Post subject: Bananan Ouji no Dai Bouken (Banana Prince)
This is the best action game, is some much fun, colorful, high jumps, friuedns , lots of crazy monsters. I would love see on tas of this game. But i cant do myself, cause i dont speak japanese, either gaerman dutch language. There isnt an english version. So I dont know what to do. Emulator used--> fceux-2.1.2-win32 Rom Used ------> Bananan Ouji no Dai Bouken (J) its now obsolete (complete till stage 4-2) I will redo my movie again. And save some frames.
Run..Run...Run.....
Sounds like a run Aqfaq has done.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Hi there. I plan to do a run of this game. The game is very obscure and there is not much useful information out there. GameFAQ's walkthrough is bare bones and mostly consists of "keep going right"; the power-ups are never explained. Garbage. A speedrun exists on youtube. It is helpful to watch someone else play the game and see what tricks they use (honestly, it looks tool-assisted to me but that doesn't matter). General info about this game:
    B button - sword attack. does not stop character from moving. A button - jump. slow. should be avoided. down B - beanstalk. sometimes mandatory to reach across gaps and up platforms. can attack when climbing. jumping produces a spin jump that harms enemies. down A - slide. fastest movement. if you hit a wall a lengthy animation plays, so that will be avoided. seven worlds each with three levels and a boss collect rings and use them for currency when you complete a level you get a choice to buy a weapon upgrade or play a dice game for more rings there are doors scattered across the level for the weapon shop, dice game, board game/quiz show, healing, and warp. weapon upgrade. upgrades will shoot a projectile as you swing the sword. the projectile will be single, double vertical, or double horizontal. in later levels the upgrade will increase the size and distance of the projectile. i still have a lot to learn about the weapons. board game/quiz show. i don't understand the point of it yet. warps. there is a warp in 1-2 that skips 1-3 and the boss. some of the secret/harder to get to doors will warp you to later in the level. i will be searching for these. the items/powerups i understand: old man(dragon master) he hovers above you and collects rings that he touches and occasionally fly around you killing enemies. flower increases the height of your beanstalk. angel gives you invulnerability. when taking damage you go upwards and get some invicibility.
theres a europena version of the game release in german by takara( same as japan) most of changes are sprites. but the text is all in dutch. theres a patch to english i dont know the site rules for translation patches
Run..Run...Run.....
wicked wrote:
theres a europena version of the game release in german by takara( same as japan) most of changes are sprites. but the text is all in deutsch.
Fixed. :P Why patching a translation patch on it? AFAIK every text is skipable in this game. Who would read it anyway, honestly?
Contra Force deserves a TAS. D':
Eightbit Allstar wrote:
Why patching a translation patch on it? AFAIK every text is skipable in this game. Who would read it anyway, honestly?
i guess you right. but for the autor of the running, he must know what weapon he must buy, and before the final boss theres a trivia, must win 4 question, then you get acess to the last battle. anyway still in doubt which would be better the Janpan version or European (in German text)
Run..Run...Run.....
Former player
It's a TAS, just save state until you get said trivia right. I suppose you could run it side by side with the english translation as well just to be sure of which item you're buying. That is if it's a straight translation with no other changes to the game.
well i just finished stage 1 anmd theres the begin of stage 2
Run..Run...Run.....
here i find the boss HP address 1C5E its the same for all bosses and by the way, using a better weappon doesnt cause more damage to enemy, it just help hiting the enemy (distance for example)
Run..Run...Run.....
Stage 1 & 2 complete huge improviment in 2nd boss fight. Lots os fucky manipulation to get the right iten in stage 3-1
Run..Run...Run.....
Complete till stage 4.2 Need to find a better way to cross the spike floor on stage 4.2 , Im out of energy so any damage i can die. And using the bean stalk taks lots of frames, its better cross the floating plataforms jumping
Run..Run...Run.....
Will post latter the WIP. Sorry these last two were mistake internet explorer post twice. Will used edit from now on Hope to hear some comments... where i can improve and more
Run..Run...Run.....
Experienced player (822)
Please use the "edit" button so that you don't end up with 5 posts in a row.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Skilled player (1886)
This game looked like so much fun that I gave it a try myself. I TASed the first level, and found a few tricks that you might find useful: 1. When attacking on ground, you normally stop for a few frames. If you press down+A when $00E4 and $00E2 both are 1, you can avoid some of this stop (this trick saves 2f each time its pulled off). 2.Our hero moves very slow in mid-air, so all jumps should be kept as low as possible. 3.Using a vine on the platform, like IvanovishGC does in his youtube video, is faster than jumping over it normally. 4.You can cancel sliding by performing an attack, which allows you to perform slides on tight spaces. This should be combined with trick 1, to lose as little time as possible. Here is the .fm2 I have of the first level. It's 170 frames faster than your run now (4f from the start menu), and it might be possible to improve it a bit further. With all these things in mind, I think a lot of more frames can be shaved off from your current WIP. I hope that this encourages you, and doesn't discourage you, to redo your run. I know it can be a pain having to redo something, but you will almost surely learn a lot in the process. I think this is qiute a good game choise, and an optimized run will be pretty fast. I'm looking forward to your progress!
I guess i will have to redo everything again.. This time i will save the save state before the brggining of each stage..(sot if i got to improve anything i dont have to pass everything from the beggining again) Thanks Randil. I was awere of some tricks you said above like the atack can cancel the sliding. Here i compare the vine pole with the regular jump+sliding, which I found faster. jump+sliding Vs. vine pole
Run..Run...Run.....
