Post subject: PCEjin Emulator Development
Emulator Coder, Former player
pcejin is a new project I've been working on that takes the PCE emulation core from Mednafen and gives it a real Windows interface. pcejin's movie format is already accepted by the site because it is the same as the submitted Dracula X movies. It is sync compatible with Mednafen and is intended to replace it on Windows for PCE TASing. All current movies should sync on pcejin once converted, and new pcejin movies should sync on Mednafen as well. There is a slight incompatibility with Mednafen mc2 format movies made with a revision prior to 270, since buttons 1 and 2 swapped. Revision 270 of Mednafen, as well as the current version of pcejin have buttons 1 and 2 corrected. To fix a movie, just swap all instances of 1 and 2 in the movie file. Older Mednafen mcm format movies are not affected by that, and can be converted with an option in the tools menu. http://code.google.com/p/pcejin/
fruitbane
He/Him
I have already tried this and it worked for me (with a little patience) where the .mc2 MednafenRR didn't. Great work!
Player (51)
this emulator pauses and stops movie playback about 5 seconds before it should in my legendary axe TAS after converting to mc2. the ram watch/search glitchy as well. I found a ram position that seemed like the speed value in the legendary axe. when walking right it always had a value of 384, when jumping right it had a value of 448 with 2 bytes. but when I put that ram position in the ram watch it had value of 128 when walking (either way) 192 when jumping right and 64 when jumping left. and when I set it to 1 byte in the ram search it had -128 when walking -64 jumping right and 64 jumping left.
Experienced player (954)
I checked your movie, it doesnt contain run key press near end, not sure whats your problem (maybe same weirdness than i had), it does beat the game here anyway Edit: ram watch is fine here too, no idea about that
Former player
What about sync dependent changes to possibly come? Will they be ported to both projects or is Mednafen-rr going to "die"?
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3599)
There isn't likely to be sync changes to mednafen-rr or pcejin. The core is pretty solid in both (and nobody is working on it). But they can easily be ported to both to make sure they are compatible with each other. I'll make sure that happens.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1307)
Playing back movies is kind of broken the first few tries. It worked on the third try though. The converter on the other hand is really glitchy. When I converted an mcm., the movie file just started pressing random buttons. Speaking of buttons, Where are the turbo buttons? Also all my preferences don't seem to save. They get erased every time I open pcejin again. BTW, I click OK and it still doesn't save. I'll try to find more bugs later.
Player (51)
I was using PCEjin today and it crashed like every couple minutes.
fruitbane
He/Him
I request CUE/ISO support in the next revision of PCEjin. The BIN format can be hard to find and the only software I can find to convert ISO files to BIN files is pay software. Since ISO is a more open standard, I think it would be appropriate to include support for them.
Experienced player (954)
Rename your iso to bin, magic (dont forget to rename inside the cue too!) I remember the iso part of the code come from mednafen, unlikely to be changed at all.
fruitbane
He/Him
If it's as simple as renaming the file then it should be super-simple to allow PCEjin to open files with the ISO extension just as easily as those with the BIN extension.
Experienced player (954)
No, its not, because you dont ask pcejin but to mednafen actually, and nothing is easy with mednafen
fruitbane
He/Him
Whatever's wrong with it, it's so far the most accurate PC Engine emulation code. It's too bad it's so hard to work with.
Post subject: PCEjin SVN 194 Released
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3599)
A new maintenance released of PCEjin (movie sync & game compatibility unchanged). Changlelog since last official release (SVN128): Add Memory Viewer dialog (ported from DeSmuME Improved Recent Roms menus including Recent Movies & Recent Lua scripts. Each recent menu also comes with an auto-load option which will load the most recently used file on emulator start up. Fix so loading a recent rom properly initalizes the sound driver. Prevents the game from going to auto-turbo. Fix so Lag counter resets when loading a new Rom Bind movies to Savestates option Loading a ROM stops movie playback/record Comments feature of movie files works If Drag & Drop .mcm or .m2 with no ROM loaded, user is prompted to for one ROM name is now displayed on window if loaded via Drag & Drop Replay Dialog: fix bug where fractions of the movie time where being truncated Fix time to report based on the correct fps (~57 fps) instead of 60fps Ram Watch: "Add Separator" button Improved multiple selection support change text "GENS watchlist" to "Watchlist" Use game name as default in the SaveFile dialog Ram Search: Fix bug where the reset button was not updating the previous values Fix change counts Redraw the list when search size/format is changed Address offset of 0x1F0000 Improved multiple selection support Lua - emu.frameadvance() implemented Lua - joypad.set now reads all pads Lua - Multitrack lua script added -lua commandline argument added fix memory.readdword - was returning signed values before
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects