This is a 20.5 second improvement over my previous TAS. Improvements come from the ability to use better tools, such as Ram Watch, that I didn't have when using old mednafen-rr.
- Gordo runs on the ground at a rate of 8 pixels per input frame (4 frames), but when run-jumping he moves at 10 pixels per frame. Obviously being in the air as much as possible is good. However, he can only jump at a fixed amount, and so it is difficult to plan this and find opportunities.
- Health Management is complex. Gordo is tiny and enemies are HUGE, like well over half the screen many times. If you don't want to stop and fight them, you must go through them. And typically they deal a lot of damage (the ones that aren't insta-death, which too many are). Worse yet, you don't ever get an energy refill between levels or worlds! So you must consider each opportunity to take damage in context of the whole TAS.
- Bananas give you health, this helps a lot. However, the collision detection is horrible for bananas, and often Gordo will run right over them without touching them, sometimes you have to get creative just to get gordo touching the banana on one of the few video frames (this game's video is an awesome 15fps).
- Lag. You would think that given 4 frames to process the video, and a tiny screen, that it would be enough. But no, this game is always lagging even more.
- When Gordo runs, he flails his arms around like a maniac. This is hilarious and fun to watch. And probably more interesting than anything I just said.
And yay, Lynx emulation in BizHawk.
feos: Accepting as an improvement.