- Aims for lowest real time / frame count
- Takes damage to save time
- Abuses programming errors
- Executes arbitrary code
Doors are evil
This is my improvement of 5 frames over the currently published movie.
How I achieved this improvement:
- Performed a leftwards door check to enter the last room in Ceres without losing speed, after having changed the strategy for entering the tile room from the stairs room (which may or may not have helped here, but is at least equivalent in speed). This was accomplished by colliding with the ceiling and performing a backwards input at the same time of the transition occurring. This actually saved 2 frames before the first Zebes elevator due to reducing the amount of loading time of the transition by 1 frame, and due to 1 lag frame being removed from the last room in Ceres due to better RNG caused by the previously-saved frame. However, a frame was lost at the first Zebes elevator due to the elevator frame rule, amounting to a total of 1 saved frame here. (explanation of elevator frame rule coming soon maybe)
- Reduced the loading time of the transition from Missiles room to Construction Zone by 1 frame by advancing the sound queue with the shot button.
- Centered the upper door that leads to Morphing Ball room from Construction Zone by grinding against the blocks before the door while still morphed, rather than colliding with the face block. This prevented the screen from warping from position 0 to position 4, which is what normally happens when Samus collides with a ceiling while morphed. This cost 1 frame to perform, but reduced the transition length by 4 frames.
Taco and Total are listed as co-authors due to their involvement in the previous run. Excluding inputs related to the improvements above, all inputs were copied from the previous run, including Total's arbitrary code inputs. Taco had already superbly optimized this category, and this small improvement only came after many, many tests.
Before Morphing Ball Elevator (downward)
If a frame were to be saved at this point, it would not be consumed by the elevator frame rule.
After Morphing Ball Elevator (upward)
Due to elevator frame rule, 2 frames would need to be saved before an elevator (or the save station, as the elevator frame rule applies to it as well) for there to be an improvement. Saving only 1 frame somewhere would only result in said frame being consumed at some point later on.
Masterjun: Replaced movie file with a 1 frame improvement.