This is the NES port of the first M&M, the game that spawned a huge series of first-person RPGs and provided the universe for the Heroes spinoff series. In this run I use an item glitch to get the important items ASAP, skipping several go-get-the-key quests.
- Emulator used: fceu-0.98.15 (FCEU 98.16 reportedly desyncs)
- Abuses Programming Errors
- Aims for fastest time
- Manipulates Luck
Explanation of the glitch
If you press button B on a blank space in the main character's equipped list, the last (6th) item in the backpack list changes. The item ID is reduced by 1. The Useless Item, what you get for using all the charges on a plain item, is FF, and the two key items of the game happen to be FE and FD. This glitch is also used to get a high-value sellable item from junk, a flying carpet, and a King's Pass.
Reading this section should answer most questions that come up.
- Started a new game, named the main character, and took 4 members from the inn to fill player 1's inventory with clubs, help with fighting, and unlock stuff. I skipped character 2 because I only needed 5 chars total and I wanted the knight and robber close to the top of the list.
- Stepped on a monster tile and made sure it was sprites, because only they drop gems. They also are made to drop a trivial item which I glitched into a pricey item. Without weapons equipped, only the main character and Sonja can strike enemies for damage.
- Paid the leprechaun a gem for travel to Dusk.
- Sold the cash item, bought two Magic Oils (2 x 1000), used one to give the other exactly 2 charges.
- Glitched the Useless Item (first oil) into an Eye of Goros.
- Recharged the EOG twice, since I need at least 6 charges on it.
- Glitched the Useless Item (second oil) into a Key Card.
- Bought a Skill Potion (600), left town, and glitched it into a Flying Carpet.
- Flew to C1, got the Merchants pass.
- Glitched Merchants Pass into Kings Pass and got another Merchants Pass. You need both.
- Flew to E3, got and gave the briefest password, and entered the castle. The password is not valid until you hear it. DEEM is 17 frames faster than the next fastest possibility, SOUTH.
- Confronted false Alamar. I needed the Passes to get through the doors.
- Gave the answer to the soul maze; the inner santorum is now enterable.
- Completed the 5-part astral plane sequence with the help of the Eye of Goros and keycard. The place is full of invisible walls.
- I have to leave town but the guard won't let me out for my own good since I'm still level 1. The fastest way out is to leprechaun to another town and walk out from there.
- Flew to B1. I'm already in B1 but it's still faster to fly to the other side of the map. Entered the gates for the end sequence.
- Stepping forward or backwards takes about half the time of turning left or right.
- You cannot walk backwards through doors or soft walls.
- There was a combat square less out of the way in town but I could not get it to give me an encounter with just 1 or 2 sprites. I tried hundreds of frames.
- It's possible to make a no-damage run but waiting for the frame when the both enemies miss might take awhile.
- Sometimes the lower window is made to scroll closed then open before displaying text. This wastes time. You can skip the animation by button pressing but sometimes the window partially closes anyway, no matter what frame you buttonpress.
Truncated: Tentatively accepted, assuming we can get the subtitles to work well. You are welcome to contact me if you want to help.