After two submissions ending in them being cancelled I have been advised to start a thread about the game, and hopefully gain some input from you guys to see how I can improve my run. I would like you to be harsh, and specific where possible, I have the basic framework there but it can still be better. Here is a link to my most recent run http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/554571498/Puggsy%20%28U%29%20%5B%21%5D.gmv You need to make sure SRAM is disabled from the start to stop it from desyncing *looks at Sonikkustar*. So you have atleast a point of comparison here is a so call 'unoptimized' run by maTO http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1736432802/Puggsy%20%28JUE%29%20%5BR-USA%5D%5B%5D.gmv You need to keep SRAM on until you see the parrot boss die, then turn it off, it then plays to the end of the 2nd boss. I aim to take no damage during my run. I await your judgement.
Skilled player (1307)
I did a little bit to give you an idea: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/396055617/Puggsy%20TAS.gmv Hope this helps.
Sonikkustar wrote:
I did a little bit to give you an idea: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/396055617/Puggsy%20TAS.gmv Hope this helps.
I calculate 9 frames saved during the level, what was good was the speed you got to the level. I will sit down tomorrow and shorten as much as possible the gap between landing on a level and entering it. I think that the game plays differently if you have SRAM on or off, things are happening in the game faster or slower, since this causes the game to desync. To make it standard throughout I used SRAM disabled, as you can't pass level 5 with it on.
Equinox : SRAM is the memory the game uses. Starting from SRAM means that you start from a SaveState, which is the SRAM writting to a file. Just to clear it up :P
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
ZeXr0 wrote:
Equinox : SRAM is the memory the game uses. Starting from SRAM means that you start from a SaveState, which is the SRAM writting to a file.
What SRAM is is irrelevant here - the game doesn't use SRAM, and it needs to be disabled for the game to play properly.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
ZeXr0 wrote:
Equinox : SRAM is the memory the game uses.
SRAM is the memory that the game saves, for savegames. Like with RPGs and Sonic 3. It is not the same thing as a savestate, and not all games use it.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
If it didnt make the game play differently it wouldnt desync, which was the point I was trying to make. Of course it needs to be off to play correctly past level 5, but both people that have submited demo movies to help out have kept SRAM on and the frames total in their movies would not really be comparable to the frames in mine, but they still would be very close.
Skilled player (1307)
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/221422177/Puggsy%20TAS.gmv I took another try at it. This time Disabling SRAM. I also found some Addresses for you: 0FF0387 - Y Position? 0FF0719 - X Velocity Another thing. About the final boss, there is a way to get 2 hits in one round of lasers...without taking damage! I hope this further helps. Good luck Equinox. EDIT: I'll sow you what I mean by the final boss: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1560340178/Puggsy%20%28U%29%20%5B%21%5D.gmv (I used your movie since its already at the final boss. Hope you dont mind Equinox ;) )
Sonikkustar wrote:
I used your movie since its already at the final boss. Hope you dont mind Equinox ;) )
Not at all, all help is appreciated, never thought it would be possible, due to him flickering making him unable to hit, nice find, would have never thought of just standing there -_- As for your addition I am going to go through and see where I can make improvements using this technique, at the same time as shorting exits>walk>enter times.
Skilled player (1307)
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1926710303/Puggsy%20Secret%20TAS.gmv I did the secret stages to give you an idea on what to do in the game. Here are some notes:
  • Grabbing an item increases your speed.
  • Bumping edges are actually faster by 1 frame!
I'll add more later.
Sonikkustar wrote:
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1926710303/Puggsy%20Secret%20TAS.gmv I did the secret stages to give you an idea on what to do in the game. Here are some notes:
  • Grabbing an item increases your speed.
  • Bumping edges are actually faster by 1 frame!
I'll add more later.
I prefer to get the ending that involves the credits, it feels more real, the code needed to even get to these secret levels are inside the credits after the last boss. I can see the speed increase over about 15 frames before returning to normal, but can explain further what you mean by bumping edges are faster.
Skilled player (1307)
Equinox wrote:
I prefer to get the ending that involves the credits, it feels more real, the code needed to even get to these secret levels are inside the credits after the last boss. I can see the speed increase over about 15 frames before returning to normal, but can explain further what you mean by bumping edges are faster.
Thats fine. I just wanted to show you a general idea of what to do in the levels. About bumping edges, In most games bumping edges stops all foward momentum. But in Puggsy, that momentum is kept so you could keep holding a direction while at a wall and still keep speed.
Former player
Sonikkustar wrote:
I also found some Addresses for you: 0FF0387 - Y Position? 0FF0719 - X Velocity
Y position is 00FF03CC X position is 00FF03C8 both are relative to the exit Y velocity is 00FF071A X velocity(?) is 00FF06FF
Sonikkustar wrote:
Thats fine. I just wanted to show you a general idea of what to do in the levels.
Sorry, I was assuming at the same time as showing me some examples, you was also showing a faster way to a 'Game Over' screen. Thanks for the explanation, I had assumed it would slow me down, but infact would be faster? (by 1 frame) *Edit* Just a quick update My original submission was 94241 this was 26min 10.68s, after using the above information, very kindly offered, I am currently down to 84519 that is 23min 28.65s and there are more frames I know I can save. The problem I keep getting is when removing frames from for example level 5, 6 levels after this are perfectly synced, then for no reason the next level desyncs.
Skilled player (1307)
Hey Equinox. Hows progress on this going?
Skilled player (1307)
I decided to try & work on this game since Equinox hasnt said anything in over a year. WIP This beats Stage 1 and is faster than maTO's Test Run by 6 frames. However, since he plays with SRAM enabled, I dont think there is much of a fair comparision.
Skilled player (1307)
New WIP Done with The Beach.
Editor, Expert player (2460)
Skilled player (1307)
Nice one! It might be useful for later levels but not for now.
Skilled player (1307)
First Boss is down. I might want to revise the boss though. I have a feeling it might be improvable.
Editor, Expert player (2460)
Here is a "super jump" script that might be useful for testing stuff:
input.registerhotkey (2, function ()
for i = 1,160,1 do
memory.writebyte(0xff071b,7)
gens.frameadvance()
end
end)
Just press your "Lua Custom Hotkey 2" and then jump.
Player (70)
Cool. Looking forward to the complete run Sonikkustar. Will you also go for a run with all the hidden exits later? Cheers!
Skilled player (1307)
Highness wrote:
Cool. Looking forward to the complete run Sonikkustar. Will you also go for a run with all the hidden exits later? Cheers!
Probably not. Doing all hidden exits prevents me from getting the ending. Also, My life just got a whole lot more busy. So I might not be TASing in general now.
Skilled player (1307)
Redo I decided to grab the Speed Shoes in Treasure Cove because it wont be for a few more levels that i'll get a chance to obtain them again. I also redid the boss but its still 2 frames slower than maTO's test run. I dont know why. EDIT: I found out its just bad luck. No worries.
Skilled player (1307)