Submission Text Full Submission Page
Robotrek is a whimsical JRPG that doesn't take itself too seriously. In a world where inventors, robots, and technology coexist, the protagonist creates and uses inventions to quell the forces threatening the world. A bit of a hidden gem, to some, it's charm lies in it's systems: item creation, deep robot customization, and a unique spin on turned-based combat.

RNG Manipulation

RNG is fairy robust in Robotrek. To my knowledge, there are only really a few ways to manipulate the RNG chain, with most being unavailable to the player. NPC and enemies will roll the chain forward to determine their movement. Secondly, the frame time is used in the RNG chain as well. In order to manipulate RNG, you have to wait until an enemy moves and/or wait a frame. This allows for much easier manipulation of capsules in battle, capsules appearing out of battle, capsule contents, enemy positions, NPC positions, and critical hits. Unfortunately, this also means changing actions earlier has an effect on future actions, and an added bonus of "desyncing" any work already done past that point. For instance, I take 5 HP at the beginning of the game and only end up taking 1 damage. Changing this to 2 HP would affect any other RNG derived decision that came afterwards.

Blocking

Blocking is fixed at a 25% chance for the robot and enemies, but is based on the 2 additional factors. First, the global frame counter (including lag frames). Blocking is based on a 32-frame cycle, where the first 24 frames will fail to block, but the next 8 frames are eligible for successful blocking. Second, blocking is dependent on the player having a piece of equipment that grants the ability to block. Any equipment that provides a defense bonus will also provide the ability to block.

ATB/Fuel Meter

Briefly, as the compendium does a much better job of explaining it (see Special Thanks), the ATB replenishes based on the robot's charge stat but has some unique quirks. The game allows the player to aid refueling the robot between turns. To accomplish this, every time the player pushes the B button, fill time is reduced by 8 frames, but is placed on an 8 frame cooldown. This bonus is disabled once the charge stat is equal to or greater than 50. This TAS makes extensive use of this feature, in combination with a variety of attacks, to stop enemies from getting multiple turns, and in some case a single turn.

Item manipulation

After battle, loot can drop in the form of capsules. Provided one or no enemies are around to affect the RNG, a capsule will drop with a 25% chance. The underlying mechanism is more complex, but in practice, this means within every 4 frame window, a capsule drop will occur. This window appears to be tied to the frame count and the value of 0x052A ending in 0. Each enemy formation has it's own loot table, and loot can be dropped from 3 categories: Common, Rare (1/16), and Super-rare (1/256). Capsule contents are determined upon opening. For practical purposes, the game reads the byte at 0x052A to determine the rarity. If the byte ends with 0 (e.g. A0), a rare drop will occur. If the byte is equal to 00, a super-rare drop will occur. All other values produce common loot. Fortunately, this address is a part of the game's RNG chain. With this knowledge, and knowledge of the enemy and NPC movement rolling the RNG chain, it's easy to get any item tier drop with little waiting. The only caveat being the super-rare drop may involve a longer wait if fewer enemies are around. Finally, the capsule needs to be opened on the value prior to the desired outcome (e.g. values of: 27, AD, 90; the capsule needs to be opened when the value is AD), since the outcome needs to be the value (e.g. 90 for a rare drop) when the capsule is actually open.

Other strategies

Run past enemies

The game initiates combat when you touch an enemy, and gives initiative to the player or enemy. Unfortunately, there are a few places where the player doesn't have a 1-tile offset to avoid a battle. Normally, the player's choices are to battle or run away. With this technique, the player must come to a complete stop and allow the enemy to initiate a battle. However, opening the player's menu can interrupt this check and the enemy's momentum will propel it passed the player. The game's RNG will determine if this action is successful, but it isn't difficult to setup or succeed.

Enemy tactics change

As mentioned before, there are very few ways to manipulate the RNG directly, and even fewer in the heat of battle. On the final boss, I use guarding to forcefully change the boss's attack pattern. This technique is not always successful, but changes the boss's next attack to the ram attack. The ram attack can usually be blocked provided the player has blocking enabled equipment. I did find instances of bosses waiting to use the ram attack on the first non-blocking frame, meaning taking damage was unavoidable. There are no instances of this happening in the TAS, but is stated here for others interested in this game. The mechanism behind this this technique and the ram attack issue needs to be further explored to understand how they actually work.

Other Comments

NPCs have set path routing, and usually walk very slow. If the player doesn't approach from a position not blocking their set path, they will walk slowly around you. It always faster to avoid this, except in cases where you have to approach from the front to progress the plot.
NPCs typically roam around randomly when onscreen. In the event that I need to talk to them or need them to go somewhere, I manipulate them to be as close to the player or their destination as possible. In dungeons, wherever possible, I manipulate enemies to move away from the player, or move aside to allow unimpeded passage.

Route Summary

I settled on minimizing encounters to save time. Still, there were 6 non-forced encounters taken to go flesh out the route: (1) Gel (2) Spider (3-6) Shells. For battle information, see the Battle Guide tab. The need for any gold is eliminated in this version of the TAS, as well as crafting and combining to upgrade weapons.

Rococo - Cave

I need to reach level 2 at a specific point to save time. I start by making the robot and going all in on power. I take 5 HP as for safety since I didn't know how well farming capsules would be while also defeating enemies. I grab the Scrap 5 from the tool shop, but I don't take the hidden repair next to it. At father's house I grab a repair (one is required to beat the game) and a clean before heading out again. I considered manipulating these drops, but these two items are close enough to each other that it's faster to collect them here.
Outside of father's house I take the first battle and manipulate a 1.0 EXP bonus capsule. In the cave, I grab the drill, and manipulate another 1.0 EXP capsule. After leveling, I use the portable R&D to clean the drill and remove the blockage. Spiders are super dangerous at low level and even more-so with low defense stats. I manipulate a single spider battle and a capsule drop as well. There are three enemies around when the capsule drops, but the hidden gel doesn't roll the RNG chain forward. I manage to get a super rare drop (Punch 2) in a reasonable amount of time from the two spiders pushing the chain forward. The trade-off is the more I manipulate on the front end, the more time I lose on the back-end.
The next two battles are about boosting EXP to hit level 3 before fighting Meta Crab. Using the Punch 2 and Scrap 4 I grabbed along the way, I make Punch 3 and OHKO Meta Crab.

Family Shrine - Clocktower

I grab the Shield 2 and now have a piece of equipment that allows us to block. I force equipment level up in the next 8 battles to max our weapon as soon as possible. I begin by defeating 2 monks. I wasn't able to maniuplate a 3 monk battle with an equipment leveling capsule without wasting a lot of time, so I settled for 2 Monks. I sacrifice a one turn OHKO on Mamurana to level up our equipment.

South Isle - Biolab

In the older version of this TAS, I leveled up the weapon by crafting and combining Punch 1s to our Punch 3. This process takes 3 minutes, so manipulating level up capsules in battles is much faster. I get the final equipment level on the Big Eye boss fight, again sacrificing a one-turn OHKO for equipment leveling. I also grab a Scrap 9 along the way. I could have manipulated Scrap 9 as a rare drop, but the extra battles more cost time versus getting free ones along the way.

Sewers - Mayor's House

The shell formations fought in the sewer are the only ones that have up to 3 shells. I need 8 shells to reach level 20, so I manipulate 3 per battle with the intent to defeat at least 2 in each battle. I would have opted for a 3-3-2 configuration, but defeating 3 in each battle proved harder and longer than I thought. Anyways, I reach level 20, and dispose of a few hackers and Papamecha. At this point, I prioritize single enemy encounters to save time. I make vanish and proceed.

Snow Harbor - Snow Base

Primarily plot and backtracking. I OHKO Bugbug by 1 HP then collect a second Scrap 9 afterwards on the way to the next boss. Blacktank is the first boss that cannot be OHKO'd. I manipulate a ram attack and two critical hits to finish the battle quickly.

Old Rococo

The cave section after the time slip is mostly uneventful. However, I discovered that in this dungeon, and a few other places I haven't mentioned this for before, the RNG is static. The only way to move it forward is through battle. This presented a few challenges for the boss because her attack patterns were not what I wanted. Still with decent critical luck, I managed to defeat her 2 seconds slower than a test battle where she primarily used the head smash ram attack. This will be one location to further optimize in a future update of this TAS.

Outer space - Fortress

I grab Shield 4 here for the final boss. I take a single enemy battle and end the game with 3 boss fights. I manipulated a pretty good Bugbug 2 fight, although I would have preferred more "hockey puck" attacks since they can be blocked.
Gateau 1 - This was an extremely difficult battle. The soldiers have 2 attacks, a gun shot that cannot be blocked, and a gun shot that cannot be blocked but can disable your run commands. Meanwhile, Gateau has a gun shot that cannot be blocked and a screen flash attach that can be blocked. Similar to the unavoidable damage issue I mentioned in the enemy tactics change section above, Gateau can perform the screen flash in this manner as well. I managed to manipulate some pretty insane critical luck while also not being disabled once. This dropped the fight to 47 seconds instead of a really good 2 minute fight I practiced prior.
Gateau 2 - Another difficult battle. Similar to the old cave section, the RNG chain is static again after the Gateau 1 battle. I would need to traverse several rooms backwards to get a better RNG 'seed' to start this battle. Initially, I had a great battle that began with 3 critical attacks, but the next 15 attacks would not critical hit, making this a long slow fight, so I started over. Because the 'seed' I went with wasn't great, I wasn't able to get a consistent amount of ram attacks to save time. I did allow one beach soldier attack because the remainder of the battle went quickly. I use Shield 4 here because of a programming bug that essentially reduced damage of the wrong value. In practice, I take 1-2 damage from elemental attacks and attacks that make the robot flash red (e.g. disable attacks from G1 soldiers). Due to not having more equipment like the Shield pack, this is the best way to avoid taking a ton of damage with lower evasion. This is ideal because 3 of Gateau's attacks in this form are elemental attacks. The other attacks, except for the beach soldiers attack, I manipulate away by strategic guarding.

Software:

  • ROM: Robotrek (USA).sfc
  • SHA-1: e315830e71cc6da91234813f70835d26802c0ea1
  • MD5: e85702f5d32e03a7cbae1154ee5083ce
Suggested Screenshots
  • Frame: 515879
  • Frame: 340499
Robot Stats Robot Equipment
BattleLocationEnemyEXPBonusTotal EXPBoss fightEnergyPowerGuardSpeedChargeR.HandL.HandBackBootsNotes
1Father's HouseCommander0.21.21.4-535000Sword1Shot1Bomb1Boots1
2CaveGel Drill0.21.22.8-535000Sword1Shot1Bomb1Boots1
3CaveSpider0.30.13.2-545000Sword1Shot1Bomb1Boots1Drop Punch 2 from Spider.
4Cave3x Hacker (Sauna)0.61.45.2-545000Sword1Shot1Bomb1Boots1
5Cave3x Hacker (Boss Door)0.91.27.3-545000Sword1Shot1Bomb1Boots1
6CaveMeta Crab20027.3Meta Crab555000Punch3Shot1Bomb1Boots1
7Old House2x Monk1.20.328.8-5550200Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots1Level up Punch3: Punch3 Lv 2
8Old House3x Monk1.80.431.0-5550200Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots1Level up Punch3: Punch3 Lv 3
9Old House3x Monk1.80.433.2-5550200Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots1Level up Punch3: Punch3 Lv 4
10Old House3x Monk1.80.435.4-5650200Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots1Level up Punch3: Punch3 Lv 5
11Old House3x Hacker (Flavon Room)0.80.436.6-5650200Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots1Level up Punch3: Punch3 Lv 6, Make Boots4 (Scrap 5 + Scrap 3)
12ClocktowerMamurana50086.6Mamurana5650200Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4Level up Punch3: Punch3 Lv 7
13Biolab3x Hacker (Cafeteria)1.20.488.2-5850300Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4Level up Punch3: Punch3 Lv 8
14Island ShrineDr. Einst700.2158.4Big Eye5850300Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4Level up Punch3: Punch3 Lv 9
15Sewer2x Shell600.4218.8-19903030Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4
16Sewer2x Shell600.4279.2-19903149Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4
17Sewer3x Shell900.7369.9-19903149Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4
18Sewer2x Shell600.5430.4-19903149Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4
19Mayor's House1x Hacker Guard0.50.1431.0-19909149Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4
20Mayor's House1x Hacker Guard0.40.1431.5-19909149Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4
21Mayor's HouseFake Mayor300.1461.6Papamecha19909149Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4
22Air BaseHacker0.90.1462.6-19909149Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4
23FortressBugBug400.1502.7Bugbug19909949Punch3Shield2Bomb1Boots4
24FortressBlackmore900592.7Blacktank19909949Punch3Shield5Bomb1Boots4
25Cave (Past)Big Fan1.60.1594.4-19909949Punch3Shield5Bomb1Boots4
26Cave (Past)Big Fan1.60.1596.1-19909949Punch3Shield5Bomb1Boots4
27Cave (Past)Rose500646.1De Rose19909949Punch3Shield5Bomb1Boots4
28Space FortressCommander10.1647.2-19909949Punch3Shield5Bomb1Boots4
29Space FortressBugbug 2400687.2Bugbug 219909949Punch3Shield5Bomb1Boots4
30Space FortressGateau900777.2Gateau519909949Punch3Shield5Bomb1Boots4
31Space FortressGateau 200777.2Gateau 2519909949Punch3Shield4Bomb1Boots4

Special Thanks

I'd like to give credit to PJ DiCesare for the many resources I used to make this TAS. PJ's Robotrek Compendium help me test and iterate on many ideas, all of which made this run much faster. In these notes, I tried to cover enough background information to explain the game's mechanics, but anyone interested in the inner workings of this game, including damage calculations and hidden mechanics, should visit the compendium.
I'd also like to thank Tompa for helping me isolate the RNG chain when I was doing basic research into the game. That was the spark that motivated me to actually pursue this run.

Samsara: Claiming for judging.
Samsara: Dang, Robotrek's really gotten an upgrade since I last checked in. I watched PJ's 3:47:01 run a good few times way back in the day, and very quietly took a stab at a TAS around the same time, though it never really left the planning phase. I'm very happy to see someone not only finish a run, but absolutely crush it! Fantastic run, even more fantastic first submission, plus it was a treat seeing the thread revived and full of planning, theorizing, and information. It's clear you put a huge amount of work into this, and it absolutely shows.
Accepting!

EZGames69: Processing...


TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Moderator
Location: 127.0.0.1
Joined: 8/3/2004
Posts: 18087
Location: 127.0.0.1
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #10728: One_Hunnerd's SNES Robotrek in 2:28:35.184
Editor, Player (82)
🇨🇦 Canada
Joined: 1/2/2022
Posts: 74
Location: 🇨🇦 Canada
Temp encode: Link to video
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Skilled player (1206)
Location: Seattle, WA
Joined: 10/17/2005
Posts: 699
Location: Seattle, WA
Good job getting this done, you definitely knew what was needed to make this happen! It's a shame this game's RNG is such a pain to work with, but you managed it very well.
One_Hunnerd
He/Him
Joined: 9/7/2025
Posts: 8
Thank you for the temporary encode, CloakTheLurker. Can/Should I link it to the submission?
It's a shame this game's RNG is such a pain to work with, but you managed it very well.
It really is a double-edged sword. On one hand, having total control, it's trivial to manipulate any drop from every enemy in the game. On the other hand, setups for battle and managing the flow of battle with a single robot can be a nightmare. A large amount of the rerecords came from getting the right (or acceptable) setup for battle to make the progression smooth, and from guiding NPCs or enemies out of the way.
Editor, Player (82)
🇨🇦 Canada
Joined: 1/2/2022
Posts: 74
Location: 🇨🇦 Canada
One_Hunnerd wrote:
Thank you for the temporary encode, CloakTheLurker. Can/Should I link it to the submission?
Yes, go ahead 👍
PJ
He/Him
Location: Western NY
Joined: 2/1/2011
Posts: 186
Location: Western NY
I might be biased, being maybe the world's biggest fan of this game, the one who built most of the available resources for this game, and having been heavily involved in the route work for this TAS, but I'm blown away by this result! Obvious YES vote from me! I was talking with One_Hunnerd while I was watching the final product, so he has the most detailed feedback which I probably won't bother reiterating. I am incredibly impressed by the work here. I sent loads of half-tested ideas his way in the middle of the night and woke up to find them timed out with a justification for or against. I had a bunch of questions while we were brainstorming routes, and while I was watching this final run, and every stat choice and delay in movement or text advancement was meticulously planned. The routing for this game is incredibly complicated, even for an RPG, and I think what we came up with here is the best option. Having spent an unbelievable amount of time doing real-time speedruns of this game and routing movement through individual rooms, I cannot even begin to express the extent of NPC and enemy manipulation in this run. Even within the first few minutes, the "River" screen manipulates critical behavior on multiple different enemies at the same time to avoid several battles or lengthy maneuvering around them. It is nonstop for the entire run, and those enemy patterns are incredibly fickle. He manipulated important NPCs to be nearest to their exit so they have to walk the shortest distance during cutscenes, enemies turning away at the proper time or continuing to run past if he is using the menu exploit to avoid battle, enemies walking into a corner so they never become aggressive, and so on. The only potential improvement I see is a future run using Axe 3 instead of Punch 3. The critical hit rate is 1/16 instead of 1/4, but the damage is higher so some later bosses would be defeated in fewer turns. However, the RNG in this game is very robust especially in battle (it only advances in battle when an enemy chooses an action or when it calculates damage), so the manipulation would get increasingly complex to figure out. Since it incorporates the global frame counter into its calculation on every screen transition, manipulating a proper boss seed with axe 3 might involve adding a few-frame delay a dozen screens before the boss. It would probably involve developing some very sophisticated tools to land on the proper starting value for a lengthy boss fight. Even then it might not be mathematically possible, since the RNG is roughly locked for the last two boss fights. Manipulating the RNG just to survive those fights with this setup is hard enough, but additionally requiring 1/16 chance crits might not line up properly. Either way, this is an incredibly well-done TAS of a very under-appreciated game, and I am looking forward to it finally having representation on this site!
CoolKirby
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (710)
Joined: 11/8/2010
Posts: 4295
Good work finishing this! I like the brief entertainment sections too like while you were waiting for the Old House door to open.