Post subject: SegaSonic the Hedgehog 3 Players
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
I've seen TASes of Sonic the Hedgehog (including Tails and Knuckles runs), Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (& Knuckles), Sonic the Hedgehog CD, and Knuckles' Chaotix. Haven't played the SegaSonic arcade game. I've seen screenshots of it. It would be cool to see a TAS of that game, if someone would make one. (maybe upthorn)
Active player (277)
I've seen videos of this game too. It's another isometric game like Sonic 3D Blast, only instead of puttering around collecting birds, you just run as fast as you can, avoiding all the traps. I think that would be very exciting. I only wonder how well it's emulated, including the trackball controller if that affects anything. And does anyone know if there's any kind of reward for collecting rings other than high score?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Player (120)
From this full playthrough video it looks like damage/death abuse could be quite possible and abundant... Even if the trackball is well emulated, I assume it would be like the analog stick on the n64 which would make 3 players simultaneously a major undertaking. I would like to see a run of this game though :D
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Active player (277)
Oh yeah, I just noticed that rings also refill the life bar. But I think a no-damage run would look cooler, just as having 3 players only seems necessary for showing off.
Player (120)
I would have to disagree; a well-optimized run with damage boosting would be way more impressive. 3-player would be great though...
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Active player (277)
And I still have to disagree! In other games, taking damage is interesting when the main goals are fighting through hordes of baddies or searching for the exit. But in this game, the sole objective is to avoid traps, so a TAS that fell into some traps would look much too ordinary. (I also wonder if the rings speed you up, which I always wonder now that I've heard of at least one Sonic game where the rings increase your top speed slightly. Gr...)
I disagree with one of you. A 3 player no damage would be nice ! :P
Skilled player (1306)
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
(I also wonder if the rings speed you up, which I always wonder now that I've heard of at least one Sonic game where the rings increase your top speed slightly. Gr...)
You must avoid any rings at all cost! They add a frame at the tallying screen.
Most Sonic runs have the "Ignores time lost due to bonus effects" tag on them. Mostly that's so that they don't have to wait at the end to bring the time bonus down, but it applies to rings too. (That said, most Sonic runs also avoid rings, and intentionally get hurt during waiting periods, to bring the bonus tally time down)
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
N._Harmonik
She/Her
I'm not sure if this will actually help since this will obviously be played on an emulator but if you're going with death abuse: Extra life at start. Choose to play as Mighty or Ray and hold jump till the game starts to earn a extra life at the start. Oh and maybe a version could be published that has English subtitles?
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?
Skilled player (1306)
N. Harmonik wrote:
I'm not sure if this will actually help since this will obviously be played on an emulator but if you're going with death abuse: Extra life at start. Choose to play as Mighty or Ray and hold jump till the game starts to earn a extra life at the start. Oh and maybe a version could be published that has English subtitles?
There aren't that many opportunities for death short cutting. You also cant get lives in this game. That's right, die once and it's all over. But there is that health bar thing. I would go all heads for 3-Players if not for the problem that all characters would take the exact same path. So I hope this run gets made. Only problem....How are we going to work without the Trackball?
A 3 player run of this would be amazing.