Emulator details

• Emulator used: Snes9x 1.43v12(beta 10)
  • Sync settings: Use WIP1 timing
  • Allow Left+Right Up+Down
  • Uses Reset Rerecord

Run specifics

• Any% item collection
  • Aims for lowest realtime
  • Manipulates luck
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Uses death as a shortcut

About the run

This is an improvement of 1537 realtime frames, or 1379 ingame frames, over the last Glitched Any% run. The main reason for the redo is a big improvement in Tourian that was thought up by NameSpoofer shortly after the publication of the last run (Skipping the big metroid with X-ray), but more improvements where found along the way. Unless something extraordinary is found this is likely the last time I'll touch this run, as I just can't imagine that there would be enough improvements left to make a new run worthwhile otherwise, and the metroids makes me cry every time.

Breakdown of the improvements

Ceres - 12 frames saved
This is the first time that I have chosen to go for fastest realtime in Ceres instead of getting the best timer, so I lose a few frames ingame because of a worse steam pattern in the 2nd to last room, but gain 12 realtime frames in the end.
To Brinstar - 11 frames saved
Here there are basically just a bunch of tiny optimizations stringed together, nothing much worth noticing. But I skipped a health pickup in the pirate rooms which saves some frames in Brinstar because I don't have to do a damageboost in the super missile room in order to get low enough on health. This cost a few frames of realtime though, because I had to manipulate all the enemies in the diagonal room to drop missiles and not health.
To post reset - 12 frames saved
Half of the improvement came from before the savestation, most of it from not needing to take damage in the super missile room. Then I save 1 frame on the reset from a faster way to chose the gamefile, and 5 frames for no apparent reason (a frame rule?).
To Red Brinstar - 5 frame lost
I lose a few frames to luck manipulation in the first pink brinstar room on the first two enemies, and then some random lag frames gets added to the next door transition. I also lose 2 frames picking up another missile in the big green brinstar room, which saves time later. I do save a few frames from better optimization though
To the X-ray room - 28 frames saved
There are basically just two places from where this improvement comes from. Firstly from being able to use a missile in the flower/spike room to get the needed drops faster, and secondly from removing all the door scrolling when going back to that room after getting the PB's. I also make a slight change to the health/ammo management which saves time later.
To the X-ray and back again - 112 frames saved
To begin with I manage to take the last damage sooner while still making the CWJ which saves some time, and then there are a few frames from small optimizations in the X-ray room. The main bulk of the improvement here comes from the way back through the pre X-ray room though. I make the bombjumps a lot faster, each bomb is placed on the first frame possible and if I tried to change my position in any way the yapping maw would catch me. And the damageboost at the end saves a big bunch of time as well.
To Crateria - 46 frames saved
The 3 main points of this improvement are; not needing a super refill from the second cactus due to a improved ammo route, killing the second sidehopper in the big Green Brinstar room without a missile, and skipping a PB drop from the rio in the big Pink Brinstar room.
To Tourian 137 - frames saved
I Saved two frames from optimization on my way to the statue room, the rest is from getting to the platform below the elevator with 2 bombs instead of 6... don't ask me how that was missed in the last run.
To the sand rooms - 279 frames saved
I really made the metroid my bitches this time. A big part of the improvement comes from having them hugged up to the door in each room to minimize the running distance after they die, as well as having them as close as I could get them to the 3rd PB each time when it explodes, so they take the first damage as quickly as possible (which makes them die faster). The rest is lag reduction. As far as luck goes it was pretty good, even though it might look pretty slow sometimes. The thing is that the needed drops are ridiculously rare (A PB has a 12% drop rate per metroid). I tested to get just 3 PB's in the first room which was noticeably faster, but already in the second metroid room I would have had to sacrifice at least 20 more frames to get the needed drops, and then more in the 3rd one. Using X-ray, while slow, is still often faster just because it lets you manipulate each drop individually, and manipulating them all at the same time will generally take very long.
To post death in Green Brinstar - 844 frames saved
So the big kicker here is obviously the big metroid room skip. It was pretty tricky to optimize the off-screen movement, to start with I did it using a cam hack, but just copying the result gotten there would not work, because for some reason the game does not act the same then. But it gave me a decent indication of what position values I needed to reach anyway. I also found an X-ray climbing pattern that was 1 frame faster per turn compared to the old one, but it was only faster in this room, in both the other rooms the lag caused by it was different and it made the pattern equally fast to the old one. I also got some use of the 2 extra missiles I got from the metroids, without them I would not have been able to fall all the way down in the post big metroid room without stopping.
To great justice - 61 frames saved
Almost everything here are just a bunch of small optimizations. The two noticeable things are running slower in the room with the closing gates to destroy them all without stopping, and doing a low damageboost from the pirate before the big shaft, which made the screen scroll down less and reduce door lag.

Thanks to

Special thanks to NameSpoofer. He has been involved on some level with this run, and have helped me with a couple of rooms, as well as giving me some ideas. And he also thought up the big metroid room skip which saved plenty of time.
Thanks to Kejardon, obviously, for being a genius.
And thanks to the rest of the SM TASing community, everyone has done something :)

adelikat: Accepting as an improvement to the published glitched any% run.
ShinyDoofy: Will process...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2223: Cpadolf's SNES Super Metroid "any%, glitched" in 21:35.57
Player (88)
Great run, man. There is a very high level of precision here. Metroid rooms look much cleaner now, and all the other little improvements are noticeable too. I was wondering if it would have been better to save the super missile you used on the first pirate during the escape, and used it on the 4th to last pirate instead of jumping over him. It's great to see another super metroid run on the workbench. Any plans on improving the any% real run? Haven't heard too much news from Kriole or Taco.
They're off to find the hero of the day...
Gah! I want to watch this now, but I have an anniversary dinner to go to. Wonder if it would be rude to bring my laptop... >.> Sadly, I'm only partially joking. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to watch it in... twelve hours...
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
Banned User, Former player
hero of the day wrote:
Any plans on improving the any% real run?
Any% item collection Aims for lowest realtime
???
Perma-banned
Skilled player (1431)
hero of the day wrote:
I was wondering if it would have been better to save the super missile you used on the first pirate during the escape, and used it on the 4th to last pirate instead of jumping over him.
Nah, in order to do that I would have to jump over the first pirate in the 3rd escape room, and to do that I would have to do a morph/demorph in order to get over him, which would obviously slow things down. And besides, I would need to jump at the end of the 4th room anyway because I need to open the door before taking the damageboost.
Xkeeper wrote:
hero of the day wrote: Any plans on improving the any% real run? Quote: Any% item collection Aims for lowest realtime ???
He is referring to the non glitched realtime run. As far as I know Taco and Kriole are still planning on doing it, though I don't know how much they are working on it atm. If they where to drop it then I would probably do it myself sooner or later.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Skilled player (1402)
Xkeeper wrote:
hero of the day wrote:
Any plans on improving the any% real run?
Any% item collection Aims for lowest realtime
???
Haha, yeah... I would call this the real any% run. Either way, nice improvement :)
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (833)
Damn!!! 12 minutes game time is crazy and with only 6%, that is amazing. The metroid skip was nice. Im guessing one day you will go from the X-Ray room straight to the end. Anyway awesome run!! Thanks CP!!
Post subject: dino-SCORE!
Former player
HEY ALDEN VOTE YES THIS TIME YOU $@#&!
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
And twelve hours later, I have watched it. Still a mind-blowing run, though X-Ray Beam into Tourian is still mind-numbing. Fantastic job on the technical side, and I still find the movie itself entertaining while the centerpiece glitch is excessively painful to watch. Happy to have it in the line-up, regardless.
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
Player (209)
