The Norse trickster god Loki is up to no good, summoning zombies and kidnapping the princess. Better go stop him.
This version of the game is quite different from its better known Super Nintendo counterpart. Pretty much everything is different. I think I prefer this version since the difficulty is actually manageable.
Yes, finally there's a run that actually beats the game. I had been thinking about making one, and shisu's run finally pushed me into doing it. One thing it has in common with the Super Nintendo version is the requirement to go through the game twice to fight the final boss. Because of this I input a special code that warps me straight to the second half of the final level. I left the difficulty in Practice Mode for this to get through it quicker; plus, I wanted it to be as though I had just pressed start and immediately started on the second round, so I didn't pick up any weapons or armor.
Once I am thrown back to the start of the game, ignore the word "PRACTICE" that appears in the corner. Once you start the second round, the difficulty is set to Professional Mode, but the word "PRACTICE" won't go away. So yes, this run is indeed played at the hardest difficulty.
- The RNG is extremely rigid and virtually impossible to manipulate. Some areas might be improved if a way to manipulate luck were found.
- The contents of chests change according to a set pattern that I haven't bothered to memorize past the third chest, the weapon chest (the weapon itself is randomized at the time of the appearance of the chest, unless certain requirements are met). It starts at the beginning of a section of a level. In order to move the pattern along, all you have to do is get a chest to appear; no need to open it.
- Jumping is about 12% faster than walking. Sometimes I had to walk in lieu of jumping - or, in level 4's case, jumping instead of walking- to avoid a chest or move into a better position.
- In order to gain access to Loki, you must have the special weapon equipped when you defeat the fly boss. To get the special weapon you must 1) be playing the second time through 2) have the gold armor equipped 3) break open a chest that would contain a weapon.
- I couldn't find a good place to change weapons until I got the special weapon.
- Hit detection can get a little screwy. I took advantage of this on a few occasions.
- This game is not very hex friendly, sad to say. :(
- 5-2: Yeah, it's quite impossible to clear those last two spiked balls without getting hit. I tried to use it to my advantage. Can be improved by several frames from more optimal fights with the troll heads and the fly boss.
- 1-1 and 1-2: Nothing special. Used a damage boost to avoid having to climb a ladder and some back tracking. Possible improvement by damage boosting off an earlier flower.
- 2-1 and 2-2: Again, not too special. The boss is incredibly mobile; it may be possible to beat him faster.
- 3-1: Goi, an autoscroller, and my worst job yet at one. :( I decided to get both the gold armor and the special weapon here since there was no time cost associated with getting either of them here. Good thing the special weapon in this version doesn't suck!
- 3-2: Here we ride the tongues of gargoyles. Could be improved by jumping through the first head; I thought you had to duck under it. >_<
- 4-1 and 4-2: There were a few opportunities to get hit in the name of time. However, I had to pick and choose which ones were the best since there wasn't that much extra armor in the level. In 4-2, it *is* possible to get hit and fall down the right side straight to the bottom; however, my attempts at doing so resulted in the boss not loading. I had to take a slight detour as such. If a way is found to get the boss to load up from that fall, I would be happy.
- The boss fight wasn't very fun to make. The timing was tricky and the special is EXTREMELY temperamental. ~_~
- 5-1 and 5-2: I did another damage boost in order to avoid another ladder and some more backtracking. However, this meant I couldn't get hit at the spiked ball I took a hit from the first time around. I decided to take down a chest warlock to alleviate the waiting on the spiked ball ladder since I could avoid some other chest now thanks to the special weapon being so fast. However, I got through so fast that the cloud monsters were in unfavorable positions this time around.
- Major hit on the RNG on this boss. I couldn't figure out how to get him to come down first thing this time around, so I did the best I could.
- Loki: Insanely quick fight.
- Aims for quickest possible time
- Uses a password
- Take damage to save time
- Abuses errors in programming
adelikat: Accepting for publication. However, I request that whomever publishes this put a note in the subtitles about the use of a password. Also adding "Plays on hardest difficulty" in the game info subtitles would be a good idea. Also, both of these issues should be clearly articulated in the movie description.