As always, I have provided a release package on my sourceforge project. It includes the movie file, a spreadsheet detailing improvements and version differences, a memory watch file, and lua scripts.
I decided to do this TAS after seeing the GB submission by mugg. It was rejected for not using SGB mode so I decided to give it a shot. Its a short game, only 4 levels. It has a variety of power-ups but the important one for a TAS is the flying squirrel power-up. With it radical shortcuts are possible which are always nice for a TAS.
This movie has 55 frames of improvement over mugg's submission. However, it is 287 frames slower overall due to longer screen transitions of the SGB mode. Most of the improvements are from making fewer jumps by utilizing the flying ability more. The character moves at 7/8ths of a pixel per frame. 1 full pixel is lost every time he jumps so the fewer jumps the better! Of the frames lost, 14 of them were due to different randomness. I'm not sure if this is an actual different between modes or just bad luck.
VBA v23-interim was used to make this TAS
Enjoy

Flygon: Replaced Flowplayer module with YouTube module.

Baxter: It is surprising to see how fast the general opinion on a game being suitable for a TAS or not can change. Where mugg's submission got votes passable for acceptance (it rejected for being recorded in the wrong mode), the audience deemed it not a good game choice this time around. Watching the movies side by side really makes me wonder what caused this sudden change of heart, but that doesn't change the fact that this movie got very poor votes. Rejecting.

Noxxa: Judging in consideration of the vault.
Noxxa: Accepting for the vault.

natt: processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
While the run seems well performed, I found the game to be pretty boring. Voting meh.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Skilled player (1307)
Allow me to express my thoughts with an IRC quote: [23:00] <Sonikkustar> adelikat, I can summarize the movie in a few words. [23:01] <Sonikkustar> "walking, spazzy flying, more walking, the end" No Vote. Its just too boring for me.
GabCM
He/Him
That one's a bit boring. It lacks of variety. I think I blame the game choice. Voting no. What?! adelikat made this?! NOOOOOOOO... *cries*
Agreed with the above. It's a generic platformer that is fastest-played when you fly over everything. The design's a bit kooky but that doesn't make it entertaining. Voting meh.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Player (70)
Voting meh. The game was dull half way through level 1.
I actually quite like the look and sound of the game, but Shin-chan just moves entirely too slow for a TAS to seem all that interesting. And the flying sound effect is too loud and repetitive. There were some parts I liked but overall, as a TAS it just didn't entertain. Voting meh.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
I'm not really sure what to say about this movie. I'm glad another person improved my movie, but I was a bit disappointed at some points in the run. In particular, you seem to have found a faster method of travelling which is 'to make as few jumps as possible' while I ran the game 'avoiding to be in mid-air at all costs'. When I TASed this game, I assumed that being in mid-air results in slower speed but apparently I was wrong. Unfortunately, this results in even less action as you fly across even more things. The boss battles could be heavily improved entertainment-wise in my opinion. Just compare your boss battles with mine and you'll see that I'm trying to use the waiting time and make interesting stunts, especially at the final boss. I'm really not sure what to vote.
Link to video It was a quick run... but not really stimulating. Optimized but boring.
Shingen
He/Him
Voting meh, I also think this is a poor choice of game.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
The sound of flying got agonizing after 10 seconds. Watched the rest of the run in silence, pretty much nothing interesting happened for almost 7 minutes, then the game ended. No vote, bad game choice.
If there was even one escaped lab monkey I would vote yes. Sadly, this is not the case. :(
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Onyx3173
She/Her
Voted no. Played well but even being such a short TAS it couldn't keep my attention at all. Flying over levels might be faster but it's hardly entertaining in any way.
I am a figment of my imagination.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I found the run to be alright. It is a shame, though, how the increased flying makes the run faster (by making fewer jumps) but also makes the run more repetitive and obnoxious. I think it's a solid enough game for a Yes vote, but your mileage may vary.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Player (120)
Yes vote partly for the sake of being a completionist, but especially for the spasmodic flying animation!
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Editor, Player (44)
Because I think it's always worth explaining no votes, no because it's just not that interesting to watch levels being flown over.
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
As far as a Game Boy game goes this is actually a very good looking game. Unfortunately, I ended up voting No and I feel that any no vote warrants an explanation. I agree with ais523 - the game itself looks fairly interesting but all we really see is a lot of flying. The boss fights are optimal but slow and uninteresting. A run that didn't use the flying ability would potentially be more entertaining. With all of the above said, if this were SMB the run likely would have gotten many yes votes from viewers for being absolutely optimal. I'm finding that my opinion of a run is biased heavily by my nostalgia of the game, for better or worse. Thanks for the submission, A.C. ******
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Voted yes because I TASed this game before and it's nice to see other TASers take interest in it as well. I find this game entertaining because it's kinda what I imagined my TAS as when I first made it. Good job!
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... 'twas dry
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
vba-rr v23.5 svn421
Crayon Shin-chan 4 - Ora no Itazura Daihenshin (Japan)
SHA1:B5BB01AD7E25E9E83C564CCF604A59F8930CD0D5
MD5:BCB3D47C291FD0A26B2C7B1082C3AD88
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2143] SGB Crayon Shin-chan 4: Ora no Itazura Daihenshin by adelikat in 07:15.82