BizHawk Emulator Development


Dimon12321
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Published Author (501)
Joined: 4/5/2014
Posts: 932
Location: Ukraine
Hello everybody! I have some questions about Nintendo 64: How to do neutral reset? What does Bind! and Unbind! buttons in Nintendo 64 Controller configuration - Analog controls? Does it affect the TASing?
TASing is like making a film: only best takes are shown in the final movie.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/7/2008
Posts: 1156
hegyak wrote:
There are some things that I want to be resolved before I will be comfortable saying "This is Good to Go"
Hey, we should probably have a new thread just for this. The "PSX core development/testing thread" It's interesting you listed some things I'm not sure I would have put on the list for the first release. We may have to debate that a bit. I think some of the trickier stuff will probably slow us down more than we'll want, when we could have a release that folks could be using for simpler cases. Of your items, here's what I think: first release can be 1 player dualshock only. But multiple discs must be supported (including movies) and dealing with that savestate annoyance. The memory card sharing could be accomplished right now for casual gaming by managing your files carefully, but I have no clue what this means for movies. Do we need a TAS which has actually multiple games in the queue and boots one game, saves, then boots the next, and loads the same memory?
Editor, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 3/31/2010
Posts: 1466
Location: Not playing Puyo Tetris
zeromus wrote:
hegyak wrote:
There are some things that I want to be resolved before I will be comfortable saying "This is Good to Go"
Hey, we should probably have a new thread just for this. The "PSX core development/testing thread" It's interesting you listed some things I'm not sure I would have put on the list for the first release. We may have to debate that a bit. I think some of the trickier stuff will probably slow us down more than we'll want, when we could have a release that folks could be using for simpler cases. Of your items, here's what I think: first release can be 1 player dualshock only. But multiple discs must be supported (including movies) and dealing with that savestate annoyance. The memory card sharing could be accomplished right now for casual gaming by managing your files carefully, but I have no clue what this means for movies. Do we need a TAS which has actually multiple games in the queue and boots one game, saves, then boots the next, and loads the same memory?
The Controller Switch/more then one is REQUIRED for MGS 1. The Mid Game boss Psycho Mantis is only beatable when the player switches controller ports during the fight. Or they use a second controller. The "Dual Shock or Not" requirement can be dropped. Most players are used to the two stick controller anyway. The PSX came without them initially. It shouldn't effect things if we have it. The memory card stuff is nice but not required. Again, Psycho Mantis will say special lines if a particular save file is recognized when he is encountered. A TAS would flat out skip this since they want to go fast. But a Casual player may like to have this.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/26/2012
Posts: 59
hegyak wrote:
The Controller Switch/more then one is REQUIRED for MGS 1. The Mid Game boss Psycho Mantis is only beatable when the player switches controller ports during the fight. Or they use a second controller.
Well if the only reason to implement this is for MGS 1, then don't do it (unless of course it's just to be a feature and be more complete of an emulator). The sequence break me and my friend found for the game completely skips Psycho Mantis and other bosses so you never have to switch controller. Like maybe if somebody wanted to do a full boss run you would need it but unlikely.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/7/2008
Posts: 1156
hegyak wrote:
The "Dual Shock or Not" requirement can be dropped. Most players are used to the two stick controller anyway. The PSX came without them initially. It shouldn't effect things if we have it.
Uhh we should get this in the other thread, but now's the time to say it: reportedly, which input devices are attached can have substantial impact on the timing of the game. The peripheral IO is kind of slow, and the way its set up you kind of have to wait to read extra data even if you didnt want it? Or something like that. So, bottom line, some elementary TAS may be faster simply for having a different controller attached. This could be verified readily by trying different in mednafen different input configuration options for known problem cases or high profile games. You shouldnt have to play very far before observing a discrepancy. If we get hard data that indicates this is a problem, we may be forced to handle the input configurability early on.
Editor, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 3/31/2010
Posts: 1466
Location: Not playing Puyo Tetris
TheThrillness wrote:
hegyak wrote:
The Controller Switch/more then one is REQUIRED for MGS 1. The Mid Game boss Psycho Mantis is only beatable when the player switches controller ports during the fight. Or they use a second controller.
Well if the only reason to implement this is for MGS 1, then don't do it (unless of course it's just to be a feature and be more complete of an emulator). The sequence break me and my friend found for the game completely skips Psycho Mantis and other bosses so you never have to switch controller. Like maybe if somebody wanted to do a full boss run you would need it but unlikely.
The thing is, BizHawk is for ALL users. Not just TAS/Speedrunners. So we need to at least support two controllers (one in each port).
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/12/2013
Posts: 17
Does anyone know why my RAM watchlist that I made with Bizhawk 1.8.1 does not work for any later versions, but it works just fine with the versions before 1.8.1? If it is relevant, these are all for N64 games. Also my lua script does not work on any versions after 1.8.1, and all it does is display the memory address directly. I am certain there is no mistake in the script because it works just fine with all the other versions. Are the memory addresses somehow all different now for some reason? That would be very inconvenient if true because I have several hundred memory addresses saved on my watchlists for multiple games. EDIT: It looks like all the values I have re-found were shifted by two from the spot they were originally. Also, freezing my position value in RAM watch appears to do absolutely nothing? Poking the value stilll moves my character, but freezing does not lock me in place anymore.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/7/2008
Posts: 1156
If it were true, you could text-edit your watch file.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/12/2013
Posts: 17
zeromus wrote:
If it were true, you could text-edit your watch file.
Well some of the values shifted forward two spaces, some backwards for some odd reason. I would have to find every value from scratch regardless. EDIT: Ah I found out what happened, N64Hawk changed to Big Endian at 1.8.2/3. That's what is causing my trouble.
