Good to know
- 2 enemy slots
- Bosses uses an enemy slot
- 3 projectile slots
- 2 different lag levels
- Horizontal lag: Kenshiro/camera only moves vertically
- Half horizontal lag: Kenshiro/camera moves 1 px horizontally for 2 frames
- Mini bosses are a type of an enemy
- Main boss fights are special
- Loaded if there is a free enemy slot
- Double KO glitch
It's possible to dmg on the same frame the boss does for a double knock-out.
In this case the player wins and the stage ends.
- Double exploding enemy boss glitch
Doing the double exploding enemy will take up the 2 out of 2 enemy slots before entering a boss screen.
If an enemy is in an exploding state (only happens when you kill them with B: punching), depending it's exploding timer, the enemy won't be cleared from the enemy table when you start a boss fight.
Since the boss spawns with 0 health, his exploding timer will start, which is first the highest timer version of the boss and then the small timer version of the boss (when an enemy has 0 health, they will only explode after 128 - current timer frames).
- Screen lock bypass
You can bypass screen barriers, because the camera X position overflows, from 0 to 65535 camera x position.
This works for both sides.
1. Go left beyond the starting cam X pos
2. Go right until you increase your cam X pos without reaching starting cam X pos
3. Go left as long as you want
The screens getting loaded seems to always use correct level data. Enemies and projectiles won't spawn unless it's intended around that camera X position.
- TODO: the following address are enemy ID,
- 0x398 for enemy slot 0
- 0x3AA for enemy slot 1
- Picking up a normal power up: 3000 score points.
- The following table made by changing enemy ID
|Power-up ID||Visual sprite||Effect
|0||no power up
|1||half star||+1 star if you have 4 star already IIRC
|2||full star||+1 star
|3||golden necklace||+ 3 bomb
|4||white flag||no effect
|5||white flag||increases level by 1 <- what we call glitched next level power up
|6||white flag||no effect
|7||golden necklace||+1 hit
|B||nothing (also gets removed fast)
|C||nothing (also gets removed fast)
|12 to 28|| either Kenshiro or nothing and also gets removed fast
|70||opens a door?||nothing apart from a visual door being opened
|71||one of the bosses||restarts stage
|74||Kenshiro||err a visual animation plays: probably kills everyone on screen. don't know as I'm not familiar with the game
- Region: Hokuto No Ken 2 is the original Japanese version of Fist of the North Star.
- Continue: In the Japanese version, when you use a continue after beating at least Stage 5, you are dropped in Stage 4. In the US version, you continue from the stage you were on.
- Projectiles: The Japanese version is harder because projectiles are randomly thrown at you from the sides of the screen like in the previous game (more opportunities to damage boost for example at Stage 2 (level 1) and more potential lagging)
- Bosses: Some mini bosses only vulnerable to their weakpoint which is their heads
- Cutscenes: The NPCs that appear at the end of some stages were removed for the US version.
- Duration is 94 frames + variable frames
- 220~342 for 1st boss
- 476 for 2nd boss
- 436 for 3rd boss
- 474 for 6th boss
- Glitches: Works the same way. Movie showing the 2nd double explode miniboss with 2 next level powerup for Japanese version userfiles/info/73227026846335122