Posts for Zowayix


1 2
19 20
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
clockwatcher wrote:
About RNG in NSMB: https://roadrunnerwmc.github.io/blog/2020/05/08/nsmb-rng.html
I wonder if there's any TAS category that could make use of this, or if there are any other NDS games that use the same semi-broken RNG function.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Out of curiosity, do any routing differences happen if the branch is timed from the very beginning of the save file instead of after beating the game? (E.g. Are there any places where it would be faster to prepare for the Battle Frontier before beating the game, at the cost of beating the game slower?)
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Memory wrote:
So, does aiming for all these side goals count as full completion or would they count as speed/entertainment tradeoffs (assuming that they do indeed cost time)? EDIT: I completely missed the blurb that they don't cost time in the submission text, silly me.
Looks like bronze/silver AC is the only medal that costs time; if I understand correctly, Masterjun mentions that the game start (after power-on) was delayed by some frames to get a good starting piece sequence. I wonder how difficult it would be to try to get all 3 AC medals during the 100-299 section where non-Tetrises are free, to save these frames. (Since all 3 CO medals also have to be obtained in the same two sections, probably quite difficult.)
"Memory wrote:
The fact that the medals are included makes this able to be considered both fastest and full completion. If a run that was faster than this was performed that didn't get all the medals, I admittedly am unsure whether or not it would be able to be considered as a new branch or not since it'd presumably be so similar. My first inclination is no but I am not sure.
This might just be a pedantic answer, but my first thought is that such a run would go to Vault while this run would remain Moons. The hypothetical new run fits the Vault criteria of fastest time, while not having enough entertainment value (too similar to the 100% branch) to fit Moons.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Likes: • The Mushroom Kingdom II unlock message at the beginning (I've known it was possible but this is my first time actually seeing it) • The Zelda battle • Sniping the trophies with eggs and meteor smashing them into the funnel • Picking Captain Falcon for the horde battle • The first Egg Throw on Master Hand just barely not missing • Constantly parrying the Hands' attacks in the final battle (didn't even know this was a mechanic!) • Getting Crazy Hand to appear at exactly 180 HP and KO'ing them both at the same time • The synchronized hits on Master and Crazy Hand between 137 HP and 95 HP • The No Damage Clear • Playing out the challenger unlock battle • Returning to the main menu at the end of the encode (such a small thing that acts as great closure) Questions: • In the Team Battle, is it at all possible to prevent the teammate from taking damage the same way as the Giant Battle? It's well known that teammates on Very Hard difficulty are notoriously weak, so being able to protect them would be a good additional measure of TAS superhuman play. • I vaguely recall it should be possible to one-hit KO the opponent during the Metal Battle with one Egg Lay at 0%, because of their fast fallspeed and poor recovery? Did you choose not to do this for entertainment purposes, or am I remembering things wrong? • Is 173 credits the max possible from a fresh save file, or is it possible to e.g. pick up more trophies that unlock extra credits?
There's also no timer in this fight, which means I can't even replicate any of the popular aMSa vs. Hungrybox tournament battles.
• Sorry, I'm confused - how does the lack of a timer weigh in here? Dislikes (only one): • Having heard of moonwalks but not Charlie walks before, and having seen moonwalking used frequently in TASes as a way to show off during downtime, the multiple turnarounds during Race to the Finish look a little too much like "purposely dawdling to show off" instead of "a movement option only barely slower than optimal". Reading the submission text, it looks like this is just a visual misconception on my end, but other audience members might think this too.
Post subject: Re: #6622: Blazephlozard's GBC Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team GR! in 01:54.19
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
fsvgm777 wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
I'm not sure if you'd prefer "GR Dan Sanjou!" in the game name; googling Pokemon Card GB2 suggests that "Here Comes Team GR!" has become the most common subtitle (and is used on Bulbapedia and Speedrun.com).