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 11/12/2013
Posts: 17
Along with freezing not working, when I search for values "less than" specific value "0" when searching for signed integers, the N64 RAM search eliminates every single address including those with negative values. Not sure what is up with that.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/7/2008
Posts: 1156
Bugs like that have existed. You should expect to experience them if youre using old versions.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Published Author, Site Admin (4250)
Joined: 11/3/2004
Posts: 4656
Location: Tennessee
TASer of 2010NES TASer of 2010DS TASer of 2010Arcade TAS of 2010NES TASer of 2008NES TAS of 2008Funny TAS of 2008TASer of 2007NES TASer of 2007Funny TAS of 2007
Graviton wrote:
Along with freezing not working, when I search for values "less than" specific value "0" when searching for signed integers, the N64 RAM search eliminates every single address including those with negative values. Not sure what is up with that.
These are bugs. Please report them here This thread isn't appropriate for this. The bug reporting thread is more appropriate for that. But always post on the issue tracker if you want assurance people will see it and deal with it.
Pimpin' ain't easy My Homepage My TAS projects
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 4/22/2014
Posts: 59
Location: United Kingdom
I'm so hyped. I would love to play PSX games with the rewinding feature of Bizhawk! ePSXe only had save states, and you couldn't even rebind any of the emulator keys except for controllers. Does it play PAL games, though? I have several PAL discs I would like to play again such as Mega Man 8, Mega Man Legends and Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer.
Editor, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 3/31/2010
Posts: 1466
Location: Not playing Puyo Tetris
Beed28 wrote:
I'm so hyped. I would love to play PSX games with the rewinding feature of Bizhawk! ePSXe only had save states, and you couldn't even rebind any of the emulator keys except for controllers. Does it play PAL games, though? I have several PAL discs I would like to play again such as Mega Man 8, Mega Man Legends and Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer.
Please use this thread: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16162 for PSX things. I personally haven't tested PAL stuff much. Feel free to do it and report.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Published Author (501)
Joined: 4/5/2014
Posts: 932
Location: Ukraine
Graviton wrote:
Also my lua script does not work on any versions after 1.8.1, and all it does is display the memory address directly. I am certain there is no mistake in the script because it works just fine with all the other versions.
Pardon my appearance, but I didn't find any defects in your script! Using Bizhawk 1.9.1 Screenshot is your PM!
TASing is like making a film: only best takes are shown in the final movie.
Experienced Forum User, Published Author (1412)
Joined: 10/12/2011
Posts: 5898
Location: The land down under.
PSX TASer of 2016
Oh, there's something that's cute which has been in BizHawk for quite some time now.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. These colours are pretty neato, and also these.
Experienced Forum User, Published Author, Senior Judge, Senior Publisher (1423)
Joined: 4/17/2010
Posts: 10321
Location: RU
NES TAS of 2011
When resizing EmuHawk window, maximum emulation speed dramatically changes, by 2x as well. Is it known/intended?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting. If TASing is meta-play, TASVideos Movie Rules are meta-meta-play!
Editor, Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/7/2008
Posts: 1156
yes, it's known/intended for users using gdi+ display mode on recent builds. if it happens while youre using opengl then you have a really bad video card
Experienced Forum User, Published Author, Senior Judge, Senior Publisher (1423)
Joined: 4/17/2010
Posts: 10321
Location: RU
NES TAS of 2011
Is there a manual option to switch between them?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting. If TASing is meta-play, TASVideos Movie Rules are meta-meta-play!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Published Author, Site Admin (4250)
Joined: 11/3/2004
Posts: 4656
Location: Tennessee
TASer of 2010NES TASer of 2010DS TASer of 2010Arcade TAS of 2010NES TASer of 2008NES TAS of 2008Funny TAS of 2008TASer of 2007NES TASer of 2007Funny TAS of 2007
if you are using gdi+ it is because you couldn't use opengl, why would you want to switch to the "crash my emulator" option?
Pimpin' ain't easy My Homepage My TAS projects
Experienced Forum User, Published Author, Senior Judge, Senior Publisher (1423)
Joined: 4/17/2010
Posts: 10321
Location: RU
NES TAS of 2011
So it's some version newer than 2.1 (yes, it's how old mine is)?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting. If TASing is meta-play, TASVideos Movie Rules are meta-meta-play!
Editor, Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/7/2008
Posts: 1156
it's hidden deviously in config > display > display method. we recently added an opengl version check for 2.0, maybe i messed up and it dropped you back to gdi+. it seems some video cards return nonsense for their version number. par for the course for opengl.. looks like GL < 3 is not required to return GL_MAJOR_VERSION. Therefore we're supposed to parse a stupid version string instead. I did that in r8589 so maybe this wont happen again.
Experienced Forum User, Published Author, Senior Judge, Senior Publisher (1423)
Joined: 4/17/2010
Posts: 10321
Location: RU
NES TAS of 2011
Tested with GPGX. GDI+: 35 fps @ 3x, 45 fps @ 2x. OGL: 40 fps @ 3x, 85 fps @ 2x. And yes, the option didn't exist in the latest release.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting. If TASing is meta-play, TASVideos Movie Rules are meta-meta-play!
Editor, Emulator Coder, Experienced Forum User
Joined: 8/7/2008
Posts: 1156
well, sorry, you have a sucky gpu if it can't scale the window without slowing down. maybe youre running multi-monitor and putting the window on the wrong monitor for the gpu youre using
dekutony
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Published Author (802)
Joined: 11/23/2013
Posts: 2117
Location: Guatemala
Is the new version coming out on Christmas?
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony