1 2
6 7 8 9 10
Banned User, Former player
Warp wrote:
Finding the Movie Class Guidelines page is quite difficult.
Btw, the same seems to be true for the tier description page (which took me some time to find, unless I missed something obvious.)
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
I tried looking for the Wiki: MovieClassGuidelines page and immediately got to it from the first page I could think of, which was Wiki: PublisherGuidelines, which in turn is linked to in the Wiki: Users page. (EDIT: It's also on Wiki: Movies under the "Movies by Category" tab, where the sorting lists by movie classes also are.) Wiki: Tier is admittedly a bit trickier, but I found it linked to in the Wiki: Movies page (in the "Movies by Tier" tab), which I think is one of the first places a visitor would even hear the word "tier". Additionally, I typically found it through the links from the Wiki: Stars, Wiki: Moon or Wiki: Vault, which are linked to on all publications and most movie pages. Do you have any other suggestions where linking to them could be convenient or useful?
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
I think that links to those two pages in the "Site" tab under the "Articles index" page should do the trick. Or possibly under the "Movie watching" tab, if that's more logical.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4139)
Fair enough. I've added Wiki: Tier under the "Site" tab and Wiki: Movie Class Guidelines under the "Movie Watching" tab. I think they make the most sense that way.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Experienced player (509)
I don't know if this would actually improve anything but I think having a prompt appear with text about "Your First TAS Submission" to appear on screen when a user is submitting their first TAS to the site would be a nice addition to the site. I know there is a box that says "Please read the Submission Instructions before submitting a movie" but this text is both not extremely noticeable on screen and the link is more about general submission practices rather then a simple list that new users should see. There has been a large number of first time submitters sending in movies that they admit to being at WIP level or are simply an enhanced regular play that doesn't fit the format of the site. I would think if a small prompt appeared on the first submission by a user explaining that submissions are not the place for WIP and to make sure your run beats all known records before submitting it would help new users realize that the submission page is not the proper venue for the work and would direct them to the WIP thread where they could get the proper feedback for their run.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
"You are about to submit your first TAS. Make sure it is well optimized, beats all known records, and meets other [movie rules]. If not, you may just post a work-in-progress movie on [Forums] to get competent help from other members."
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Editor, Skilled player (1939)
I changed the SubmitMovie header a bit, adding the following:
In particular, please ensure that your movie is complete (not a work in progress), and that it beats all known records if going for speed. Works in progress may be posted in the WIP thread or other places.
I don't think a special header for first-time submitters is productive.
Thanks! Am I right that line breakers (%%%) are forgotten there?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
I didn't have spacing in mind when I first edited the page. But I agree that it is better to space it. I've spaced it with paragraph breaks now. http://tasvideos.org/SubmitMovie.html
Player (26)
Since the site is now steadily getting more runs in some of the newer categories, on this index page, I think it would be helpful if the line for "computer" was split into three lines for DOS, MSX, and Windows separately (they are three separate categories/tags in the database, after all); and several more categories now have enough movies that it makes sense to link to the stars and moons only, and have a second button for 'all' movies (the way is done for NES/SNES movies as well), e.g. the MSX, Arcade, and DOS categories. Thank you for your time!
Warp wrote:
The box describing a movie has its classes listed on the right. One would assume that clicking them would give a description of what they mean. Instead, they just jump to a list of all movies having that class (which can oftentimes be pretty large.)
I once again found this rather annoying. Any plan to change it as I proposed?
I think the link should point to the relevant section of the movie class guidelines page (or, perhaps, a page that describes what they mean.) Said page could contain links along the lines of "list all movies with this class."
Radiant wrote:
Since the site is now steadily getting more runs in some of the newer categories, on this index page, I think it would be helpful if the line for "computer" was split into three lines for DOS, MSX, and Windows separately (they are three separate categories/tags in the database, after all); and several more categories now have enough movies that it makes sense to link to the stars and moons only, and have a second button for 'all' movies (the way is done for NES/SNES movies as well), e.g. the MSX, Arcade, and DOS categories. Thank you for your time!
I have now split the computer category into DOS, MSX, and Windows separately.
Many good TAS submited here are actually made by users with chinese as main language. Any reason why there is no chinese subforum? Also, it seem there is plenty of place on the right side of the board.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Thank you for splitting those systems, FractalFusion! They've been needing separate categories for quite a while. BadPotato, there actually is a Chinese thread, but it's hidden in the Other Languages subforum. Would it be a good idea to have a small list of the languages that currently have threads in the Other Languages subforum as a caption (possibly excluding "Dansk")? Such as: Other Languages Suomi, Deutsch, Svenska, 中國
• Only registered users can rate movies. (Note: the rating list also doubles as a personalized favorite list.)
I have a small problem with this: I don't really call the list generated as a personalized favorite list. I think a separated list should be done: A personalized list in which you choose it content, and the list of rated movie. A new icon that says: add to favorite to each publication page. And the list I'm suggesting will simply list them... And of course allow the user to categorize or organise them. Why it should be separated in two lists? -Hard to search a specific run(a favorite run or a special run for example) in a big list where it ordered by publication date if they have the same score. -Won't have a huge list to scroll down(Let's say we rate every games) -In my favorite list, I don't want the runs I rated low on it(obviously it's not a favorite, and yet it's in the list)(And that's the reason I don't rate movies except my favorites: I really don't want a huge list where only 5 % of the movie I rated are actually my favorite runs in a list of 300 entry) -In the current list, every run you rated is listed, even my hated runs... I don't really call that a personalized favorite list) -Maybe other reason I'm missing. Thoughts?