We always use the romanised title when the game was never released in the USA, not the translated title. There's at least one precedent.
Does this apply to bootlegs also? As a fan of Pokemon TASes specifically, it's frustrating to see "Platinum Edition" smack dab in the middle of this page where its placement (right after Pearl, by coincidence) makes it much more easily confused with Platinum Version. If we're using romanized titles instead, the bootleg's title screen says 口袋妖怪 白金版 and the romanization can be found in the submission's ROM filename. Sorry for the slight off-topic.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Thanks!
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Regarding the changed obsoletion chain, shouldn't 504M and 548M belong to the glitched chain instead of the glitchless chain? Those two movies use the Mew glitch which involves memory corruption. That would leave the glitchless chain with only two movies (this one and the very earliest R/B one), the only ones to obey the glitchless rules.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
I've always thought of the 0:00 branch as "hard resets allowed" and the other branches as "no hard resets allowed", since it implies an extra input button on the 'controller' that isn't usually considered input (the power button). The fact that the hard reset is required to corrupt save data is secondary, sort of.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
With ACE you can do anything, but the setup would probably take much longer than just repeating the cloning glitch 17 times.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zSukvRdRYo This is the closest attempt I know of, but the player's game freezes when they try to open the Pokemon menu to fly out of the void.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Meh vote for naming everyone "A" making battles extremely hard to follow, and the vague category description. There has to be a stronger, more objective definition of "glitchless" right?
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Just to make sure I understand correctly: The particular problem refers to this specific 451 report, and the underlying problem refers to people in general giving false reports to Google and Google failing to have an adequate mechanism for dealing with them?
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
I'm getting it right now. March 31 10:07pm EDT (US).
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
My interpretation is that MrWint's tests could only get to within ~11 frames of the frame rule, while @HappyLee you got to within 1 frame of the frame rule. This means that there must be some strategy or other thing that MrWint's tests did not cover.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Brock Through Walls is memory corruption (game reads a ton of unrelated values as cutscene walk data). The precursor, Brock skip, is not.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
andypanther wrote:
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
TASes that use the equivalent of the RTA ruleset for "Any% Glitchless" should be published with label "no memory corruption".
That doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm pretty sure there are tons of glitches that don't fall under the definition of memory corruption, but would still very obviously be banned in any glitchless ruleset. Like, for example, Brock skip: Is that glitch using memory corruption?
Ah, thanks. That tears a pretty big hole in my "no memory corruption" idea, because I can't think of anything during Brock skip that reads or writes unintended data. The root cause of that is "the game disables the directional buttons but forgets to disable the other 4 buttons for a couple of frames".
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
TiKevin83 wrote:
I disagree with the assumption of difficulty in defining glitch. The "glitchless" category used in the RTA community is based on a very straightforward definition of "no arbitrary code execution."
"No ACE" isn't sufficient, because loads of inarguable glitches don't cause ACE. To demonstrate, ACE wasn't discovered until 2012, but the first RBY movie here that uses glitches was published in 2006. But as ThunderAxe31 says, "no memory corruption" should be sufficient on its own. If you define it as "no reading or writing unintended memory", then: - Mew glitch is banned, because the game (at least) reads Attack & Special stages as level and species. - Old Man glitch is banned, because the game reads your name as wild Pokemon data. - Missingno. is triple-banned, because the game reads (and writes) an item quantity as a Pokedex flag, reads (and writes) Hall of Fame data as sprite pixels, and reads Biker party data as base stats. - Fight Safari Zone Pokemon glitch is arguably not banned, because "the game doesn't clear wild Pokemon data" isn't reading or writing anything, and "the game reads the wrong subtile when generating encounters" happens on literally every step of the game. This is useless in a speedrun though. - Poke Doll on Marowak is not banned, because running from a battle and ending it is intended behavior. "The developers forgetting that there's a way to run without pressing Run" doesn't read or write anything. - Bike Shop keep-instant-text is not banned, because the game turns instant text on and off all the time (whenever the Start menu is opened/closed, for example). "Forgetting to turn it off" doesn't read or write anything.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
HappyLee wrote:
Your tools can be very much useful in other projects like Extra Mario Bros boss fights and Hard Relay Mario, and other games like SMB3
This I'd like to see.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
I think that using Poké Doll to skip Marowak's ghost goes aganist the purpose of the branch of beating all mandatory opponents since it arbitrarily skips the whole Rocket Hideout, not to mention that it can be considered as an actual glitch since this usage is clearly possible due to a development oversight. In fact, this is not allowed for the Any% Glitchless (Classic) RTA branch on speedrun.com. About the entertaining side, I have to say that I disliked the choice of exploiting the red bar due to its annoying noise. Also, I don't like the idea of getting hit just for the sake of saving time, because it breaks the flow. While I appreciate all the efforts put into optimizing everything optimally, included abuse of red bar, I'm not much entertained and I voted Meh. By the way, why did you set Earphone 3 option? There is no mention of it in the submission text.
My interpretation of RBY "glitchless" has always been "no memory corruption", since that conveniently handles unavoidable glitches such as 1/256 miss and Viridian Forest no-encounters oversight. Then using the Poke Doll on Marowak and the (fixed in Yellow) Bike Shop keep-instant-text oversight don't count as memory corruption.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Not sure if this is the right place to post this request, but would it be possible to publish this game under the original title "Kou Dai Yao Guai: Bai Jin Ban", or as something like "Pokemon: Platinum Edition (Bootleg)"? Just saying because it's frustrating to do a search for "Pokemon" looking for main series games, only to encounter bootlegs in the search results whose name is nearly identical to an actual main series game.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Apparently, the ROM is not modified. The emulator is just rigged to set a byte in SRAM after the player has entered the Hall of Fame.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
Fortranm wrote:
Zowayix wrote:
I don't like "no save/reset" for the middle one because save/reset can be used for non-glitch stuff totally unrelated to the void. "Warpless" or "no glitch warps" would be preferred.
Maybe, but "no save/reset" should work for now since I did avoid saving and resetting in that run.
Cross-quoted from the glitchless thread to push that this run's branch name should be "warpless", "no glitch warps", or "no void glitch". It's not that "no save/reset" is actively wrong for the movie, it's that it's not the best branch name: 1) In this movie, the no save/reset isn't fundamentally part of the route; avoiding using the void is. Suppose a future improvement to this movie uses the tweaking glitch, avoids the void glitch, and also performs a save/reset for luck manipulation elsewhere like the glitchless submission does. Isn't it still the same category and could obsolete this movie despite the save/reset? 2) In the fastest movie, the save/reset isn't fundamentally part of the route; the void glitch is. Suppose someone found a void path that could reach the Hall of Fame without saving/resetting. It shouldn't obsolete this movie on the grounds of being no save/reset, should it? 3) For any other game, if I saw three categories "any%", "no X", and "glitchless" from fastest to slowest, I'm going to assume that the fastest movie uses some game-breaking maneuver X, the middle movie avoids X, and the glitchless movie avoids more than just X. It would be very weird to hear that (a) X is not a game-breaking maneuver, and (b) the glitchless movie also performs X. Thoughts?
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
I think all 3 of glitchless/no tweaking, tweaking but no void glitch, and void glitch deserve to be published. Branch names would be up for debate though. (I don't like "no save/reset" for the middle one because save/reset can be used for non-glitch stuff totally unrelated to the void. "Warpless" or "no glitch warps" would be preferred.)
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
It can't be ACE, because once the player has ACE access they can always beat the game instantly.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 483
grassini wrote:
Current projects: GBA Pokémon: Emerald Version "glitchless" [7 Badges] what does 7 badges mean?normal is 8
It probably means that the portion of the game up until the seventh badge is completed.
1 2
19 20