#5860: TiKevin83's GBC Pokémon: Yellow Version in 1:36:41.68

Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a thorough explanation of the strategy behind my Pokemon Yellow Any% Glitchless TAS in 1:36:41 (346,519 VBlank frames), which you can watch at the following link.

Setup:

The TAS was originally done in BizHawk on a development branch of 2.2.1 that has patches which make its emulation accurate enough to be verifiable on the Game Boy Player console. I have since finalized it in 2.2.2 and confirmed that the TAS runs identically in the official 2.2.2 release. The choice to use specifically GBA as the emulated platform instead of GBC is due to the use of the Game Boy Player by the RTA Pokemon Speedrunning community, which has the same manip behavior as the GBA and GBA SP. The TAS community would typically recommend running a GBC game on original GBC hardware emulation, but the ability to do a console verification of an input file made on GBA/GBP emulation combined with the standard in the RTA community tipped my hand towards building the input file for GBA/GBP. Because BizHawk 2.2.2 is verified to have exact console accuracy in GBA mode, this TAS should be playable on any newer versions as long as there are no regressions with accurate emulation.
I used a gbc_bios.bin for the GBC firmware and set CGB in GBA to True for GBP verification purposes.

Legend:

Frame = The smallest unit of time that can be observed realistically in emulation. The game accepts some inputs on every frame (for example in nickname menus), some (in the overworld) every other frame, and some (primarily in textboxes) every 3 frames. GB/GBC games play back at approximately 59.7275 Frames Per Second.
FAF = First Actionable Frame (the first frame where an input is useful for advancing gameplay)
PrintLetterDelay = The use of mashing during textboxes to cause differences in frame and CPU cycle counts and in turn advance the RNG or manipulate the timing of an input window.
Red Bar = The sound effect and HP bar color change caused if ((Current HP * 48 / Max HP) < 10). Being in red bar cancels level up jingles when in trainer battles (worth 2.5 seconds per level up) cancels death cries (40 frames per death) and cancels text box clear jingles (timesave unknown, around a frame per clear).
Also, notably being in Red Bar removes lag from a different jingle that plays when a move is super effective or not very effective. At face value, using a move with a shake animation is ~55 frames faster than a move with a flash animation. This drops to 27 frames for super effective shakes vs normal flashes and 10 frames faster for not very effective shakes vs normal flashes. However, the lag reduction from red bar makes a red bar NVE shake 26 frames faster than a normal flash animation, and a red bar super effective shake 34 frames faster. On top of this, the act of changing moves typically loses 7 frames, making shake animation moves of any kind at least 12 frames faster than flash animation moves for the purpose of this TAS (19 frames if you don't have to swap back to using the flash move). You also have to account for the length of a move name for exact timings, but that is not relevant to the decision making process. Good examples of the use of this optimization are Double Kick shakes on the Route 3 Ekans and the 2nd Route 3 Metapod.
Color lag = The lag caused changes by colors in Pokemon Yellow. Likely due to some flaw in the way that colors were hacked into the Pokemon Red engine to make Pokemon Yellow, color changes often cause lag. This can be seen most clearly in a stutter that occurs on map transitions (for instance between Route 1 and Viridian City). It also happens when the HP bars change color in battle and when a Pokemon is sent into battle in Red or Yellow bar, because the HP bar color is assumed to be green and then updated to Red or Yellow when the game notices that the poke is at lower HP. The value of Red Bar jingle skips far outweighs the time lost to the color lag from the HP bar. A good example of how we optimize for this is as Brock, where we intentionally low roll our first Double Kick on Onix in order to prevent hitting it into Red Bar with the 2nd use of Double Kick.
Gen 1 Miss = An oversight in the code for the accuracy check causes moves with 100% accuracy to still have a 1 in 256 chance to miss/fail. This means that we can cause an enemy to miss even if they're locked into using a theoretically deadly move, or miss our own moves if we need to.
DSUM = A label for the predictable outcomes caused by deterministic behavior of the random number generator. This behavior leads to an encounter cycle which constantly loops through the ten encounter slots in order.
Consecutive Input Delay = In Pokemon Yellow, if you press a button it needs to be released for a frame in order for it to be pressed again, otherwise the game will just see the button as being held the whole time. This can be counteracted via a trick to reapply the relevant button press. The key is to press a different button (typically a directional button) on the same frame that you want to press the initial button again, it will register a 2nd press of the initial button and not a hold of the initial button. This is done when a directional input is used to reapply B while exiting shops (which can be done in RTA) and to reapply up/down in the fly menu and item bag. The trick is also useful when B reapplies A to get on the Bike (also used in RTA), to deposit Pikachu (not useful in RTA), and to throw a poke ball from slot 1 (used in RTA). In general it could be used to select any slot 1 bag item in the overworld or in battle, but the relevant ones are the poke ball throws and the bike.
Ranges = The damage formula in Pokemon Gen 1 is modified by a random number, rerolled until it lands between 217 and 255 inclusive. The move is multiplied by this number and divided by 255 to obtain a range of possible damage between ~85% and 100%. Because we manipulate random number generation, we can manipulate these damage ranges to our liking. Also, because of the way much of the 8 bit math rounds down calculations, the full calculated damage is only a 1/39 chance (217 to 255 inclusive is 39 possible rolls).
Glitchless = the category this TAS was written for. I followed the RTA Pokemon Speedrunning community's ruleset for Glitchless, so while arbitrary code execution glitches like Brock Through Walls and Trainer Fly are disallowed, certain glitches that are not avoidable in RTA such as Gen 1 Misses are allowed, as well as oversights such as using Poke Doll on the Marowak ghost in Lavender Tower. This ruleset is uncontroversial in the RTA community at this point.
Note: This TAS is a rewrite of my previous TAS in 1:37:21, which succeeded in saving 40 seconds from that TAS. There are no known previous TASes of Yellow ENG Glitchless in any ruleset. There is a somewhat improvable TAS of the JPN release, whose times are not easily comparable due to the text differences and (more importantly) the game does not have colors like the ENG release, meaning that it has no color lag. As there were no TASes of the ENG game prior to these two, the main goal was to establish a very competitive baseline for TASes of this game and category.
Here's a link to the old JPN cart TAS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l01wqxsPHB4

Route:

Intro Sequence

The TAS begins by pressing Start, A, and Start on FAF for 2 segments of the intro cutscene and the title screen with Pikachu. This strategy is borrowed from RTA manips; each input can be buffered for several seconds but the TAS can just press the relevant button on FAF. We then press down and then Left+A when opening the options menu. This executes "fast options," a trick where all of the options are set simultaneously because the Left press from opening the options menu is reapplied repeatedly as the game loops to display each of the options. This trick also works with right instead of left, but left sets the options we need for the run. Because the options are set instantly, you can press B on FAF once the options open and proceed to starting a new game. In general in the run I use the B button to clear text boxes so that I don't forget to use it to clear end of paragraph text boxes, which can be cleared faster with B. The end of paragraph text boxes are notable by their lack of a jingle when cleared. The key with the intro sequence is to then use A to choose to set your own name and then pick a single character name and press start on the following frame. The same is done for the rival.

