I think this is a good hack to submit ^^
Special thank Metaquarius for creating such a good mini-hack
Patch version: 1.0 (UH) for Super Metroid (JU).smc
- Aim for fastest in-game timer (but still optimize for real-time as much as I can)
- 100% collection
Route and strategy:
- RTA world record by Galamoz
- You'll move very fast as a ball, so Spring Ball is collected as soon as possible
- Grappling Beam is taken right after, because there's a Missile pack that requires it
- Normally killing Spore Spawn is required for Super Missile, but it now can be skipped
- Gravity Suit is taken before going to Draygon's area
- Flying brain now cannot fly anymore :)
Thanks for watching!
Noxxa: This hack doesn't really seem to offer much material compared to the base game or other Super Metroid hacks. Graphical and musical changes are basic, the level design and item placement while designed to be suitable for speedrunning don't offer too much of interest from a TAS-viewing point, and the choice of ending theme appears to be rather controversial to say the least. Ultimately, the hack just does not hold up entertainment-wise, and viewer reception turned out mediocre at best - which is not good enough to publish a hack with. Rejecting.
Memory: Revisiting due to rule changes.
Memory: So the previous judgment is representative of a different time when we were much more snobby. We had a much more narrow idea of what we want to see from hacks and there really isn't a great reason for it now. Watching it now, it's really not a bad hack, even if I tell the ending theme "don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more" from how unfitting it is. Optimization seems absolutely fine. The hack is definitely well known and easily found.
EZGames69: Just as a note for anyone in the future who's planning on re-encoding this, the rom details I've provided is the name of the ips, but the MD5 and Sha-1 are from when the patch is applied to the original ROM. Just to avoid any confusion.