Submission Text Full Submission Page
Super Mario Bros. 3 was a big hit worldwide. Its 2004 remake for the GBA was an excellent remake adding extra E-reader Levels and other fun things. This TAS, solely done by me, plays through the game with warps. This is like Miachel Fried's SMB3 Run which is just raw skill.
The Left + Right Trick allows Mario to go at running speed without the P-meter. This is not used.
AVI Postponed until after Judging
  • Emulator used: BizHawk 1.8.4

Objectives:

Uses warps

Forgoes time-saving Glitches

Stage by stage comments

World 1-1

This stage went well, although this is waay different than the SNES and NES versions. No GlitchMan grab due to the coin block being in the way.

>World 1-2: The Slider

Sliding speed is faster than running speed. I tried getting this in 1 slide, but physics engine stopped me.

>World 1-3: Whistle No. 1

Overall, this stage went well, but improvement by 3-4 frames could be possible.

(>)World 1 Fortress

I just could NOT get the jump off the block for the leaf. I spent about 350 rerecords on this one spot, and just couldn't get it.

Tanks and Boats Autoscrollers

I am quite good at these autoscrollers. No improvement.

Hand Screen

No Hands. Good Autoscroller.

>World 8-1

Shutter Running? Tried and failed. Possible though. Level went ok.

World 8-2

I spent a lot of time redoing this level to keep P-speed on Piranha Hill, and I got it. Further improvements are about 1-2 frames.

>World 8 Fortress

Good Overall, but someone more skilled could improve this by 1 second.

Last Autoscroller

Almost perfect.

>>Bowser's Castle

This was an OK stage, passing thru walls could be done (I think) but never could get. Bowser fight was great.

> = Stage that can be improved

Other comments

Screenshot Suggestions: Frame 3430
This is actually complete now, forgot to get to princess!!

Samsara: Judging.

KnucklesMaster368: Looking over it, I see many imperfections that need fixing, as the advice in the discussion says. I'm already starting fresh, but this TAS does have a lot of strengths. Not cancelling yet, keep judging Samsara.

