Oh dear, now Gods is finished with Nesvideos quality. Compared to the old (published) movie, this version is 14817 frames faster.
The time was improved by
- Starting the game 1 frame earlier
- Jumping (instead of walking) to the shop spheres
- Taking damage differently to die faster
- Collecting gems differently for faster shopping
- Optimizing bonus countdown
- Shooting some enemies differently
- Beating bosses faster
- Falling fantastically to some ledges
- Using amazing shortcut in the beginning of world 3-1
Basic movie details
- Aims for fastest time
- Takes damage to save time
- Uses death to save time
- Abuses programming errors
Special movie details
- Hercules wannabe dies 9 times
- One bomb-jump was performed
- Spears turn around in the air (happens twice)
- Quick eyes can spot graphical anomalies here and there
- It's still a mystery why one monster does not appear at the end of world 1-2
I tried to optimize everything, frame by frame. I also used hex-editor a lot to test many different choices.
The game seems to be fluctuating in a way that prevents any minor optimizations: being faster at some point means being slower at some later point. IdeaMagnate saw a potential mistake in this movie and I managed to get rid of 6 frames, but unfortunately they came back later due to differences in lag and falling. Mainly, falling to some ledges in a certain way requires specific timing, because that's the way the Gods engine works. Also, falling damage changes between two values every 2nd frame.
This is my final attempt at this game, because there is no way to be any faster.
Gallery of Success and Failure
Edit: I don't want to make a trivial triple submission, so if/when this movie gets published, please use this 2 frames faster version instead: http://www.freewebs.com/aqfaq/gods.zip Thanks.
Truncated: Setting this one to accepted although it has received very little (= basically no) attention. It's very well played, and the constant dying is original. It's four minutes faster than the published version, which is a whole lot considering the original was only 11 minutes.