Skilled player (1886)
It's true that jump+sliding is usually faster than vine pole, but on the platform on level 1-1 it's faster to use the vine, because that way you can jump off the platform sooner, and you'll move through the air faster than a normal jump. If the vine pole isn't used here, the time it takes to summon the vine pole would just by used waiting. EDIT:
sorryamerica wrote:
warps. there is a warp in 1-2 that skips 1-3 and the boss. some of the secret/harder to get to doors will warp you to later in the level. i will be searching for these.
Can you (or anyone else) tell me where these warps are? I have looked around myself, and on google, but haven't found anything.
Randil i will need some help Ive been recording at 12% speed. And I know i can improve the video in every aspect. Your demontration is cleary perfect. But how can you record like this? I almost sure you are not recording in 12% speed , or are you in slower speed? and about hits trick
1. When attacking on ground, you normally stop for a few frames. If you press down+A when $00E4 and $00E2 both are 1, you can avoid some of this stop (this trick saves 2f each time its pulled off).
how did you find this ram adress and how can i press the down +A at this exact time when both addresses are 1. they change very quickly.
Run..Run...Run.....
Skilled player (1886)
You need to use frame advance, so you can advance 1 frame at a time. Recording a movie in frame advance is a whole lot easier than at 12% speed. I personally only use frame advance, and never record at lower speeds. Go to Config->Map Hotkeys to see what button frame advance is assigned to. I think it's backslash by default, but you can set it to anything you want. Now, pressing the frame advance button when the emulator is paused will advance 1 frame forward. Now you can record input as slow as you want! Play around some with this, you'll notice how much easier TASing will get! Let me know if you have any troubles with this. I found the RAM addresses using the memory dump feature of FCEU, but you could probably find it with the cheat search feature too. RAM address 046A is also important, it's the invulnerebility timer for bosses. With this you can see when you can hit the boss next. Another thing I've been thinking about is whether or not it's worth buying the bubble weapon before the second boss. Although you can kill this boss faster with this weapon, buying the weapon takes more time than you save on the boss, and also, the down+A trick does not work with this weapon for some reason, so every time you attack on the ground with this weapon you will lose more frame than you would with the normal knife.
another thing usefull is when you jump off the vine pole, the prince start to roll and this roll cause damage to the enemies i can use this trick to the second boss, be he always atack me back with his star sparkles so the best way was buying the buble gun weapon i dont think i can hit him with regular weapon when he is flying. boss 3 is also killeg quickly with the bubble gun, but i could kill him with regular weapon too. another question.... how can i calculate the time when the next time i wil be able to atack the boss with the time when i shot the buble to hit him. and about the recording i notice when i kepp pressing the frame advance key, the game rolls at 100% speed, i dont see how playing frame by frame would make easyes is veryyy sloww another thing i need to ask when how can i calculate the eact point to landing after jumping?
Run..Run...Run.....
Skilled player (1886)
If you just tap the frame advance button once, the movie will advance one frame. If you hold down the frame advance button, the game will run at 100% speed. So what you do is to hold down the buttons you want to press and then tap the frame advance button once. It is a lot easier to record a movie frame by frame, since we're dealing with frame precise maneuvers, in particular the down+A attacking trick. The second boss can indeed be hit with the starting weapon (I've tried this myself). However, he takes a bit longer to kill, because you can't always hit him on the first frame possible because he is flying around so fast. And you are right that you will usually take damage from him if you get too close, but I think it might be possible to kill him with the knife without taking any damage, I'm not sure though. I'm not sure it's faster to skip the bubble weapon, you may be right that it saves time in the end, but it should still be something to take into consideration. In order to find when to attack a boss, you need to look at the invulnerebility timer. This RAM address 046A is 0 when the boss can take damage, and after a hit, it increases by 1 every second frame until it hits 50, then it goes back to 0 again. This value should only be 0 for 2 frames between each hit, and if it is, you know that you are hitting the boss as fast as possible. About jumps, you just have to trial and error each jump until you get it just right. Just make sure you never jump longer than necessary. If holding down A for X frames isn't enough, try X+1 frames, and so on, until you find the minimum frames you need to hold down A to land where you want. And I'm still curious about the level 1-2 warp that sorryamerica mentioned. If you can skip levels in this game, you should probably do so in the TAS. But sorryamerica seems to be the only one who knows about warps in this game, and he doesn't seem to be around anymore. I've looked into this a lot but haven't found any proof of warps in this game...
i found a very usefull password to start the game with a ggod weapon, the passowrk is H B B B B H B B B=banana H=half Banana peel B=Banna wo peel P=peel
Run..Run...Run.....
Skilled player (1308)
Banana Prince in 14:14 by khvuser: Part 1 Part 2
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Awesome!
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
sorry, ive been very busy, i cant keep this project, maybe another time i get back to work on this tas.
Run..Run...Run.....
Skilled player (1308)
As my last TAS or this year, I decided that I might want to take a stab at this. Its pretty simple, short & fast. My other projects are either too big to finish this year, or they're with a co-author since its a team run. TASt This beats Randil's fm2. by 2 frames. Its only 9 seconds so dont expect much. I might not submit this though because I dont want to discourage wicked. :( Thoughts? EDIT:1-1 Done. 27 frames faster than Randil's TAS.