Boulder Dash is an action puzzle game. The object of each level is to collect a diamond quota and step onto the exit square without having something crush you, touching a bug, getting trapped, or running out of time.
- Used FCEU 0.98.12
- Uses the password 724045 to warp to the hardest difficulty
- No deaths
- Aims for fastest time
- Uses tricks: Catching falling boulders/diamonds on head, running past bugs, manipulating luck to make amebas reproduce faster
- This game consists of 4 quests. Each quest has 6 themed worlds, each with 4 levels. The 4th quest is made up of the most difficult incarnations of each level. The first level played in the movie is 19-1.
- Levels 20-3 and 24-3 have amebas. Amebas turn into diamonds when they completely fill their space. However, due to the horribly random nature of their reproduction, it usually takes a long time for them to find their last gap and fill it. Luck manipulation helps a little in these cases, but doesn't work huge miracles due to the overwhelming odds.
- Level 24-3 is a bit boring. On a normal playthrough of this level, on average the amebas wait until about 40 seconds remaining to convert. Many times they will even refuse to become diamonds altogether, causing the player to run out of time. Here, I managed to get the amebas to convert at 130 seconds remaining- although it's still not very exciting to watch. (I faked a movie desynch on this level while I waited)
- Sometimes the order in which piles of diamonds are collected will seem questionable, but collapsing piles of diamonds take longer to collect than still piles. Falling diamonds cannot be collected.
DeHackEd: Reformatted submission and encoding.
DeHackEd: Since you're working on an improved version and seem to be making good progress, I'll cancel this submission and wait.