Jungle Hunt for Commodore 64
This submission uses the same cartridge image as the currently published run which was completed using PAL settings in BizHawk.
This submission uses BizHawk's NTSC settings.
I could not determine which version this cartridge dump is, but there are no obvious graphical or sound glitches with either setting. It may be a universal release.
As such, a run using NTSC settings results in a faster video by about 29.3 seconds.
This submission is thus the faster of the two runs. I feel it should replace the current publication.
Noticeable differences between the runs
- RNG of the monkey in the first stage, the gators in the second stage, and the boulders in the third stage
- It's possible to manipulate the monkey to not show up by delaying a jump one to two ropes before the monkey would otherwise appear. This can (but not guaranteed to) make getting through vines faster. This tactic is only needed once in this run. The two monkeys that do arise are easily avoided with normal jumps.
- I play around a bit in the third stage (jumping erratically around while waiting on the boulders).
- On the last boulder of stage 3, I demonstrate an input glitch than allows instantaneous repositioning of the character further to the right of the screen. Though not done here (as points weren't considered in this run), this glitch could be used to acquire a higher score by jumping/ducking a single boulder multiple times which is normally impossible.
Further improvement possibilities
- I could not discern RNG for boulders. If someone could, more fast-moving boulders could be manipulated resulting in a faster Stage-3 as completion of the stage seems to be based on number of boulders, not time.
Fog: With the recent rule clarification about how to properly handle regions for C64 submissions, I'm accepting this run as a improvement to the previous publication.
feos: Drill Dozer is already encoded by Stovent, so I'll process this one.