JXQ
Experienced player (750)
So it's no secret that Emulator Homepages is filled with broken links and even a few crappy, untested emulators. So far, a whole lot of nothing has been done about it. I personally find it ridiculous that the site can't keep working links to something as important as the emulators. Offsite Link - Emulator Downloads (mirror) This is a page that I wrote and am hosting myself. I went scraping for any emulator I used, had downloaded, or could find in the past few days. You'll notice I borrowed a lot of TASvideos' setup. I just learned CSS today, so hopefully it looks alright. I assigned "recommended" emulators based on which ones I felt were the best for a TASer to use on each platform. I also put warnings by versions which are prone to desyncs or other problems with TASing. I would like this to become a nice collection and a good place for anyone to go to get just about any emulator they would want. So if anyone has an emulator (or utility) that they would like hosted here that I've missed (or didn't know about), or Linux or Mac versions to any of these emulators, please contact me about it. This is only a temporary solution. I cannot make any guarantee to how permanent this hosting will be. TASvideos needs to host its own emulators in the long run.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Thanks for the useful site! I bookmarked it for future reference. :)
I'm afraid I only have Nesmock v1.4.0 which came with FCEU 0.98.15 (though when writing movies it claims to be .13, heh). Good job with this, though. I was thinking of doing it myself. I will do if JXQ doesn't want to at some point.
Voted NO for NO reason
Thanks, JXQ. Now I can finally upgrade to FCEU 0.98.16.
<i>If the day before the day before yesterday is three days after Saturday, what day is today?</i>
Tub
very nice, thank you.
m00
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
I recommend adding Zeriris' original tasedit to the list aswell, it's the one I hate least
Experienced player (822)
Anyone with moderator powers, Could this please: A) Be stickied, and B) Have the direct link be included somewhere on the official emulator downloads page?
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
mmbossman wrote:
B) Have the direct link be included somewhere on the official emulator downloads page?
There is http://tasvideos.org/diff.exe?page=EmulatorHomepages&rev=117
Post subject: Re: Emulator Hosting
Editor, Active player (296)
Completely irrelevant, but JXQ, you should fix two things in your HTML page: * Instead of <div class="header1">header</div>, use <h1>header</h1>. Similarly for <h2>. This brings structure to the page (instead of mere layout), and helps computer programs analyze the page properly (web crawlers can pick up headers, and speech synthesizers use proper emphasis). You can always use the CSS to shape the h1 and h2 tags to look however you want. * Instead of &u=1195, use &amp;u=1195 -- otherwise your HTML is ambiguous (or rather, invalid) and a validator will complain about it, and some browsers may be confused and unable to follow the link. (Because & is a special character in HTML that starts an entity reference. &amp; is the entity reference corresponding to the character &.) * Your <a name="anchor"> tags are unmatched with an </a>.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Made some changes. Added both versions of TASEdit, SNES9x 1.43 v11 beta 17 (which will soon become the recommended SNES emulator if no major bugs are found), and made most of Bisqwit's HTML suggestions (I couldn't figure out how to make h2's work the same way as I am now, since they're in a table cell). I'd like to put a good amount of Linux compiles or source on here. It seems that there are often complaints of a lack of Linux builds available. No emulator or utility is too obscure!
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
Sonic Advance Camhack should be under v19.2
After being shocked today to learn I've used 80mb of bandwidth out of the 10gb I'm given every month, I've decided to follow suit with JXQ's kindness and do one of the following: 1. Mirror the emulators and re-recording mini-site for a while (at least until around July, depending on the bandwidth hit). 2. Help JXQ in some way make the site smaller by compressing the crap out of things to consume less bandwidth. 3. Both of the above. I'm not sure which of the above will help (if any at all), so let me know.
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
Post subject: Re: Emulator Hosting
Emulator Coder, Former player
JXQ wrote:
[*]Ubuntu packages put together by mushroom - really I just need these explained to me. Are they binaries? Source? both?.
The ubuntu packages are basically just precompiled packages with dependecy checks, so you can quickly install an application without having to to worry about missing dependencies. They (generally) won't contain source. PS. Uniform table widths would look a lot nicer in the "all re-recording emulator's" page.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Thanks Maximus. I have one more question though; which files do I need? The GZip, the .deb, or both? Raiscan, if you'd like to mirror this somewhere, contact me and I'll send you any files you need. (Or, I guess you could just download them, heh)
Banned User, Former player
This page is not valid HTML. I demand it be taken down, rewritten to use AJAX, gradients, shitty Javascript, pinstripes, and other bullshit. ... I'm glad somebody finally got around to making a better Emulator Hompages list. Perhaps this could be ported to the actual page? Oh, and for some reason, clicking "Browse NES emulators" causes the entire (@%!ing page to flash. It might have something to do with the missing </a> problem.
Perma-banned
Xkeeper wrote:
This page is not valid HTML. I demand it be taken down, rewritten to use AJAX, gradients, shitty Javascript, pinstripes, and other bullshit.
It'll be even less valid when I'm done with it. My rule of thumb is simple: if it works, keep it. if it doesn't work, try standards. if they don't work, get a better browser (or start using if statements and comment/holly hacks. ugh.)
Raiscan wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
This page is not valid HTML. I demand it be taken down, rewritten to use AJAX, gradients, shitty Javascript, pinstripes, and other bullshit.
It'll be even less valid when I'm done with it. My rule of thumb is simple: if it works, keep it. if it doesn't work, try standards. if they don't work, get a better browser (or start using if statements and comment/holly hacks. ugh.)
That was sarcasm.
Perma-banned
I know it was, otherwise you would have been lectured to death about how google don't pass validation and how the W3C do incredibly stupid things.
Just making sure. It sounded like I had gotten a serious reply there, for a moment. I'm usually the one giving the lecture about how stupid the HTML standards are.
Perma-banned
Quietust
He/Him
http://validator.w3.org/ is your friend - use it well, and the only browser-specific hacks you should need will be for Internet Explorer (which shouldn't be much if you ignore the obsolete IE6).
* Quietust, QMT Productions P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another
Or, quite frankly, don't bother. Validation is 99% of the time worthless and only serves to bloat pages. If you insist on using validation, use HTML 4.01 transitional.
Perma-banned
In other news, mirror is here! http://www.bluetoaster.net/emu/.
Former player
Totally awesome, JXQ, I really respect your desire to better the site. Just one question about the emulators: Isn't there a specific record-reset snes9x somewhere, or is it already in v10? Either way I think it should be mentioned on the page since it's still been a problem for many people (just look at the ff4 thread).
Senior Moderator
Record-reset is supposed to be v10, yes.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
JXQ wrote:
Thanks Maximus. I have one more question though; which files do I need? The GZip, the .deb, or both?)
I would actually only host the gzip files, as it looks like a couple of the debs aren't made properly (someone else may want to test to confirm, but only the snes9x one actually opened with GDebi for me). FYI, the deb is like an MSI/Installed EXE while the tar.gz is like a ZIP of the same thing that you extract and run from where ever.