(Link to video)
Klonoa, with the help of his ring spirit Huepow, must protect the land of Phantomile, a mysterious place fueled by people dreams.

Game objectives

  • Emulator used: PSXjin 2.0.2
  • Bios: SCPH1001.BIN
  • Aims to beat the game
  • Take damage to save time

Comments

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile is a 2.5D platform game developed and published by Namco in 1997. With his minimalist gameplay (X or triangle to jump, circle or square to throw his ring) and only one jumping height, one would think this game is easy to TAS. That's until the game mechanics are explored... Compared to the TAS of マチョリーさん that can be find on Nicovideo (and that gives me a lot of ideas in the route planning), this TAS end up more than 6 minutes before マチョリーさん's one, for a lot of reasons.

About Klonoa's speed

It is a signed double word (4 bytes) at 0x000BF068 that can go over 50000 on flat ground. In order to simplify the next explanations, I will refer as speed the 2 upper bytes of the "true speed", ie the word at 0x000BF069, until the end of these comments.
With that in mind, the max speed on a flat ground is either 208 when going to the right and -208 when going to the left (but it can sometimes be 209 on some grounds). The max speed is equal to 320 on slope ground (and it isn't always obvious when a ground is a slope one or not).

Tricks and glitches

Bunny hopping

While in the air, Klonoa's speed isn't constant but switches between a couple of 2 values each frame, and there are 8 possible couples for each direction :
  • To the right : [200;208] [201;209] [202;210] [203;211] [204;212] [205;213] [206;214] [207;215]
  • To the left : [-201;-209] [-202;-210] ...... [-207;-215] [-208;-216]
The couple is determine by Klonoa's speed at the last frame he was on the ground. For exemple, If his speed was either 1 or 9 or 17 or .... or 201 or 209 or ... then the couple will be [201;209].
As you can see, Bunny hopping is faster than running as long as you use the fastest couples, and in fact you can always get one of the two fastest as speed never goes up by more than 2 per frame while on the ground.

Slide on the ground

Once the speed is equal or above to 208 (-208), Klonoa will slide on the ground if he stops moving or moves in the other direction until his speed goes down to 0. This is by far shorter with the second method.

Setup the Bunny hoppings

When the speed isn't good to jump (usually 208 when you want 207 or 206), there is 2 ways to setup the required speed :
  • Don't move for 1 frame so that you slide on the ground and lose 8 units of speed, then move again until your speed reachs 207 or 206
  • Move in the other direction for 1 frame so that you lose 14 or 13 units of speed, then move again until your speed reachs 199
The second way is only faster if you can't reach a speed equal to 207 with the first one.

About acceleration

The speed accelerates faster in the air (8 units per frame) than on the ground (1 or 2 units per frame). However, from a speed below 152, it is better to run on the ground for 1 frame before jumping, as the speed will go up to 160, even if it was equal to 0 on the previous frame.

Quick half-turn

If Klonoa is going in a direction but must then come back (for exemple after getting a key), it is faster to do back - nothing - back - back - back... than holding back the whole time, as Klonoa will only slide for 2 frames that way.

Catching animation cancel

Klonoa can't move while he doesn't hold his ring (at best he will slide on the ground). However, he can still jump, but it will also cost time as the initial speed will be equal to 0 and if the ring was throw to catch a monster, the game will automatically use the double jump.
That's why it is always faster to throw the ring while in the air, though it is sometimes impossible to avoid hitting the ground before the ring is back. However by hovering for at least one frame before hitting the ground, you can cancel the animation that prevents you to move, which can be faster in some cases.

Stage by stage comments

Vision 1-1 : There are some slopes on the very first area.
Vision 1-2 : With every elevator-like platforms (the carriage in this vision) that prevent you to escape with invisible walls, the speed doesn't go down to 0 if you hit these walls.
Boss 2 : If I hit the boss too fast the first time, he will be slower (by far) to reach the middle of the area. If I start to go to left one frame sooner in either the second or third part, the boss will not go on the left rock.
Boss 3 : Hits number 1 and 2 were done on the first possible frame so that monster jumps on the field. Same apply for the fourth hit but this time so that the boss flee to the left.
Vision 4-1 : There is a small safe zone in the back of the fire orb ghosts that allow Klonoa to grab them earlier than the normal way by some seconds.
Vision 5-1 : It is impossible to hold two orbs at the same time, else I would be able to get the blue orb by using the red orb route.
Vision 5-2 : On the screen where you must free a monster from a cage, it's faster to leave and come back than to wait for the night to end.
Boss 5 : You can't hit him with monsters if he is on the other side of the field (the monsters Klonoa throws don't go that far).
Boss 6 : Going in the teleportation device skip his phase shoft animation, and it also allows me to manipulate the trajectories of his projectiles.
Final boss (2) : It is faster to die at the beginning than to wait for his animation.

