Gegege no Kitaro Yokai Daimakyo (ゲゲゲの鬼太郎妖怪大魔境) is an old action game featuring a famous Japanese anime Gegege no Kitaro (ゲゲゲの鬼太郎). It was ported to NES as Ninja Kid for the US market, but I played Japanese one.
- Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.3
- Fastest time
- Luck Manipulation
- Defeat all the bosses
There are 4 types of stages in each map (M):
- Overhead map (魔境マップ)
- Side-scroll makyo stage (4 大魔境)
- Vertical-scroll hell stage (妖怪地獄)
- Boss castle (妖怪城)
There are 5 types of makyo gates:
- Grass field or house (妖界魔境)
- Cemetery, shrine, riverbed or forest (妖奇魔境)
- Death's head or warehouse (妖炎魔境)
- Mountaion tops, treetops, icebergs or limestone cave (妖空魔境)
- Makyo at random (ミステリー魔境)
First you need to get a crystal ball (水晶玉) at one of the makyo to enter the boss castle. You can avoid the hell stage by selecting the correct door which appears at the end of makyo. Each boss has specific weak point, so you need to choose a proper special weapon in each makyo to beat it as quickly as possible.
There are 4 special weapons:
- Finger pistols (指鉄砲) though it doesn't look like a finger
- Fireballs (火炎)
- Chanchanko vests (ちゃんちゃんこ)
- Remote-controlled geta shoes (リモコン下駄)
- Put some empty frames before pressing the start button so that I could enter a random makyo where I could get a crystal ball.
- Put some empty frames before entering a random makyo so that I could enter the treetop makyo which could be complete fastest in M 1, I think.
- Manipulate luck to beat 10 mobs as quickly as possible.
- Got finger pistols to beat the boss easily.
- Manipulate luck so that the boss didn't fire notes. It's very important because the stage doesn't finish and move on to the next map until notes scroll out.
- Defeated the boss with 6 hair needles and 4 finger pistols.
- Actually, the cemetery is not good one to choose except for M 2.
- Manipulate luck to get 10 souls (魂) as quickly as possible.
- Defeated the boss with 2 hair needles, 2 finger pistols and 2 fireballs.
- In the rest of the maps, grass fields or houses are the best.
- Used a new technique "scroll glitch" to beat the last mob by placing the chanchanko at the left of the screen while the mob was at the right of the screen with the same height as the chanchanko.
- Defeated the boss with 3 hair needles, 2 finger pistols, 2 fireballs and 1 chanchanko.
- Defeated the boss with 3 hair needles, 2 finger pistols and 1 fireball.
- Defeated the boss with 2 hair needles, 1 fireball, 1 chanchanko and 1 geta.
- Defeated the boss with 3 hair needles, 2 finger pistols, 1 chanchanko and 1 geta.
- Defeated the boss with 3 hair needles, 2 finger pistols and 2 geta.
- Defeated the boss with 3 hair needles, 2 finger pistols and 1 geta.
: Changed the game title to the North American one (Ninja Kid), as we always go by the NA title regardless of using the JP version which has a different title when the English title exists.
: This run seems relatively well optimized, and ends inputs when the game loops. There is a purported video on YouTube which shows a proper endgame screen, but this is most likely fake so I'm not going to take it into consideration.
Although the reception was mostly positive from the audience, I personally didn't find it too entertaining. With a good portion of the game being just travelling to different buildings on a static map, I don't feel this game lends itself too well to the Moons tier.
Accepting to Vault.