ;) (not that I'm helping with that...)
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Former player
Thanks for your encouraging thoughts. :) I'm about to start the last part (only one level left, iirc it's the longest even), maybe I'll have this done tomorrow. /edit: Actually, no, I have not checked any memory addresses. If you happen to have some handy, they might turn out to be useful. But, as said, I don't think I'm going to TAS this game again for a long time. It was basically just a game I loved in my childhood and was never able to beat by my own back then. Seeing what it would look like when played "properly" was I all wanted. Still I'd love to see a WIP of yours (as I think of you as an talented TASer) on that game as well, maybe we could even colaborate on this some time. Anyway, it's done! :) MMV YT
Good job, kept me entertained.
alden wrote:
Keep up the good work and let's see some more SMS runs on the workbench
Aww, no love for the game gear :(
"No love for the game gear"
Former player
Wockes wrote:
no love for the game gear :(
I don't know who posted this sentence initially, but every time I hear/think about Sega I hear "no love for the game gear? :(" -.-
Former player
Due to several optimizations, I have saved 138 frames after level 1 already and I think I could even make it 140. This time, though, I'm withholding WIPs and YT encodes, but will post about improvements in case anybody's interested. If not, I'll just shut it and work on it until I think it's ready to be submitted.
Player (120)
Glad to hear you were able to improve it so much... I look forward to the final result.
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
Ok, is it too late to discuss this PAL/NTSC thing? Here, in Brazil, this game only runs as NTSC, which makes a 16:30 TAS video, .. and I think that's what was released here, a NTSC version.... O_o this PAL thing is too slow and the TAS skills could improve a lot, anyway, after seeing wwmarx's video.. but there are parts where ShinyDoofy's version looks better, ... I think the version should be NTSC and both player's skills should be combined to make a final version TAS of this game, in an improved way, ... or maybe the PAL rule is not optional? ... I mean, in the rules, it really says it's only a rule for NES games and some Genesis games O.o Why can't it run as 60 Hz if it was released this way? @__@
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
I have been replaying this game, and I've found some glitches, slightly bizarre movements and possible shortcuts, a way to end the movie earlier, and I could even shave some good 400 frames in best TAS conditions, so maybe I'll work on this, if ShinyDoofy and WWMarx aren't working on it anymore.... And if 60Hz brazilian release starts being accepted, I would hate to see it running as slow european... @__@ EDIT: (and if not, maybe I'd see if what I learned applies to Game Gear version...) >_>
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
Hi, TASPlayers! I decided to improving this game. New WIP: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/31392327596153234 New Tricks: Jump Technique As well as Ghouls'n Ghosts (Genesis & Arcade Versions), jumping is faster than walking! It's not exactly a trick, but saves time! Ledge Glitch After defeating a Boss, if Donald there balancing on a ledge at right side, instead to go of center screen, Donald will at right corner of the screen, saving much time, depending of position. Stage 1 - Forest Throughout the stage, I saved a second with Jump. A trampoline of this stage is skipped, saving 20 frames. After the first vine, with a Jump, a Second is saved holding up the speed gained on the vine. 143 frames ahead in the stage. Boss - Bear 174 Frames is saved on Boss attacking as soon as possible. After this, the Ledge Glitch is used, saving 81 frames. 398 frames ahead. The Score Screen appear in the wrong position because of Stage was finished on the right side. For some unknown reason, 2 frames is lost during the Score Screen. 396 frames ahead of the published run.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
Mega Super WIP: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/33301641556208835 Lots of improvements helped and several mistakes/flaws fixed to improve this run. Stages 2-6 Finished! 3232 frames ahead.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
This TAS is finished! 4570 frames (84,69 seconds) faster than ShinyDoofy's run. Details included in the link: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/33376568584241226
Why did you do the TAS at PAL speeds? Lucky Dime Caper was released in Brazil where they have 60hz consoles.
Just finished watching through it, and despite it being in 50hz, excellent work! However, there are some screenwraps you didn't utilize in stage 7. This one: https://youtu.be/0vGohFn_mVo?t=1150 And another one you can do at the bottom of the spike room, where you can take damage on the spikes on the sides, and skip the entire next room. Which is too dangerous for a speedrun, but definitely a decent timesaver for the TAS.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
KrazyRasmus wrote:
Why did you do the TAS at PAL speeds? Lucky Dime Caper was released in Brazil where they have 60hz consoles. Just finished watching through it, and despite it being in 50hz, excellent work! However, there are some screenwraps you didn't utilize in stage 7. This one: https://youtu.be/0vGohFn_mVo?t=1150 And another one you can do at the bottom of the spike room, where you can take damage on the spikes on the sides, and skip the entire next room. Which is too dangerous for a speedrun, but definitely a decent timesaver for the TAS.
I used the European ROM because this is a PAL game version. Brazilian 60hz version, I don't know if have a rom or no. Excellent strategy, KrazyRasmus! I was already planning to fix this Stage 7. I did a mistake in one path, losing 16 frames. EDIT: I tested this second strategy! Good find!
The brazilian ROM is the same as the PAL one. On the Master System, it's the console that decides the hertz.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
v2 TAS: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/33664234786676273 Reimproved Stage 7 with 2 screenwraps. Thanks to KrazyRasmus for this! 604 frames (12.1 seconds) faster than my previous TAS.