Samsara: This run uses a ROM with a crack intro, when it should have been done on a perfect [!] dump. Aside from that, there are noticeable problems with optimization all throughout. Aside from that, the category of "no left+right" is arbitrary. A run of this game should use the left+right glitch, as it makes the run significantly faster.
KnucklesMaster368, I highly recommend following the advice given to you in this thread. From now on, if you know you can do better on a run, don't submit it: Just go straight to doing better. Post WIPs frequently on the forums for other people to judge, and be sure to take constructive criticism well in your endeavor to improve. I'm sure a precisely optimized run of this game (plus the e-reader levels) has a place on the site. Don't give up and keep aiming for it!
Audience feedback is poor, and the run has technical flaws. The ROM is incorrect, and the category is arbitrary. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Hi there, welcome to the site! This movie's two minutes faster than yours: Link to video If you want to redo this movie, that's the time you'll have to beat. Good luck!
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
Note: The run linked by Samsara starts from SRAM, thus skipping the game's "initialising SRAM" screen and saving a few seconds. And Bowser short hop trick was not figured out. If possible, it should be done. @KnucklesMaster, feel free to post WIPs in the GBA forum section.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Hi, KnucklesMaster368 Adding to what Samsara and MUGG said, you can upload your run to userfiles and post it on the forums before submitting to collect feedback before the fact. TASes on the workbench should be as close to perfect as possible. If you want to improve this movie, carefully examine the existing movie(s) and figure out how they can go as fast as they do. If you don't use it yet, learn how to use frame advance. Do not allow mistakes to persist, but try to correct them instead. Check out the various articles we have on TASing, as well as the Super Mario Bros. 3 Game Resources page (not entirely accurate for Super Mario Advance) here. Good luck.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Actually, this TAS might have a fighting chance, I'll get back with a result. Edit: Welp, I already found the first issue of this TAS. The Rom he uses has a special type of bootup. Team Eurasia Crack intro. Looking back on the run itself, it's still pretty unoptimal, you waste time avoiding to get hit by ducking and not actually full gunning it up while avoiding the object itself.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Spikestuff wrote:
Edit: Welp, I already found the first issue of this TAS. The Rom he uses has a special type of bootup. Team Eurasia Crack intro.
I myself wonder why some release groups decide to add some dumb and pointless intro into the ROM. Fortunately, there are tools that remove that garbage.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Dwedit
He/Him
Even after removing an intro, it is not a clean rom.
There are plenty of places to find clean ROMs out there. Just don't ask here where they are. Site rules and all that.
Post subject: Should I change it to a walkathon?
I'm starting a warpless walkathon, or should it be warpless?
If a map had all the information, it would look like this: (shows black construction paper) "Now that's a map!' XD
Post subject: Re: Should I change it to a walkathon?
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
KnucklesMaster368 wrote:
1. I doubt it would be accepted. Walkathon in SMB1 is a novel goal, but anywhere else it just doesn't make any sense. 2. Instead of just starting a new run with reckless abandon, could you read through this thread and address some of our concerns and suggestions?
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Player (57)
KnucklesMaster368 wrote:
Realistically there would be pretty much no functional difference between a TAS and RTA of a walkathon. I would suggest doing just warpless.
Editor, Experienced player (817)
KnucklesMaster368 wrote:
Seconding warpless.. Walkathon is a cool goal for SMB1, but makes no sense everywhere else. I also suggest adressing the points raised up in the thread.
Post subject: I get that this is infact slow...
If this doesn't fit, I could change the Category to any% no Left + Right. I also get that this needs heavy improvement, but I'm stuck in between 5 TASes.
If a map had all the information, it would look like this: (shows black construction paper) "Now that's a map!' XD
Post subject: Re: I get that this is infact slow...
Player (149)
KnucklesMaster368 wrote:
If this doesn't fit, I could change the Category to any% no Left + Right.
No, you cannot.
Post subject: Re: I get that this is infact slow...
TheRealThingy wrote:
KnucklesMaster368 wrote:
If this doesn't fit, I could change the Category to any% no Left + Right.
No, you cannot.
Aside from improving the TAS, what can I do?
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
KnucklesMaster368 wrote:
What can I do?
Well first, STOP HITTING DISABLE HTML AND BBCODE!
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
You can do anything you want, with or without left+right. You are the runner/TASer. Do what you think is the better choice, and make it a good run. If you want to make a left+right run, it will have to be equal to or better than my youtube video from earlier (sans the "initialising" screen, which you can leave out if you want, or include. That is your choice). If you want to do that, I can give you my old VBM (VBA TAS Movie file) and a download link to VBA v21 so you can see exactly how many frames each level took, then try to reproduce/improve that in your new run. Note, you should not use VBA v19-23 for TASing anymore. Use VBA v24 svn480 or Bizhawk VBA-next core. If you kindly ask me, maybe I will even make you a lua script or a watch file so you can see your position and speed.
Expanding on what MUGG said, there are a lot of people who are willing to dedicate some of their time to help you on the TASvideos IRC channel. We've been surprisingly getting a lot of newcomers lately, like CatlyNat. Help on how to get started, how to optimise and make your run entertaining, find RAM adresses, make your own script.. as well as support and review of your WIPs, which you can submit in the userfiles, will be always freely given here. Please try and go the extra mile. We are always welcome to give help, but only if you make yourself able to be helped.
Spikestuff wrote:
KnucklesMaster368 wrote:
What can I do?
Well first, STOP HITTING DISABLE HTML AND BBCODE!
I'm sorry that is now fixed
Would it be faster to TAS an English rom w/o intro or a Japanese Rom with Team Eurasia Crack Intro??
KnucklesMaster368 wrote:
Would it be faster to TAS an English rom w/o intro or a Japanese Rom with Team Eurasia Crack Intro??
If your rom has garbage an crack intro, it means that it is not a clean rom. To get an clean Japanese ROM, simply search 'gba super mario advance j rom' (I'm not allowed to link anything here, due to site rules). You will need a clean ROM for your TAS to be valid. Otherwhise, I don't know version differences between the two games. If you know one is significantly different/faster from another, use that one.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!
Unknown394
He/Him
not that bad actually, too bad it's not fast enough
I love Nintendo