Rival 1

Technically, we could save a few frames by setting the options in a separate menu once the game loads, but not doing so led to some extremely fortunate early RNG with Gen 1 Misses and the NidoranM encounter timing and DVs. After obtaining Pikachu (whose stats can be manipulated by changing the walk path to the catch grass or delaying frames before talking to oak to receive it), we lose to rival 1 in 2 turns. The fight involves an 18 HP Pikachu gen 1 missing growl and Eevee critting tackle for 9, then Pikachu gen 1 missing growl again and Eevee critting tackle again. We choose to gen 1 miss Growl instead of Thundershock because the "but it failed" text is so much faster than the "Pikachu's thundershock missed" text. The necessary RNG for this rare fight can be found with relatively little delay because of the number of combinations of delay possible. You can vary walk paths that obtain 18 HP pikachus, vary delays before opening the fight menu, delay the down or up press to get to growl, and delay selecting growl. You can also introduce PrintLetterDelay, most crucially on the "Pikachu used Growl" box to look for gen 1 misses and independently on the "Eevee used Tackle" box to look for 9 damage crits.

Route 1

We manipulate no encounters by varying the walk path and if necessary using an A press to cause the game to delay 2 frames checking if there's something to pick up or an NPC to talk to. We also use these tricks to manipulate the goalie NPC leaving room for us to walk up to viridian optimally. We get the parcel and walk back down the right side through the grass because we know we can manipulate away the encounters and this reduces ledge hops, which lose 8 frames. We talk to oak from behind to move Pikachu out of the Rival's way and manipulate route 1 encounters again.

Viridian Shop

We buy 4 poke balls in Viridian in the TAS: 1 for Nido, 1 for a flyer, 1 for L8 sandshrew on route 3 in red bar (which we end up not getting, but the 2 frames lost for the 4th ball is nearly irrelevant in comparison to the value of being able to catch one if in red bar at that time), and 1 for bag space (the extra for bag space is extremely crucial). After buying the balls, we press B and then reapply it with a direction+B to begin leaving the shop, then press B 2 more times to finish leaving. After exiting the shop we advance through the catch tutorial.

Nido catch

We use a series of specific walk paths into a pause in the route 3 grass to manipulate an L6 Male Nido with stats F6EE (in hexadecimal). F attack is necessary for ranges, low+even defense is helpful for red bar in the forest and after Misty, E speed is necessary, and E/F special is necessary for damage ranges (both give fine HP but E is even so slightly lower HP which is better). After encountering the Nido, the catch is done optimally with down->A to open items->B+A to reapply A and throw the ball.
It is one of the great miracles of this TAS that the DSUM cycle happens to allow for an L6 NidoranM with such a short wait and with an optimal walk path from Viridian. It is pure coincidence that losing the Rival 1 fight with 2 growl gen 1 misses and 2 tackle crits leads to the DSUM cycle being set up perfectly, when we could theoretically have needed to waste as much as 10 seconds just to shift the encounter cycle or find a way to shift the cycle without losing time.

Viridian Forest

We manipulate encountering a Pidgeotto with specific stats in the forest and take extra Yolo grass which is only viable in a TAS. The stats we get are E2E3, mostly even for low HP DV and with high attack to give Nido red bar immediately and low special to help pikachu's crit damage. The optimal fight to find is a Sand Attack fail from Pidgeotto, a T-shock crit for 14, another sand attack fail, a t-shock crit for 13, Pidgeotto gust crit to kill Pikachu, swap in Nidoran, Pidgeotto gust max roll crit for 21 to put Nido to 1 HP, then Nido Tackle hit. In the current TAS I was not able to find a 1/39 14 damage crit from one of the pikachu hits into a sand attack miss or a 1/39 tackle, so I crit the Nido Tackle to finish the kill.
On Bug Catcher 2 we swap Horn Attack to slot 1 immediately because Leer is useless in the TAS and then Horn Attack into a 4 damage tackle to set up perfect HP for Red Bar L9 and L10 and to survive Diglett's scratch in Brock's gym. We intentionally avoid critting Caterpie on turn 1 to avoid color lag and the 2nd Horn Attack crits for a kill. on Metapod we crit Horn Attack into String Shot Fail (maintaining Green bar on Metapod). On any of the early fights where we can't kill a Metapod or Caterpie, String Shot fails are the fastest thing that the opponent can do, and they're pretty easy to find because enemies have a 1 in 4 chance to miss stat/stage modifying moves against you. We then crit Horn Attack again putting Metapod into red bar and get string shot fail again and finish with non-crit Tackle to save a Horn Attack, which is useful in Mt Moon.
After Bug Catcher 2 we're in Red Bar so we can catch a pidgey if we see one using the same tricks as with the Nido catch, either here or after bug catcher 3 works.
On Bug Catcher 3, we crit Horn Attack twice and get String Shot fail from Caterpie.

Brock's Gym

On Light Year guy we take Scratch to 1 HP from Diglett, then get a high roll Horn Attack crit into Sandshrew gen 1 missing Scratch into a 1/39 horn attack crit. This is probably the hardest series of RNG to set up, as those three events alone are about a 1 in 400,000 chance to happen together.
At Brock, we 1/39 non-crit the Geodude with Double Kick into a tackle Miss, allowing us to finish with a single Double Kick non-crit shake (Double Kick is much slower if both shakes hit). On Onix we manipulate Bide into a Double Kick min roll crit. The min roll is necessary to avoid hitting Onix into red bar and causing extra color lag.

