- Snes9x 1.43v9
- Use WIP1 Timing
- Allow Left+Right / Up+Down
- Lowest Legit Item Collection
- Ingame Oriented
- Manipulates Luck
- Takes Damage to Save Time
- Abuses Programming Errors
I am fully aware that this run will most likely not be published due to category issue (no, not optimization :P), but I started this run around a year ago, and with this submission text I will be proposing a possible solution to the "too many categories" issue with this game, and publicity!
About the Run (General Viewer)
14% SpeedBooster run: Collects the lowest amount of items for a legit game completion. The 14th item can be substituted as either the Ice Beam or the SpeedBooster. I chose the speed booster route because it
1) Has never been TAS’ed before.
2) Is more entertaining than the Ice Beam route despite the slower Ridley and Mother Brain fight.
Easily the hardest run to perform both on console and TAS conditions, watch as Samus smoothly glides through the game, cheating death by hitting 30 energy at multiple areas, collecting refills at every turn with minimal to none delays, defeating everything with the omega, the unstoppable, the almighty POS Power Beam, and taking on the Metroids with, not the Ice Beam, but Power Bombs!
- Why is this run so difficult? Compared to:
- 14% Ice - Well, for starters, I have the Speed Booster, which means I can spark. That ups the energy management by a ton, the next reason is that the Ice Beam makes for a very easy Tourian, while I’m stuck PBing the Metroids, which calls for extreme kill-yourself manipulation.
- 100% - Despite what you may think, there is pretty heavy ammo/energy management throughout the early stages of this run, assuming you take Hero of the Day’s route.
- Any% - The amount of manipulation required for this run is nothing compared to either of the 14% runs.
I guess that’s all you really need to know if you’re not a Super Metroid freak. Hopefully you will enjoy this, as it was so difficult to make. This run is the most optimized run created so far, with no known improvements, excluding the few-framers which would apply to the TASers part.
About the Run (TASers)
Proper re-record count is around 300-400k I believe, by simply looking at all the SMVs I have from hexing time and time again... >.>
Phantoon first has always been the fastest route, and probably always will be. Doing Kraid after Ridley and Lower Norfair allows me to have the Speed Booster for his lair, but 1 less energy tank for Lower Norfair. The only major time-saver for having Kraid’s e-tank for Lower Norfair is the Big Acid Room Hero-Spark. This spark does not justify the amount of time lost from not having the Speed Booster in Kraid’s lair. The other argument-worthy point is also being stocked on supers from Mini-Kraid. Well, there were more than enough refills along the way to Lower Norfair to justify that alone, but not enough on the way back for Maridia. Thus, I am easily completely stocked for Maridia after doing Kraid’s lair, saving even more time. The estimated time gain is ~3.5 seconds. Yes, a sexy amount. This will also be the most optimal real-time any% route.
Other than the route, all known optimization tricks were applied where they would save time, including a new optimization trick I discovered during this run. We all know about the inverse WJ trick, which wasn’t really anything special other than for entertainment purposes. Well, utilizing this trick and jumping with .4096 speed going right, you can inverse WJ with .4096 speed, thus allowing the game to set your Y sub speed higher than that of a usual WJ. So far, it saved a frame on the wall before the pre-Draygon spark and a few frames in the escape sequence.
There are three people who really stood up and helped me out when needed throughout this run. They really did have a huge impact on the outcome of this run.
- Kriole - Definitely the most deserving as the greatest help. Helped out with heavy manipulation issues and shared your finds during the any% that applied to my run, allowing me to implement them and keep a very tightly optimal run. You’re awesome man, too bad you suck at DotA you sorry piece of shit.
- Saturn - Greatly helped in route making, planning, and helping me optimize very difficult techs seen throughout the run such as the Phantoon fight and reverse kago elevator tech. I’m also writing this text before submitting the run, so I’m going to assume you will be encoding it and making a secksy little AVI for me. Slave.
- Hero of the Day - Ah, my motivator person guy. You’re just fun to talk to and without you around to push me forward, this run would still be stuck at fucking Norfair and the preparations for Lower Norfair. Also had some fantastic ideas for unique techs and timesavers here and there. Also my only American SM TASer bud. (Oops, and Taco!)
The other person I must thank is Cpadolf for mentoring and all my noobish ways back when I started TASing Super Metroid, and of course, having all the answers even when they are not there.
Nach: While this movie is more entertaining than some other lowest no SRAM hacking submissions, it looks too much like our any % run, just slower.
Publishing a movie has to be more about entertainment, not just route selection. I'm not saying this movie is bad in itself, but it was beaten to publication by another too similar but better movie.
Nach: Since more arbitrary goals where wanted is now acceptable, and this run is pretty good, accepting.