Excellent run. The optimization level is extremely high this time, and now we can clearly see how well our old techs already were at early Zebes until Brinstar, allowing only for tiny 11 frames improvement over such a long time span. For those who wonder, a part of that improvment comes from the Torizo area alone (between the pre-Torizo bat room entrance and exit), and I'm glad to announce that you're the first SM-TASer who actually managed to match the time from my latest attempt there (dated mid-October 2008), that combined techs from my old any% at the tricky to optimize red door, and the low-jump bomb grab tech. Also great improvement in the X-Ray room and at the Metroids. I actually wondered why you didn't use the X-Ray more often in the previous run, as it seemed to be a logical choice to manipulate the PB drops without the need to delay time when killing the Metroids, but thought you had a reason for it. Good to see that the tech turned out to be the fastest nevertheless. Oh, and respect for developing a even faster X-Ray climb tech consisting of weird turn around abuses. This once again shows exceptional analyzing skills from your side, Cpadolf. All in all a very good job on this. 8/9,5. EDIT: What I wonder though, you mentioned in the description to use a "cam hack" for optimizing the out-of-room parts. Do you mind giving a bit more information about what it is, and where to get it? This might be a useful tool for everybody who plans to do runs that use OOR travelling.
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
Skilled player (1431)
Saturn wrote:
What I wonder though, you mentioned in the description to use a "cam hack" for optimizing the out-of-room parts. Do you mind giving a bit more information about what it is, and where to get it? This might be a useful tool for everybody who plans to do runs that use OOR travelling.
It's basically a string of codes you put into the Game Genie/Action Replay section of Snes9x that Kejardon came up with. What it does is that it always lets the screen scroll. Any movie played with it for more than a few seconds will desync though. This is the code:
80A5286B
80A7316B
80A70A80
80A6416B
80A92B80
80A8FB00
80A8D300
80A90A80
80A6DC80
80A95780
80A69880
80A98580
Player (209)
Awesome. Thank you.
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Very Nice!
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Good improvement. 9/9 from me.
Previous Name: boct1584
i cant believe my eyes! <3 u cp
You know what sucks? Editing a video, encoding 80% done when your PC gets a stop error and restarts. So that's why you didn't see this encode yesterday. Anyway, I edited out elevators, "you got item" parts, doors and the cutscene before crateria. I suggest muting this video because it "jumps" after every door, and start desyncing about 4 minutes in. Sorry :( http://www.mediafire.com/?mfmdde5yndm Oh, amazing TAS by the way.
Skilled player (1431)
Phatlip wrote:
You know what sucks? Editing a video, encoding 80% done when your PC gets a stop error and restarts. So that's why you didn't see this encode yesterday. Anyway, I edited out elevators, "you got item" parts, doors and the cutscene before crateria. I suggest muting this video because it "jumps" after every door, and start desyncing about 4 minutes in. Sorry :( http://www.mediafire.com/?mfmdde5yndm
Hey, thanks man, that's really awesome. As long as you put some music on :)
Experienced player (859)
hero of the day wrote:
Any plans on improving the any% real run? Haven't heard too much news from Kriole or Taco.
God knows where Taco has gone. I'm still working on it though.
Kriole wrote:
hero of the day wrote:
Any plans on improving the any% real run? Haven't heard too much news from Kriole or Taco.
God knows where Taco has gone. I'm still working on it though.
i think hes lost in ceres ;)!
It's amazing to see the improvements and how fast it zaps thru the levels. Thanks for the excellent run!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1270] SNES Super Metroid "X-Ray glitch" by Cpadolf in 21:35.57
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Here's my take on a "fast" version of this TAS :) youtube.com/watch?v=h8Ul7alWdiU
Senior Moderator
http://tasvideos.org/1139M.html Torrent is still available.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Video in the last link was too choppy thanks to Youtube not liking my encoding format. Here's the fixed version: youtube.com/watch?v=tn2HHRqzwCk EDIT: Argh, it's still choppy?
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Finally got around to create and upload the MKV version.