1st Nesvideos Dream Team Contest Competition "Gaiden"
from 2006-01-06 to 2006-01-20 (2 weeks)
Contest organized by Brushy
- The game to TAS is Super Mario Land 2 (GB) (rom Super Mario Land 2 - 6 golden coins (V1.0) (UE) [!].gb) (information revealed only on contest start day 2006-01-06)
- Normal difficulty
- Movie must obey the rules of this site. No cheats and debugging and so on.
- Everybody in the team must participate in movie making by recording something.
- No outside help is allowed (but common knowledge is usable).
- Movie must be submitted to the contest on 2006-01-20 (2 weeks after the start).
Game Boy - Super Mario Land 2 TAS by RED TEAM RULES
RED TEAM RULES IS:
- Abuses programming errors
- No deaths
- Manipulates luck
- Aims for fastest completion
- Takes damage to save time
emulator used: VBA-rerecording-17.1
NOTE: this is the very same video we submitted to the contest, not the planned improved version (which was never made).
This is the winning movie for the competition out of a total of 1 submitted movies (all teams). It's actually very precise and we think that it can't be improved by much, despite the apparently crazy routes.
Our team managed to work together very well, with FODA testing some routes and glitches, BagOfMagicFood doing research on tricks and optimizing the run, while Randil and Shinryuu experimented with the game's physics and did good optimization too. This was throughly a good experience although it was very time taking since we only had 2 weeks to do it!
The pipe glitch:
- Found at David Wonn's site, this glitch enabled us to cut several minutes of our first route test run (32 minutes long) when used correctly. We've found a lot of bricks with unusual behavior, some would lead to secret exits, some would do damage, some would give several coins per second while some would reset the game and some would even give illegal opcodes which automatically closes the rom! This was very tricky and we started the final version only a couple of days from the end of the contest because of all the experimenting with this glitch and finding better ways to use it. The glitch consists of getting in a pipe and exiting the level so that mario is still going down when he leaves. This way, when you enter another level, mario will still be going down for 1 frame, enough to push him inside the floor. For some reason, there are blocks below on most levels and they even work for boss levels.
The 100 enemies starman:
- This run kills 99 enemies before entering wario's castle to save a few frames on those ball bosses. We found that feature to be pretty neat :)
The "hit on a passing block rule":
- If mario jumps just past a block above his head, he is pushed forward 1 extra pixel.
The movement rule:
- Mario moves 1 pixel then 2 then 1 then 2 and so on while running.
The jump height rule:
- Mario's jump can be higher if the "A" button isn't held past a certain point (26 frames). If the "A" button is kept on hold for 1 extra frame, the jump height is shortened considerably.
The fall off a ledge rule:
- If mario is too fast, when he falls off a ledge he will do a little hop up and then start falling slowly. To avoid this, release "B" before the ledge to get low speed enough, so he falls at a considerably higher speed.
The horizontal speed while in the air rule:
- When in the air, if mario goes below a certain speed, he can't achieve max speed again unless he reaches ground to get running speed.
Bisqwit: Removing Shinryuu from the author list (his own request).
adelikat: Turns out that the pipe glitch can be used to this extend only by using exploiting a bug in emulation rather than a bug in the game itself. This is in violation of the guidelines that state that the games must look like they were done on authentic hardware. As a result this submission must be rejected.
This may turn out to be a good thing since a correctly emulated version will use the glitch to a lesser extend which will probably make it more entertaining to the general audience.