Route 3:

We 1/39 crit the first Caterpie and skip red barring L14 because it's slightly faster to not lose a full turn taking Caterpie damage and instead get quick attacked by the next Rattata, additionally this lets us not get crit by Grimer's Pound in Mt Moon. We also crit Horn Attack to kill Weedle and the 2nd Caterpie.
At Shorts guy we get quick attacked back to 1 HP and high roll crit Double Kick on Rattata for the 1 shake. On Ekans we high roll crit Horn Attack into a Leer fail (same 1/4 to fail as String Shot earlier on the Metapod and Caterpie) into finishing with a Double Kick.
We fight the bottom Bug Catcher instead of Lass because we can guarantee Kakuna crit, Caterpie 1/39 roll, and Metapod Crit, making the 4 poke fight faster than exiting the route and resetting the trainer positions to be able to fight the 2 poke trainer. On the last Bug Catcher, we crit the first Caterpie with Horn Attack and then get a 1/39 critical on the Metapod. It would technically be faster here if we would also manip Metapod gen 1 missing Harden. We then finish with Double Kick.
After evolving to Nidorino, we barely are not in Red Bar. This means that there is no way to catch an L8 Sandshrew in red bar without losing a turn to one of the fights in order to take damage, and therefore getting Charmander as our slave for Dig, Cut, and Strength is faster even though you have to overwrite moves on Charmander. Coincidentally, the DSUM also is in a reasonable part of the cycle to get an L8 Sandshrew somewhere along route 3 if in the future one were to find a way to get red bar for the catch without losing too much time.

Mt Moon

We manipulate no encounters through Mt Moon and skip getting the usual Rare Candy that RTA gets because the experience does not save enough time. Another rewrite might evolve to Nidoking before the Super Nerd, but the fight improvements are offset by Nidoking's much longer cry for 2 fights and the difficulty of regaining Red Bar.
At Super Nerd, we hit Grimer with a tackle on the first turn to avoid color lag, then kill it with a crit Horn Attack. We then crit Voltorb with Horn Attack and crit Koffing turn 1, because the color lag is faster than swapping to Tackle and back (you have to switch back to Horn Attack anyway when you Tackle Grimer).
At Jessie and James, we crit Ekans with Horn Attack and crit Meowth with Double Kick, then we hit Koffing with our Horn Attack that we saved from Tackling Metapod and don't crit it the first turn to avoid color lag. On turn 2 we crit Horn Attack to kill while still avoiding the color lag.

Cerulean City

In Cerulean we deposit Pikachu and center before Misty to set up a warp point for Dig in Cerulean and maximize red bar potential. We fight Misty before going to Nugget Bridge so that we can use Bubblebeam, which has a shake animation and makes our fights much faster as a result, and all those hits can be in red bar since we can regain it from the Misty battle. It also lets us kill Sandshrew and Onix in 1 turn without crits. On the way to Cerulean we walk in a specific path to manipulate good movement from the NPCs so that we can get to the PC efficiently, then we deposit Pikachu and use A->B+A to avoid consecutive input lag on the deposit. When leaving the PC we use B to leave because it lets us cancel some PC jingles. We hold B during textboxes when using the center to speed up their display.

Misty Gym

Immediately upon entering Misty's Gym, we evolve to Nidoking so that we aren't prompted to learn Poison Sting.
We hit Goldeen with a non-crit Horn Attack to avoid color lag, get Tail Whip fail from Goldeen, then crit Horn Attack on turn 2. On Misty we crit Staryu and get hit by Water Gun to set up our HP for Starmie, then Double Kick Staryu to finish the kill. On Starmie, we get hit by Bubblebeam turn 1 to 1 HP to set up red bar for Nugget Bridge, then we crit Horn Attack, then we get a Water Gun gen 1 miss, then we crit Horn Attack again, then we get Harden (easier to find than a 2nd gen 1 miss) into a final Horn Attack crit. If you get multiple nearly perfect HA crit ranges you can finish Starmie with a Double Kick critical (even through Harden because the crit ignores the Harden).
After Misty we menu immediately to eliminate any extra turn frames while leaving the gym and teach Bubblebeam to Nidoking over Horn Attack. To get to Bubblebeam you can use a sequence of left and right presses to repeatedly eliminate consecutive input lag when pressing down to get to bubblebeam. This technique is extremely useful for slots 3-4 (to the point that very experienced runners could benefit from it in RTA) and the TAS can continue to do it perfectly for any slot, eliminating the item menu windup time.

Nugget Bridge

We skip the Cerulean Rare Candy because its experience is nearly useless then head to Nugget Bridge. We crit Spearow with Bubblebeam at Bridge Rival, then a normal Bubblebeam on Sandshrew and Rattata, then a 1/39 crit Double Kick on Eevee for a single shake animation.
Nugget 1's Caterpie and Weedle both die to non-crit Bubblebeam
Nugget 2's Pidgey and NidoranF both die to crit Bubblebeam
On Nugget 3 we get Quick Attack crit back to 1 HP to set up optimal HP for Raticate hitting us to guaranteed Red Bar through the heal pad, then we hit Rattata with a non-crit bubblebeam to kill. Ekans and Zubat both die to crit Bubblebeam.
Nugget 4: Pidgey and NidoranF both die to crit Bubblebeam
Nugget 5: Mankey dies to crit Bubblebeam, then we teach Thrash over Tackle in slot 2
Rocket: Thrash

Route before Bill

We get Charmander and nickname him a 1 character name to save about 1.5 seconds, primarily because of the Strength uses in Victory Road.
Hiker: Bubblebeam
Girlfriend+Boyfriend: We would use Bubblebeam to kill these pokes and avoid the Thrash windup, but Bubblebeam PP is too tight so we just use Thrash.
Lass: Thrash
Get the Ether after the Lass to help fill the bag and to restore Horn Drill PP later
Bill: clear the cutscene textboxes with Bill to get the SS Ticket

Surge Split

Non-crit Thrash kills Machop and Drowzee so we can get Dig. We get the fast Full Restore in the underground to help fill the bag. Then we Thrash the 3 Pidgeys and the Spearow+Raticate fight. At Raticate we manip getting hit to exactly 2 HP to maintain perfect red bar through the heal pad in Lavender Tower. At the SS Anne Rival we manip a 4 turn thrash that only crits the Sandshrew and clears an Eevee range naturally. We then get Cut and leave the boat. We exit the boat on a frame that sets the first can in Surge's gym to be can 4, which is up the middle cans and can have a 2nd can also in the middle row. We then walk to the bush in front of Surge's gym and menu to teach Cut to Charmander and then teach Dig over his first move, using left and right again to reapply up and down inputs when moving around the item bag. Because we've already started picking up extraneous items to fill the bag, it's faster to teach cut before dig and take the timeloss from using cut in slot 2.
In Surge's gym we pick can 4 which we know is the first can from manipping it while exiting the boat. We pick the can on a frame which also manips can 7 to be the 2nd can, conveniently right next to where we're standing.
Surge: An optimal fight would be Growl Fail->Thrash non-crit->Growl Fail->Thrash non-crit, but we took a thunderbolt miss on the 2nd Raichu turn because the delay I was finding to manip the 2nd Growl fail was taking longer than just accepting a Thunderbolt whiff. After Surge we get the Bike Voucher and Dig back to Cerulean.
At Surge during this TAS I discovered that causing PrintLetterDelay during end of paragraph text boxes can lead to clearing them sooner. I do not know why, but it likely has something to do with aligning the end of the text box with an earlier 3 frame clear window.

Fly Split:

We manip good RNG from the NPC in the bike shop and get the bicycle. Then outside the shop we swap up the bike and teach Thunderbolt in Slot 4. We hold B through the cut animations to clear their text boxes frame perfectly.
4 Turn Thrash: We manip a 4 Turn Thrash fight that actually lasts 4 turns and has no useless crits. We then manipulate no useless crits on the Venonat trainer including a good Thrash range on Venonat. In Rock Tunnel we have to manipulate away encounters while progressing through to each fight. We swap bubblebeam to slot 1 on Cubone because we want to teach Horn Drill in Slot 1 and not overwrite Thrash, then we use Bubblebeam on cubone and Thunderbolt on Slowpoke. We Thunderbolt the lone Slowpoke again and then get good Thrash ranges on Oddish and Bulbasaur. At the hiker, we previously copied a strat from an old JPN TAS which manipulated the Geodudes and the Graveler into gen 1 missing Selfdestruct, which eliminates animating their HP Bar as it drops. It turned out the amount of text this strat involves in ENG, combined with the problem of manipulating 3 gen 1 misses in quick succession, made the strat much slower than just using 3 Bubblebeams, to the extent that it was more valuable to use them here than to cancel Thrash windups in other places. After the hiker we Thrash the final Lass, avoiding Quick Attacks since our HP is already set up for red bar through the heal pad. After rock tunnel, we get the Max Ether hidden in a tree to fill up bag space and fill up PP while dropping an item before Giovanni. At the Gambler, we use Bubblebeam on the Growlithe and Thunderbolt Crit on the Vulpix to avoid a Thrash windup.
In the underground, we get the Elixer while facing it from the top in order to avoid turning in the following building. In the Underground we also have the first example of reapplying A to get on the Bicycle a frame faster by avoiding consecutive input lag.

Shopping

In the Celadon shop: 2x TM07, 2x Poke Doll, Fresh Water, 7 X Speed (all shops using a direction to reapply B while leaving and using a direction to reapply down presses getting to the items)
Bike everywhere up to the Fly house
Outside the fly house, swap slot 2 with Poke Doll, teach fly, teach HD over BB, use Fly (in the Fly menu, you can reapply down presses a frame faster by using left or right presses on alternating FAF down presses).
HD, Thrash, Leer, TB moves at tower

Lavender tower: Don't forget to manip away encounters here

Rival: HD x5
Gastlies: TB
J&J: HD x3
Fly to Celadon, Center, go to the Safari Zone (center is fine because we just lost red bar from the heal pad anyway)
Swap Poke Doll in slot 2 with X Speeds in front of Snorlax, then use Poke Flute
Manip away encounters in the Safari Zone while getting HM03 and the Gold Teeth. This should fill the last bag slots so that we do not receive unnecessary TMs from gym leaders.

Koga Gym:

Dig out of the Safari Zone and then fly to Koga.
Juggler: Thrash crit->crit->non-crit->crit
Juggler 2: Thrash non-crit->Confusion crit->Thrashcrit (get 3 HP redbar off hypno confusion crit)
Koga: X Speed->4x Horn Drill
Get strength after Koga's gym

Cinnabar Mansion:

Fly to Pallet, manip the NPC to walk out of your way while you go to the water (you really have to manip this before the Fly to make it work right), Use Ether on Horn Drill, then teach Surf over Nidoking's Leer in slot 3 since it will be used only once. We can go to the mansion this early because we can manip away encounters regardless of Nidoking's level, whereas RTA needs to outlevel encounters in order to avoid them with Super Repels.
Mansion: Blizz over Thrash (HD, Blizz, Surf, TB), use this menu as part of encounterless manip. After getting the Secret Key, dig out of the Mansion and bike to Erika's gym.

Erika's Gym:

Exeggcute: Blizz
Erika: Blizz, Blizz, Blizz
After Erika, cut the bush below Erika, leave the gym, and fly to Blaine.

Blaine's Gym:

Answer the questions ABBBAB
Blaine: X Speed, Tail Whip fail, HD x3
Dig out of Blaine's Gym and bike to Silph

Silph:

Walk to floor 5 and get the hidden Elixer there (this one is faster to get than the Lavender Tower hidden Elixer, also walking to floor 5 is faster than taking the elevator)
Arbok: HD
Rival: Blizz, HD, Elixer->Ember to 1 HP->Surf, HD, HD
J&J: Blizz Crit, TB Crit, TB
Giovanni: TB Crit x2->Blizz x2
Dig out, bike to Sabrina, X Speed->HD x3
Dig out of Sabrina, then Fly to Viridian

Giovanni Gym:

Use Ether on Horn Drill then bike to the Giovanni gym
Cooltrainer: Blizz
Blackbelt: TB crit x3
Exit and re-enter the building to reset the Blackbelt's location
Giovanni: X Speed, Guard Spec, HD x5

Viridian Rival

Teach strength to Charmander, teach fissure over tbolt, bike to Viridian Rival
Rival: Blizz, Fissure, X Speed->QA->Fissure x4
We set up X Speed on Ninetales to let it damage us slightly and maintain red bar through the first Gengar at Agatha and also outspeed Viridian Rival's Kadabra

Victory road:

Use Charmander's Strength to execute the boulder puzzles, but do swag boulders instead of A presses to manipulate encounters away because it looks cooler and loses the same amount of time
When you get back on the bike after falling through the boulder hole, use Elixer then get back on the bike
- Should have only 1 Elixer at this point

E4

Moves: Drill, Blizz, Surf, Fissure
At the E4, deposit Pidgey and Charmander
- Lorelei: drill, drill, drill, fissure, fissure
- Bruno: blizz, blizz crit, blizz crit, blizz, drill
- Agatha: x speed -> lick no para, fissure, blizz crit, fissure, drill, fissure
After Agatha, we menu immediately and use the last Elixer. This lets us leave Agatha's room faster because the gates open as we exit the menu. Then, we do not have to give Gyarados a turn while he misses Hydro Pump
- Lance: drill, fissure, fissure, hyper miss -> blizz, blizz crit
- Champ: drill, x speed -> Kinesis fail, drill, drill, drill, fissure, fissure.

ThunderAxe31: Judging.
ThunderAxe31: Welcome to TASVideos, TiKevin83!
It's been more than ten years from the last time a similar movie has been submitted to the site. Since then, many runs that make use of game-breaking glitches were published, overshadowing runs that don't. As a result, there is currently no active branch applicable for this movie. However, this doesn't mean that the branch is dead: providing that all the required conditions are met, the branch can be restored and this movie can be published.
The first requirement is clear goals. While this movie appears to follow an arbitrary ruleset at the first glance, it must be noted that it fits nicely into the "Forgoes memory corruption" category, which is a sensible condition that excludes possible controversy.
The second requirement is featuring unique TAS content compared to the other branches. Counting all Pokémon Gen I games, we currently have 5 active branches: "SRAM glitch", "warp glitch", "Gotta Catch 'Em All!", "arbitrary code execution", and "Coop Diploma". Despite the amount, none of these feature much redaundant content compared to the submitted movie. Also, the goal for this movie counts as the trunk, that is the basic branch from which all other branches are derived, hence the decision to leave a blank label.
Apart from the branch matter, the movie also has to adhere to the Moons tier standards. For what concerns technical quality, there are no doubt that there has been put a lot of thought behind its making, resulting in more than enough route planning and fights optimization needed for typical Pokémon TASes. And on the other hand the entertaining quality is also high; the red bar has been appreciated since it adds more challenge to the optimization and breaks the audio funnily.
With all that said, accepting for Moons as a new branch.
Spikestuff: Publishing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Experienced Forum User, Moderator
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 11822
Location: 127.0.0.1
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5860: TiKevin83's GBC Pokémon: Yellow Version in 1:36:41.68
Experienced Forum User, Published Author (1412)
Joined: 10/12/2011
Posts: 5898
Location: The land down under.
PSX TASer of 2016
Reading the setup Thank you for the more extended version of an explanation that gifvex's Blue didn't write. ...Also this means we're going to have a few GB/C Pokemon TASes coming out within this week aren't we? I'm going to have a fun time publishing all this Pokemon! (Will vote after watching this.)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. These colours are pretty neato, and also these.
TiKevin83
He/Him
Ambassador, Experienced Forum User, Moderator, Published Author, Site Developer (164)
Joined: 3/17/2018
Posts: 302
Location: Holland, MI
Rookie of 2018Gameboy TASer of 2018Gameboy TAS of 2018
Thanks Spikestuff, I don't know of any others who have done Pokemon TASes lately, but there are other ideas, especially for a proper Yellow NSC TAS!
ThunderAxe31
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Judge, Moderator, Published Author (1258)
Joined: 9/12/2016
Posts: 1461
Location: Southern Italy
Gameboy TASer of 2017
I think that using Poké Doll to skip Marowak's ghost goes aganist the purpose of the branch of beating all mandatory opponents since it arbitrarily skips the whole Rocket Hideout, not to mention that it can be considered as an actual glitch since this usage is clearly possible due to a development oversight. In fact, this is not allowed for the Any% Glitchless (Classic) RTA branch on speedrun.com. About the entertaining side, I have to say that I disliked the choice of exploiting the red bar due to its annoying noise. Also, I don't like the idea of getting hit just for the sake of saving time, because it breaks the flow. While I appreciate all the efforts put into optimizing everything optimally, included abuse of red bar, I'm not much entertained and I voted Meh. By the way, why did you set Earphone 3 option? There is no mention of it in the submission text.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: ThunderAxe31#1512 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
TiKevin83
He/Him
Ambassador, Experienced Forum User, Moderator, Published Author, Site Developer (164)
Joined: 3/17/2018
Posts: 302
Location: Holland, MI
Rookie of 2018Gameboy TASer of 2018Gameboy TAS of 2018
Hi Thunderaxe, Thanks for your input! For your first point I will refer to my Legend entry on Glitchless. The use of Poke Doll on Marowak in glitchless Pokemon speedrunning has been uncontroversial for years in the RTA community, and we only recently split glitchless and glitchless (classic) as a means of integrating the SRC leaderboard with the JPN cart community's leaderboard. The easiest way of explaining the category difference is that "glitchless" allows S+Q (not relevant for TAS) and allows exploiting oversights that cannot lead to ACE (like Poke Doll on Marowak) whereas "glitchless classic" disallows an arbitrary set of non-ACE-causing glitches to experience more of the storyline. In my opinion, the glitchless category is actually less arbitrary because it is much easier to draw a line as to what causes ACE vs what is an essential part of the story. For example, why does classic not require you to go catch Mewtwo after the Elite 4? It's clearly a major story element as seen in Pokemon Origins. In any event, this is a TAS of glitchless, not glitchless classic, so poke doll is not used here. I might TAS classic some time, but it requires rewriting from about Ether on. Not getting red bar would lose probably ~4 minutes between lvl up jingles, learning Thrash in red bar, enemy death cry skips, and text box jingle skips. If I refrained from taking advantage of it in the interest of entertainment, it would be trivial to use it to improve on this TAS. Also, the vast majority of comments from YouTube, Discord, Twitter, etc. have found the frequent crafting to survive at 1HP very entertaining. About Earphone3: in early January I discovered a trick called "fast options" where pressing left or right on the same frame as A to enter the options menu, both at the new game screen and in-game, causes the left or right press to apply to every option as they load without causing any timeloss. Conveniently, The left press sets every option we need for the run, though it extraneously sets Earphone3. Because the sound settings do not change any frame timings later in the run, it's safe to leave it on instead of losing frames taking time to scroll down and set it back to mono. Also, Earphone3 down mixed to Mono in post production sounds the same as the game's Mono output, so I just downmixed to Mono for entertainment value for YouTube.
TiKevin83
He/Him
Ambassador, Experienced Forum User, Moderator, Published Author, Site Developer (164)
Joined: 3/17/2018
Posts: 302
Location: Holland, MI
Rookie of 2018Gameboy TASer of 2018Gameboy TAS of 2018
2 more things, Here is a link to the old JPN cart TAS I mention in my submission text: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l01wqxsPHB4 Also, another aspect of the red bar timesave is that it saves time on some of the move animations, especially when they are super effective or not very effective. Gifvex has compiled a list of timings of move animations with animations set to off, off+red bar, on, and on+red bar. This led us to realize that having animations on can be faster in places as well, which is not relevant anywhere in Yellow but can be relevant in Red/Blue TASing. In my opinion, the nuance of these frame optimizations is well worth listening to the sound. Gifvex's timings: https://pastebin.com/cTAUc5aS Corresponding list of moves: https://glitchcity.info/biglist.htm
ThunderAxe31
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Judge, Moderator, Published Author (1258)
Joined: 9/12/2016
Posts: 1461
Location: Southern Italy
Gameboy TASer of 2017
While Mewtwo is certainly part of the main story, it's not required in order to advance towards the Hall of Fame and the credits roll. Otherwise, we should also argue that the Legendary Birds are also major events, and so on adding extra goals. The point is that clearing the Rocket Hideout is supposed to be mandatory in order to advance from the point of view of a casual gameplay. Also, since you've mentioned Pokémon Origins: in the second episode, Silph Scope is used for Marowak's ghost, and not a Poké Doll. :P So I still think that the ruleset of Glitchless Classic is more coherent. About the red bar, I see that not abusing red bar would make it easy to beat this TAS, but I don't see why we should compare the timing of TASes that make use of it with TASes that don't.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: ThunderAxe31#1512 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Memory
She/Her
Admin Assistant, Experienced Forum User, Judge, Published Author (1816)
Joined: 3/20/2014
Posts: 1593
Location: Dumpster
GBA TASer of 2020GBA TAS of 2020GBA TASer of 2019Exotic platforms TAS of 2018
I don't see what intended methods of game progression has to do with whether or not something is a glitch. Here, the game expects you to use silph scope to be able to fight the Marowak. However, it just so happens that a poke doll at any time would end the fight and allow you to proceed. The fact that this is a sequence break does not seem relevant to the branch goal. Would using a pokedoll on Marowak after using silph scope be allowed? According to the glitchless classic rules it would not be allowed, but it has nothing to do with event sequence in that case, which was your primary argument. It is plenty possible to break event sequence in games without glitches, like has been done here. All that happens in this scenario is that you used a pokedoll on a wild pokemon and it counted as winning the fight. If you would prefer a no glitches, no sequence breaks branch, I guess that would be fine, but I don't really see how this is a glitch.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
GoddessMaria, Samsara, and fsvgm777 are my sisters <3
Editor, Experienced Forum User, Published Author (1764)
Joined: 1/31/2010
Posts: 319
Location: France
PSX TASer of 2019PSX TAS of 2019PSX TASer of 2018PSX TAS of 2018PSX TASer of 2017
I don't understand why you killed the route 3 Ekans with a not very effective Double Kick instead of a neutral Tackle ?
TiKevin83
He/Him
Ambassador, Experienced Forum User, Moderator, Published Author, Site Developer (164)
Joined: 3/17/2018
Posts: 302
Location: Holland, MI
Rookie of 2018Gameboy TASer of 2018Gameboy TAS of 2018
Hi Lapogne, Double Kick shakes are 55 frames faster than the flash animation from horn attack and tackle. This drops to 10 frames faster when double Kick is not very effective, but being in red bar saves 16 extra frames only on the shake animation. Combined with 7 frames lost to switching moves, it's about 19 frames faster to use double kick instead of Horn Attack there or 26 compared to switching to Tackle. These timings are not perfect but they are accurate enough for decision making. More on that here if you're interested: https://pastebin.com/VPURUUak
Experienced Forum User
Joined: 12/29/2007
Posts: 482
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
I think that using Poké Doll to skip Marowak's ghost goes aganist the purpose of the branch of beating all mandatory opponents since it arbitrarily skips the whole Rocket Hideout, not to mention that it can be considered as an actual glitch since this usage is clearly possible due to a development oversight. In fact, this is not allowed for the Any% Glitchless (Classic) RTA branch on speedrun.com. About the entertaining side, I have to say that I disliked the choice of exploiting the red bar due to its annoying noise. Also, I don't like the idea of getting hit just for the sake of saving time, because it breaks the flow. While I appreciate all the efforts put into optimizing everything optimally, included abuse of red bar, I'm not much entertained and I voted Meh. By the way, why did you set Earphone 3 option? There is no mention of it in the submission text.
My interpretation of RBY "glitchless" has always been "no memory corruption", since that conveniently handles unavoidable glitches such as 1/256 miss and Viridian Forest no-encounters oversight. Then using the Poke Doll on Marowak and the (fixed in Yellow) Bike Shop keep-instant-text oversight don't count as memory corruption.
ThunderAxe31
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Judge, Moderator, Published Author (1258)
Joined: 9/12/2016
Posts: 1461
Location: Southern Italy
Gameboy TASer of 2017
Memory wrote:
I don't see what intended methods of game progression has to do with whether or not something is a glitch.
Well, the fact itself that something intended to happen did not happen, can in itself be described as a glitch. In this case, the player is supposed to go in a certain place and clear some fights in order to obtain the intended item required for progressing beyond Marowak's ghost.
Memory wrote:
The fact that this is a sequence break does not seem relevant to the branch goal.
The purpose of a branch that forgoe major skips is to show off more game content, or different gameplay content, compared to other branches. Skipping part of the intended events sequence simply defeates such purpose.
Memory wrote:
Would using a pokedoll on Marowak after using silph scope be allowed? According to the glitchless classic rules it would not be allowed, but it has nothing to do with event sequence in that case, which was your primary argument.
You can't encounter Marowak's ghost again after having used either Silph Scope or Poké Doll on it. The player necessarily have to decide which method to use in order to advance.
Zowayix wrote:
My interpretation of RBY "glitchless" has always been "no memory corruption", since that conveniently handles unavoidable glitches such as 1/256 miss and Viridian Forest no-encounters oversight. Then using the Poke Doll on Marowak and the (fixed in Yellow) Bike Shop keep-instant-text oversight don't count as memory corruption.
We really need to avoid branches that are too much similar to each other, and thus we can't publish both Glitchless and Glitchless Classic. And the RTA ruleset of the latter branch looks much more appropriate in my opinion, because it's more inclusive of game content.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: ThunderAxe31#1512 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Memory
She/Her
Admin Assistant, Experienced Forum User, Judge, Published Author (1816)
Joined: 3/20/2014
Posts: 1593
Location: Dumpster
GBA TASer of 2020GBA TAS of 2020GBA TASer of 2019Exotic platforms TAS of 2018
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
Well, the fact itself that something intended to happen did not happen, can in itself be described as a glitch. In this case, the player is supposed to go in a certain place and clear some fights in order to obtain the intended item required for progressing beyond Marowak's ghost.
Again, I would describe this as a sequence break rather than a glitch. I'll give you an example in another genre. If a developer intends you to not be able to make it across a gap, but you can still do it with a tight jump, is that a glitch? I wouldn't think so.
The purpose of a branch that forgoe major skips is to show off more game content, or different gameplay content, compared to other branches. Skipping part of the intended events sequence simply defeates such purpose.
This is not a problem in any other "forgoes major skip glitch" branches. Heck, plenty of these allow different sequence breaks too and even allow glitches. To give a Pokemon example, both Pearl Glitchless and No Save/Reset have the "foregoes major skip glitch" tag attached to it. One allows glitches and the other doesn't. There is no "Foregoes Major Skips" tag however.
You can't encounter Marowak's ghost again after having used either Silph Scope or Poké Doll on it. The player necessarily have to decide which method to use in order to advance.
The fight doesn't immediately end after using the Silph Scope. The Silph Scope allows you to attack the Marowak, but you could always throw a Pokedoll at that point instead.
We really need to avoid branches that are too much similar to each other, and thus we can't publish both Glitchless and Glitchless Classic. And the RTA ruleset of the latter branch looks much more appropriate in my opinion, because it's more inclusive of game content.
We have the co-op diploma Red/Blue branch that maximizes game content (including going through the Rocket Hideout), this should not be an issue.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
GoddessMaria, Samsara, and fsvgm777 are my sisters <3
ThunderAxe31
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Judge, Moderator, Published Author (1258)
Joined: 9/12/2016
Posts: 1461
Location: Southern Italy
Gameboy TASer of 2017
Memory wrote:
Again, I would describe this as a sequence break rather than a glitch. I'll give you an example in another genre. If a developer intends you to not be able to make it across a gap, but you can still do it with a tight jump, is that a glitch? I wouldn't think so.
But what if instead of a gap the developer decided to put a wall, and you could go beyond this wall by using some frame-perfect or subpixel-perfect movement? The obstacle is different and the way to bypass it is different, but the purpose of the obstacle and the result of the action performed by the player would be the same, but would you also consider this as not being a glitch? I see that drawing the line between "glitch" and "non-glitch" is impossible; but on the other hand we can instead draw an absolute line between "intended sequence" and "unintended sequence", and that's why I insist that we should use this yardstick instead. Then we can name the branch whatever is more appropriate, glitchless or not.
Memory wrote:
We have the co-op diploma Red/Blue branch that maximizes game content (including going through the Rocket Hideout), this should not be an issue.
The game(s) and the goal for that run are different, so we can't really make a comparison.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: ThunderAxe31#1512 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Memory
She/Her
Admin Assistant, Experienced Forum User, Judge, Published Author (1816)
Joined: 3/20/2014
Posts: 1593
Location: Dumpster
GBA TASer of 2020GBA TAS of 2020GBA TASer of 2019Exotic platforms TAS of 2018
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
Memory wrote:
Again, I would describe this as a sequence break rather than a glitch. I'll give you an example in another genre. If a developer intends you to not be able to make it across a gap, but you can still do it with a tight jump, is that a glitch? I wouldn't think so.
But what if instead of a gap the developer decided to put a wall, and you could go beyond this wall by using some frame-perfect or subpixel-perfect movement? The obstacle is different and the way to bypass it is different, but the purpose of the obstacle and the result of the action performed by the player would be the same, but would you also consider this as not being a glitch?
Not specific enough tbh. In some situations it might be a glitch and other situations it might not. Depends on the exact kind of movement required to pass through.
I see that drawing the line between "glitch" and "non-glitch" is impossible; but on the other hand we can instead draw an absolute line between "intended sequence" and "unintended sequence", and that's why I insist that we should use this yardstick instead. Then we can name the branch whatever is more appropriate, glitchless or not.
Can you really draw an absolute line through intended sequence vs unintended sequence? For plenty of games, the intended sequence itself is unclear. Sure, this particular instance seems pretty clear but there are many games where it is not, and developer intent is largely ignored anyways. EDIT: Imo your proposal would require a massive change to a bunch of movie classifications and to the rules as we know them.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
GoddessMaria, Samsara, and fsvgm777 are my sisters <3
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced Forum User, Published Author (536)
Joined: 10/19/2013
Posts: 1000
Finished watching the movie. Easy YES vote. How different would a run with the same rules on Red/Blue be from this run? Other than the instant text glitch from bike shop, of course.
TiKevin83
He/Him
Ambassador, Experienced Forum User, Moderator, Published Author, Site Developer (164)
Joined: 3/17/2018
Posts: 302
Location: Holland, MI
Rookie of 2018Gameboy TASer of 2018Gameboy TAS of 2018
I disagree with the assumption of difficulty in defining glitch. The "glitchless" category used in the RTA community is based on a very straightforward definition of "no arbitrary code execution." On the other hand, trying to follow the intended sequence of the game would also necessitate beating Erika before Koga before Sabrina before Blaine, which has never been suggested as a requirement for glitchless Pokemon runs before by anyone, classic or no classic. I do understand the desire to not publish competing classic and non-classic runs that have very similar category definitions if they both existed, but for the moment there is no classic category TAS.
TiKevin83
He/Him
Ambassador, Experienced Forum User, Moderator, Published Author, Site Developer (164)
Joined: 3/17/2018
Posts: 302
Location: Holland, MI
Rookie of 2018Gameboy TASer of 2018Gameboy TAS of 2018
Hi Fortran! It would be a bit different. The entire intro through Brock is different due to having Squirtle but you'd likely still swap to Nidoran, You'd be able to stay as Nidorino for Misty because of already having learned Poison Sting, it would be more complicated to choose when to take damage for red bar, you wouldn't be worried about manipulating color lag, and a lot of the late game enemies have different AI and different level Pokemon which could change move uses.
ThunderAxe31
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Judge, Moderator, Published Author (1258)
Joined: 9/12/2016
Posts: 1461
Location: Southern Italy
Gameboy TASer of 2017
Memory wrote:
Not specific enough tbh. In some situations it might be a glitch and other situations it might not. Depends on the exact kind of movement required to pass through.
The point is that I'm supposing a situation in which there is an obstacle with the same purpose as the gap you have hypothesized, that can be bypassed as easily as doing a tight jump as you hypothesized, but that it would look impressive to perform from the point of view of a person not familiar with the game.
Memory wrote:
Can you really draw an absolute line through intended sequence vs unintended sequence? For plenty of games, the intended sequence itself is unclear. Sure, this particular instance seems pretty clear but there are many games where it is not, and developer intent is largely ignored anyways.
Indeed, with most games this is impossible, due to the complexity of game design (amount of possible routes, amount of level objects, etc.) and even if we can draw the line, in most cases the resulting run doesn't result enough different due to relatively small amount of exploit used in the fastest run. However, with Pokémon games we can, because the game is both very linear and has many known exploits that can be put in use. This allows to beat the game by using different approaches and not having redaundant branches.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: ThunderAxe31#1512 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Memory
She/Her
Admin Assistant, Experienced Forum User, Judge, Published Author (1816)
Joined: 3/20/2014
Posts: 1593
Location: Dumpster
GBA TASer of 2020GBA TAS of 2020GBA TASer of 2019Exotic platforms TAS of 2018
TiKevin83 wrote:
I disagree with the assumption of difficulty in defining glitch. The "glitchless" category used in the RTA community is based on a very straightforward definition of "no arbitrary code execution." On the other hand, trying to follow the intended sequence of the game would also necessitate beating Erika before Koga before Sabrina before Blaine, which has never been suggested as a requirement for glitchless Pokemon runs before by anyone, classic or no classic.
Would make for a potentially good april fools joke however.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
GoddessMaria, Samsara, and fsvgm777 are my sisters <3
Editor, Experienced Forum User, Published Author (2042)
Joined: 6/15/2005
Posts: 3086
Glitchy TAS of 2013Gameboy TAS of 2013PSX TASer of 2010
Pretty well optimized; in fact, it's only 1.5 minutes slower than my Pokemon Yellow submission which uses L100 Nidoking glitch and is run on an emulator that has far less lag! Unfortunately I'm guessing the lack of general interest in Pokemon Yellow is because it is seen as an inferior version of Pokemon Red/Blue, which is faster. I can't blame anyone for seeing it that way. A part of me wishes that red bar skip never existed. However, the other part of me finds it funny enough that red bar skip breaks a lot of the audio in this game (though if I remember correctly, red bar skip works even better on Red/Blue because it also skips opposing Pokemon cries too).
TiKevin83 wrote:
The easiest way of explaining the category difference is that "glitchless" allows S+Q (not relevant for TAS) and allows exploiting oversights that cannot lead to ACE (like Poke Doll on Marowak) whereas "glitchless classic" disallows an arbitrary set of non-ACE-causing glitches to experience more of the storyline.
In my opinion, the simplest explanation is that the non-JP RTA community has always allowed Pokedoll skip and the JP community has always banned it. That is a valid explanation, and both rulesets are equally valid. I'm fine with Pokedoll skip since I don't like the Rocket Hideout, and the game is not obviously broken because of that. It's not like the Sonic the Hedgehog "no zips" TAS, which didn't go over well with a lot of people just because of two "ejections" (quoting Aglar here) that are so obviously glitches that clashed with the glitchless feel of the rest of the TAS.
TiKevin83 wrote:
Here is a link to the old JPN cart TAS I mention in my submission text: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l01wqxsPHB4
I'd be careful with that Youtuber. The channel reposted a 1:35 Pokemon Sapphire run last year, in complete ignorance of the 1:27 that existed for a long time. In fact, the Ruby TAS is faster despite being run on the English version! At least the run posted appears to be the same as the run on nicovideo which I think is the fastest one.
nymx: Wow, this looks like the kind of fights I saw in high school. Quick and dirty...over in seconds! EZGames69: What kinds of fights involved stabbing yourselves to kill opponents?
ThunderAxe31
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Judge, Moderator, Published Author (1258)
Joined: 9/12/2016
Posts: 1461
Location: Southern Italy
Gameboy TASer of 2017
TiKevin83 wrote:
I disagree with the assumption of difficulty in defining glitch. The "glitchless" category used in the RTA community is based on a very straightforward definition of "no arbitrary code execution."
Yes, this definition is more clear.
TiKevin83 wrote:
On the other hand, trying to follow the intended sequence of the game would also necessitate beating Erika before Koga before Sabrina before Blaine, which has never been suggested as a requirement for glitchless Pokemon runs before by anyone, classic or no classic.
There is nothing in the game design that is attempting to force the player to beat these gym leaders in this order, but rather a couple of hints: the order of the medals in the player status screen and the different level of the gym leader's Pokémon. So I don't think this can be considered as sequence breaking, with exceptions like beating Blaine before Koga, due to HMs.
TiKevin83 wrote:
I do understand the desire to not publish competing classic and non-classic runs that have very similar category definitions if they both existed, but for the moment there is no classic category TAS.
Yes, but we need to carefully evaluate all aspects beforehand. We can't publish a movie just because there is free space for new branches. At this point I'm beginning to be in favor of accepting this movie. However, I still need to evaluate more data and hear more opinions.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: ThunderAxe31#1512 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
ThunderAxe31
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Judge, Moderator, Published Author (1258)
Joined: 9/12/2016
Posts: 1461
Location: Southern Italy
Gameboy TASer of 2017
I'll elaborate about my current thoughts. My major concern was finding a clear and absolute ruleset that would result in making a movie that features all mandatory game events. For this reason, I've brought the argument that an exploit should be considered as a glitch if it allows to break event sequence, i.e. to save time by skipping a game event intended to be mandatory. However, by following this logic we could argue that using Dig from inside a building would be an uninteded use, and then we could also argue that getting red bar in order to cut sound effects would be an unintended use, and so on. Not only this would be very arbitrary, but it would also remove much of the challenge in optimization and would make the TASes much less interesting. On the other hand, banning only glitches that can lead to ACE possibilities is a much clearer definition. In fact, as Zowayix pointed out, this simply results in avoiding memory corruption, which is also already recognized on the site as a movie category. Lastly, this makes a clear cut from the No Save Corruption branch, which is also important. By the way, while getting instant text via the Bike Shop could be considered as a form of memory corruption, it must be noted that menuing glitches are pretty common in Pokémon Gen I games and are often unavoidable, like the 1/256 misses.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: ThunderAxe31#1512 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Wobmiar
She/Her
Experienced Forum User, Published Author (17)
Joined: 10/20/2015
Posts: 162
My honest opinion is, even if I'm not really knowledgeable about everything, I think we have to admit the autor used an accepted set of rules in the RTA community, so I don't think he did BAD :3 Even if I could find myself a bit divised on the glitch argument, I found the movie really fun to watch :) So for that thing alone, I'm voting yes :)
Chamale
He/Him
Experienced Forum User, Published Author (201)
Joined: 10/20/2006
Posts: 1324
Location: Canada
Voting yes. I found the use of redbar very impressive, and considering that it saves several minutes, definitely worthwhile. RTAs use it, and I don't think sacrificing several minutes for better audio is worthwhile.
TiKevin83 wrote:
Gifvex's timings: https://pastebin.com/cTAUc5aS Corresponding list of moves: https://glitchcity.info/biglist.htm
These numbers say that non-redbar Tackle is 10 frames faster with animations turned on. Is it possible that a future run could save 20 frames by fighting the first Rival with animations on, and only enter the options menu afterwards? Or would this cause problems with the good RNG you found in this run?
WTFWJD? Published speedruns: These TAS Body Counts. Contribute today!