Blues Brothers TAS by Randil
- Emulator used: FCEU 0.98.16
- Aims for fastest possible time.
- Takes damage to save time
- Uses death as a shortcut
- Genre: Platform
This run is 875 frames (14.583 seconds) faster than Acmlm's run of this fast-paced platformer. Time was saved thanks to a trick that allows me to jump really high from ladders and some small route changes and, of course, optimized movements.
About the game:
Blues Brother's is fast-paced platformer. You make your way through 5 levels, and there are no bosses, and you can't kill any enemies, so you'll just have to avoid them. You can crouch to get under obstacles.
The levels are not straightforward, instead they're like mazes, and this often allows for a few shortcuts here and there.
You can take 3 hits before dying, and you also have 2 lives.
General tricks and comments:
- This game lags a lot. The game tries to keep you centered on the screen, so the screen usually scrolls whenever you jump. This often causes lag. I tried to avoid lag as much as I could, and I shaved off several frames by reducing lag.
- By jumping off ladders at the right time, you gain some impressive vertical momentum. This trick is used a lot in this run as both opens up new shortcuts and makes climbing up ladders faster.
- There is a dog that you can ride in this game. When you jump up on him, he'll run straight forward (really fast) until he hits a wall.
- On level 3, I manage to jump through a wall, thanks to the spikes. When you're in the "ouch i'm hit" animation, you can walk straight through spikes.
Useful memory addresses:
03D0 X position 03F0 Y position 042A Health points 0428 Lives 04XX Y-position of objects. Useful on level 1. 0431 X position of the dog (the one you can ride)
That should be all. Enjoy!
NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes!
adelikat: Accepting as an improvement to the currently published run and encoding.