Table of contents
Neko Project 2 is an emulator for the Japanese computer system PC-98. It can be used with either libTAS or Hourglass to make tool-assisted speedruns.
libTAS is fully compatible with Neko Project II kai, specifically the SDL build (NOT the "X with GTK2 and SDL" build).
What you'll need
- libTAS 1.4.3 or newer.
- Remember that the run must sync on an official emulator version or it will not be accepted.
- The SDL build of Neko Project II kai.
- If that build is insufficient for your needs, make an issue or a pull request and we'll try to incorporate your changes.
- Floppy and/or hard drive images for your game.
- A font ROM - this is not strictly necessary for sync, but text will be corrupted or nonexistent if you don't have one. The file
38d32748ae49d1815b0614970849fd40) is safe to use.
By default, the config file is stored in
np21kai.cfg. You need to create this folder, or else NP2kai will not save the config!
- Specify the path to the font ROM on the line
fontfile =, otherwise some characters will not show up properly. Use whichever one you like, this does not affect sync.
- Specify the hard drive on the line
- If you want to set up rhythm files (
2608_BD.WAV, etc), put them in
~/.config/sdlnp21kai/. These files have to be in all uppercase, including the file extension! Otherwise NP2kai will not be able to find them.
If you want to adjust any system settings such as the CPU speed and the memory, run
sdlnp21kainatively and middle-click the window to open the built-in GUI (never open this menu in your submission movie). Note any changes from the default settings in your submission notes or in the movie annotations. We may ask for the contents of your
np21kai.cfgfile if we have trouble syncing your movie.
Using with libTAS
- The executable path should be set to
/usr/bin/sdlnp21kai, or wherever you've installed it.
- Make sure
Runtime -> Time tracking -> SDL_GetTicks()is checked.
- If you want to start with a floppy in the drive, put its path in Command-line options.
Frames per secondto 1000000000 / 17723226
THIS IS ALL PRELIMINARY, NOTHING OFFICIAL HAS BEEN DECIDED YET
- Follow all rules already in place for submitting libTAS movies.
- Make sure your floppies and hard drives are brand new! Having different files on the drive images may cause desyncs when run on other systems. User data such as saves and high scores are written directly to the drive images, so always start your movie with fresh, untouched floppy drives/hard drives.
- When making a libTAS movie that you plan to submit to TASVideos or upload it to userfiles, put
Platform: PC98at the very start of the movie annotations, that way the site will recognize your platform properly.
- Never open the built-in GUI during your movie! Any configuration changes should be made outside of libTAS.
- In your description or movie annotations, please provide the following:
- libTAS version
- MD5 hashes of any hard drive files and/or floppy files you used
- Any changes you made to your configuration. Posting your entire
np21kai.cfgfile is ideal.
- Windows build: http://nenecchi.kirara.st/#PC-98
- Guide: https://nc-roadgeek.neocities.org/mima/pc98-neko.html