This was a work-in-progress rewrite of our current movie rules.
- Write and open public feedback thread
- Actually begin rewriting the rules
- Tab-ify each section of rules for readability
- Create and begin maintaining a separate page with just the full draft of the rules
- Continue and eventually finish a first pass at simplifying the rules
- Compare/contrast with ThunderAxe's own draft
- Re-organize the rules so it makes sense to read and to prevent repetition
- Implement all thread feedback (so far)
- Ensure that nothing important is omitted
- Finalize simplification draft and have it go live!
- Begin actively adding/removing/changing rules based on community feedback
Long Term Goals
- The rules have just been growing increasingly complicated and wordy over time. We get a lot of questions on what TASvideos does and doesn't accept, there's a lot of misinformation going around over it, and honestly I don't blame either of those things. This is the most important goal of this rewrite.
- The reason they've been growing complicated is because we used to try and account for edge case submissions, adding new clauses to the rules instead of overhauling them. We want to make them simpler to be able to easily adapt them to fit new edge case submissions...
- ...assuming we decide to actually keep most of these rules in the first place. Removing them means accepting more things: My personal goal for the site is to see it accept all games, this is something we can't reasonably do right now, but a rules rewrite would be a huge step towards that.
- As of November 4th, 2021, everything below is completely unchanged from the current MovieRules page. Over time, they will gradually change into a first draft of a new rules page, heavily relying on community feedback to reach that point. Once the community is happy, the current page will be replaced with the simplified version.
- This is not currently meant to be changing any rules! I'd like to save actual rule changes until after the current rules are rewritten and simplified, as it will make it much easier to figure out what actually needs to be changed. Rules may change outside of this rewrite, and those will be accounted for here, but I will not personally be making any active changes myself.
- November 4th, 2021: Page created, information and tasks added.
- November 5th, 2021: Page tab-ified, some progress made on summarizing and drafting.
- November 7th, 2021: Initial drafts finished, moving on to re-organizing.
- November 8th, 2021: Full draft reorganized and at "release candidate" status.
- November 15th, 2021: Oops I've been working almost exclusively on the above Full Draft page recently.
- November 28th, 2021: The initial rewrite has gone live, and the process has moved into phase 2.
- December 7th, 2021: I finally remembered to update this page!