Submission Text Full Submission Page
Info about the run
  • FCEU 0.98.28
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates good and bad luck
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
Explanations of the game
In this game there is a character where you have to shoot up to Donkey Kong to pass the level
Comments the levels
  • Level 1: Just quickly. When I got into the open button to automatically (which makes the capture time). At the end quickly grab the heat gun (which makes it go faster).
  • Level 2: When you do start the journey back to fast activate automatic
  • Level 3: This level is like the first that has more bees in the hive
  • Level 4: This level is a little, but there bees and insects, but I miss the part that had the air gun (which will be a little slower then the game ends
Note: In this game, but decided to stop levels at level 4. because they are repeated every level (and again)
enjoy

adelikat: Rejecting due to not beating all all known records as stated in the Guidelines. Seems this one completes more levels. I'll let the audience decide its fate then.

mmbossman: As the run before it, I don't think this game makes good TAS material. Rejecting due to bad game choice.

adelikat Unrejecting this submission for consideration into the Vault tier

adelikat: While this game does not have an ending, it does have a clear loop point that can be defined as the place to end the movie. Accepting for publication to the Vault.

Guga: Uh-huh.

adelikat: This movie has been bested, rejecting

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2404: mat89's NES Donkey Kong 3 in 01:04.29
Senior Moderator
A much faster run was rejected for bad game choice. [EDIT] I stand corrected, that run completed only three stages or four.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!
Skilled player (1402)
moozooh wrote:
A much faster run was rejected for bad game choice.
Just to be fair, Diman completed 3 levels, and this one 4... the quality of this run is better than Diman's. It's still a bad game choice though, and I would have voted no. Edit: I'll elaborate a bit. I don't think a TAS of this game looks significantly different from how a regular run would look. No particularly interesting strategies are used... and generally, the more effort is put into a TAS, the more entertaining it is. I'm not saying a whole lot of more effort should have been put into this, or even could have been (although I would be surprised if it's frame perfect)... but that's for me an indication that it's a bad game choice.
I loved this game growing up, but it really doesn't make for a good TAS game. I commend your effort though.
Player (58)
Shouldn't this be in the gruefood?
Experienced player (617)
It was revived.
adelikat wrote:
Rejecting due to not beating all all known records as stated in the Guidelines. Seems this one completes more levels. I'll let the audience decide its fate then.
Measure once. Cut twice.
The Grue puked it up, but I don't think he's done with it.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Wow... it seems like somebody was trying to cash in on Donkey Kong's fame with a bad game. There's no variety in this one at all. It seems like the run is decent technically... the only real delays happen on the first round before the heat gun is obtained. Also, it seems like stopping after 4 levels is a pretty arbitrary stopping point: it's not clear to me that the game really loops from that point onward. However, it seemed well-done enough and it was quick, so a weak Meh vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
I played and enjoyed this game... but does this game is available on atari or this is only for NES ?
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
The main thing I'm considering with the re-judging of this submission is whether it is a clear completion as stated in the Vault rules. Do I need to clarify on games that repeat endlessly?
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
If a game repeats endlessly, then I think one loop of the game should be played, and then input stops. That's been the standard for runs like Circus Charlie and Donkey Kong, for instance. That convention should go in the rules somewhere (it can't hurt to add it), but that wouldn't just apply to Vault movies. It would apply to any submitted run.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
mklip2001 wrote:
If a game repeats endlessly, then I think one loop of the game should be played, and then input stops. That's been the standard for runs like Circus Charlie and Donkey Kong, for instance. That convention should go in the rules somewhere (it can't hurt to add it), but that wouldn't just apply to Vault movies. It would apply to any submitted run.
Well, you just KNOW someone is going to cry BS on that if a TAS of Nes Donkey Kong pops up as there IS a proven Kill Screen for it. [Tom Votava is one of the few to have reached it] I mean I agree otherwise... end it after 1 loop... but I am sure there will be other times where it will become arguable that a secondary stopping point would be desireable.. such as if, for instance, Circus Charlie maxed out at some point that was a bit over a loop or so... as long as entertainment was provided. Atm, with this case, as I am unaware of DK3 having a KS.. I'd say this single loop does the trick and good to go for the vault. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Killscreens really aren't that impressive for TASing, though. It depends on whether the loops offer any variety, like faster enemies or higher point bonuses. If the different loops of the game offered significantly different play (like in the Ghosts and Goblins series of games), that would be different. However, if you're not rewarded with a special ending or different play, it wouldn't actually be interesting. Maybe a good rule of thumb is: could other loops of the game be played merely by doing copying and minor hex-editing of the input? If so, and if the reward for doing so is near inconsequential, it's not worth it. Going to the kill screen doesn't offer any significant extra skill as a TASer in these cases. In theory, somebody can make a run of an old arcade game that hits the killscreen, and maybe that run will make it into the Vault. I pity whoever watches the whole thing, though... Oh god, that means Desert Bus probably has to end up in the Vault! And many many April Fool's runs, which technically are records! (Barney's Hide and Seek, for instance...)
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Stopping after one loop seems perfectly fine to me. Is there a rule for games that require you to play the game twice to complete it though (like NES Ghosts 'n' Goblins)?
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
When both/every loop(s) are the same aside from difficulty, permission is usually granted for the use of a password/savestate/SRAM to start on the hardest loop. See: [303] NES Metal Storm by TheAxeMan in 12:54.23 (Though that particular one, IMO, broke the rules by acquiring the fireball weapon in the verification movie to use in the actual movie.)
Previous Name: boct1584
YoungJ1997lol
He/Him
Player (53)
Just for clarification, are we Unrejecting all the games we rejected for bad game choice? Because I submitted 2 Marios Time Machine videos last year and I think that was considered "Bad Game Choice" after submiting the second one.
So yea, how's it going? Currently TASing: Nothing
adelikat
He/Him
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Just for clarification, are we Unrejecting all the games we rejected for bad game choice? Because I submitted 2 Marios Time Machine videos last year and I think that was considered "Bad Game Choice" after submiting the second one.
Yes, however, optimization is still an issue. If you feel like we should have unrejected your movie, please post in the thread for that game.
YoungJ1997lol
He/Him
Player (53)
adelikat wrote:
Yes, however, optimization is still an issue. If you feel like we should have unrejected your movie, please post in the thread for that game.
I actually canceled it. Should I just un-cancel it w/permission?
adelikat
He/Him
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
adelikat wrote:
I actually canceled it. Should I just un-cancel it w/permission?
You don't need permission to uncancel your own submission :P
YoungJ1997lol
He/Him
Player (53)
OK, thanks.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1889)
This run can be improved by manipulating better luck, suboptimizing location and better shooting (instead of rapid shooting). This means I'm going to submit my run soon. I will use game A too because game B only increases donkey kongs health and makes the power up drop down so late, making the run just much slower.
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...