Possible improvements

  • A new sequence break
  • Better speed management

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: A nice and good first TAS for this game. Accepting for Moons tier.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 14843
Location: 127.0.0.1
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3972: lapogne36's PSX Klonoa: Door to Phantomile in 45:25.80
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Joined: 10/12/2011
Posts: 6333
Location: The land down under.
/me cracks knuckles Shotgun FINAL encode if accepted I'll be back. Edit: Back. Getting desync at Rongo Lango kept checking settings and everything and nothing :| Any other person getting desync there or something or is it just me? Edit 2: Right this is the common Klonoa glitch... frackers, okay give me a bit. Edit 3: Bios... really? Got Syncage and I'll be able to do fin- wait I'm already doing that now.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Joined: 7/31/2007
Posts: 32
Location: Central Florida
Ummm... wow, you actually found a use for the checkpoint death warp outside of Balue's Tower.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Joined: 10/12/2011
Posts: 6333
Location: The land down under.
Link to video Link to video Edit: Forgot part 3 Link to video quite obvious in the changes
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Joined: 6/23/2009
Posts: 2224
Location: Georgia, USA
I found this game a little too long to be worth a Yes vote; the action didn't have a whole lot of variety for me. However, this is definitely well-played, and the stages at the end are definitely more interesting than the beginning stages. Good job! I have one question: does the game intend for you to get an extra jump by throwing enemies downward, or is that a glitch?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor, Skilled player (1277)
Joined: 1/31/2010
Posts: 327
Location: France
Yes it is intend, and it is the only way to jump higher than with a normal jump.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Joined: 10/9/2004
Posts: 1911
Location: Floating Tower
mklip2001 wrote:
I found this game a little too long to be worth a Yes vote; the action didn't have a whole lot of variety for me. However, this is definitely well-played, and the stages at the end are definitely more interesting than the beginning stages. Good job! I have one question: does the game intend for you to get an extra jump by throwing enemies downward, or is that a glitch?
Yes, that is an intended mechanic and is explained in Stage 1-1 (you couldn't complete the level w/o it. As for the run itself, DAMN some of those shortcuts. The one in 5-1 blew my mind. I was going "WTF is he doing?" before seeing the skip on green route. A few of the other small path skips I don't believe are possible on the Wii version. The Gelg Bolm fight is also quite different than the Wii one and appears to be much faster here. Overall, great run. I enjoyed it. I don't know if it's good enough for Moons, but it's definitely a great TAS and should be on the site.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Expert player (2580)
Joined: 6/2/2009
Posts: 1182
Location: Teresópolis - Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
This run is really badass! My vote is No other than Yes!
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
zwataketa
He/Him
Joined: 9/1/2012
Posts: 309
WE NEED KLONOA ON TASVIDEOS PUBLISHED!!!!!!!! YES VOTE!
I quit TASing.
zwataketa
He/Him
Joined: 9/1/2012
Posts: 309
THIS RUN IS AWESOME I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKIN ABOUT SAYING ITS BAD! >:( And dont try to give me the "but its not optimized enough" or "its a bad game choice" because you're WRONG!
I quit TASing.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4135)
Joined: 8/14/2009
Posts: 4083
Location: The Netherlands
zwataketa wrote:
THIS RUN IS AWESOME I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKIN ABOUT SAYING ITS BAD! >:( And dont try to give me the "but its not optimized enough" or "its a bad game choice" because you're WRONG!
Relax. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No matter how much you may disagree with them. (Incidentally, this run doesn't have any no votes so far, so nobody really considered the run bad. Who are you even talking about?)
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Joined: 10/12/2011
Posts: 6333
Location: The land down under.
zwataketa wrote:
THIS RUN IS AWESOME I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKIN ABOUT SAYING ITS BAD! >:( And dont try to give me the "but its not optimized enough" or "its a bad game choice" because you're WRONG!
This game is bad and you should feel bad. This tas is so bad that it shouldn't exist. Because... This wasn't optimized enough at some points. The story to the actual game is poor. It wasn't high class for a ps1 game. This game deserves the VAULT and not the stars. zwataketa open your eyes and face the truth, the doom and the end of this tas.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Joined: 11/8/2010
Posts: 4012
I haven't played the game, but I really liked this run. It definitely looked optimized, there were some neat little tricks, and it was nice and relaxing to watch (like the recent Braid TAS). Yes vote.
zwataketa
He/Him
Joined: 9/1/2012
Posts: 309
Spikestuff wrote:
zwataketa wrote:
THIS RUN IS AWESOME I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKIN ABOUT SAYING ITS BAD! >:( And dont try to give me the "but its not optimized enough" or "its a bad game choice" because you're WRONG!
This game is bad and you should feel bad. This tas is so bad that it shouldn't exist. Because... This wasn't optimized enough at some points. The story to the actual game is poor. It wasn't high class for a ps1 game. This game deserves the VAULT and not the stars. zwataketa open your eyes and face the truth, the doom and the end of this tas.
Im not a guy who takes the false truth. >:(
I quit TASing.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Joined: 10/12/2011
Posts: 6333
Location: The land down under.
zwataketa wrote:
Im not a guy who takes the false truth. >:(
You are also that guy who doesn't understand Kappa (Look closely at last one).
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 14843
Location: 127.0.0.1
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2396] PSX Klonoa: Door to Phantomile by lapogne36 in 45:25.80