This idea was voiced a few days ago on IRC. We ended up with the need to let the users put personal stars to certain movies. The amount of stars the user has must be 10% of the total amount of movies he rated. Obsoleted movies must be accounted I think. 10% is because it's the quota for the official Stars the site gives. If some movie gets much user stars, it's a great indication it must be starred officially. And having a limited amount of those stars one can make a list that really makes sense, because one just can not handle a list of HUNDRED favorite movies properly. Feel free to disprove and discuss.
feos wrote:
This idea was voiced a few days ago on IRC. We ended up with the need to let the users put personal stars to certain movies.
Yeah it's like what I meant: something other than a list of rated movies. But I think it should be unrelated to stars in some way because I'd like to put somes runs in a particular list so I can find it easier.
feos wrote:
The amount of stars the user has must be 10% of the total amount of movies he rated. Obsoleted movies must be accounted I think.
This is an idea to force members to rate more movies. However, I strongly disagree to have a fixed personnal stars quota. I don't want to have to vote 100 runs so I could star my 10 favorite runs.(or 200 so I can star my 20 favorites runs)
feos wrote:
If some movie gets much user stars, it's a great indication it must be starred officially
I like this idea! We could make the star list to generate with the movies that gets starred a lot? Like: Take the most starred movie of X Platform, etc. Or simply the most stars of every platforms. Etc.
feos wrote:
And having a limited amount of those stars one can make a list that really makes sense, because one just can not handle a list of HUNDRED favorite movies properly. Feel free to disprove and discuss.
Who is going to star 100 movies? Nobody. Also, if we implement a categorization system, handling a big list is easier.(If I had to do it, I'd categorize 100% togheter, any% togheter, etc.)
Ok, so the main issue you have is that you don't want to rate so much movies. Do you think the total amount of user stars must be limited and common for all? What number should it be? We tried to tie the number to something relevant, not have it independent and loose.
feos wrote:
If some movie gets much user stars, it's a great indication it must be starred officially.
I think that the role of stars has not changed much since they were implemented. A movie having a star does not mean that it's one of the best or most liked movies (that's what ratings are for.) A star indicates that it's a movie that represents well what's so cool about TASes, and that's the point. It's a "watch these first" list, not a "these are the most liked TASes" list. Many of the best-rated and best-liked movies do not have stars for the simple reason that there already are other starred movies that demonstrate that particular kind of game and/or form of TASing. Also, at least in theory, even a not-so-highly-rated movie could have a star if it demonstrates a concept exceptionally well. (This is most likely to happen with a game with a very unusual or less common concept, such as a word game or such, which is not common in old consoles.) I wouldn't say that starred movies are somehow "above" moon-tier movies. Starred movies are simply a hand-picked selection of movies that serves a purpose of demonstration. (In this sense a "star quota" seems a bit odd of a concept. The list is representative or it isn't. Why should it matter how many movies there are in it?) Or at least this is how I have always envisioned stars to be, and I think that they have always been at least close to this in concept.
Player (26)
I agree with Warp that it makes more sense for Star Tier to be a hand-picked list of most demonstrative TASes, not a list of which movies get the highest votes. After all, we already have a list of movies with the highest rating, and a handmade list has added value beyond one that is automatically generated from the database. There is an ongoing forum thread with discussion on movies to add to Star Tier; as far as I've seen, this process works perfectly fine, and as the result the Star Tier is a meaningful cross-section of excellent TAS'es. I have no strong opinion on how large Star Tier should be; however, I think that if it gets too large, then it would be better to discuss on the forums which movies to remove, instead of simply dropping the lowest-rated ones back to moon.
I agree with Warp and Radiant. PS: Maybe we should move this discussion to an new thread? Maybe forget the star thingy for a personalized list and just allow an user to put movies in a list and allow him to categorize his list? Another thing: I think you should think remove the history of this entry for the long lists. The history of this entry is very interesting for movies. But not list of movies in my opinion.
I have another request! I think we should have an forum that's is exclusive to lua script help. I'd like to TAS some games, but I don't know how to produce a helping lua code... I need help(and others too). In this forum a topic could be created for quick questions such as this topic from SMWcentral And new topics for bigger codes such as producing a complete script for TASing a game Example of topic: "I'd like to do this(A thing very complicated), but doesn't know how to do it..." And so on. In some words: The lua related topics are scattered among the forums... I think we should reunite the future lua posts in a forum. Of course we could talk about it in the game topic of the game we focus for the lua script. but if 4 pages of the topic consists in helping the production of a lua script... Also, even if it needs memory adress, it shouldn't be a place to ask about memory adresses. Some rules is necessary of course... What do you think?
Skilled player (1706)
I have a request. Can a small icon be placed next to a movie's name when a user is logged on that appears if said user has rated the movie? This'll be convenient so that users won't have to click "Rate this movie" to check if they had done so already.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Does TASvideos have API? I want to fetch the score of certain players within a script, but I don’t want to deal with parsing the HTML, which can suddenly change. Would be nice to be able to fetch such data (preferrably JSON or XML encoded) in REST manner. Also I wouldn’t like to generate much parasite load by fetching huge sets of pages.
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Active player (432)
I want to be able to _like_ a post. Also, don't think this is possible (never tried it before) but when you send a pm, it would be greatly appreciated if you could include others.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
1 2
6 7 8 9 10