This page lists tricks and info for Survival Kids (GBC).
- Ending 1: Flee by helicopter.
This is done by listening to the working radio to find about the ongoing search for survivors and then building an SOS sign at the beach.
- Ending 2: Flee on raft, die at sea.
After finding out the search is called off (wait 2 days after finding out about the search), build a raft at the beach but fail to bring enough food and water. It seems 3 "good" foods and a full canteen is required to survive. If Bub wasn't rescued from the scrap, you will obtain this ending regardless. Fruits, Berries, Grasses and some mushrooms are considered "good".
- Ending 3: Meet other kid and wait 100 days.
In order to meet the other kid, you have to survive the raft event and then check any of the two campsites that will appear thereafter. Then go back to the ship and the kid will appear.
- Ending 4: Leave by ship alone.
Don't inspect any campsite and collect the gem from the desert rather than from the other kid.
- Ending 5: Leave by ship with other kid, other kid dies.
Meet the other kid but his affection towards you is below a certain point (see the affection memory address).
- Ending 6: Leave by ship with other kid, normal ending.
Meet the other kid and his affection towards you is high enough for him to survive but not high enough for him to love you.
- Ending 7: Wait 100 days alone.
Wait until the 100th day without meeting the other kid.
- Ending 8: Leave by ship with other kid, wedding ending.
Meet the other kid and his affection towards you is high enough (240 or higher) for him to love you.
It is possible to save a game, obtain an ending and then load that saved game to go on to obtain other endings. This means you can do an "all endings" run.
2 Umbrella Leaf
3 Fox Cap
4 Bear Cap
5 Deer Cap
6 Umbrella Leaf
7 Fox Cap
8 Bear Cap
9 Deer Cap
10 Fishing Rod
16 Baked Clam
17 Rotten Clam
19 Preserved Clam
20 Hollow Mushroom
21 Plain Mushroom
22 Soft Mushroom
23 Color Mushroom
24 Full Mushroom
25 Bad Mushroom
26 Hard Berry
27 Round Berry
28 Soft Berry
29 Healing Nut
30 Big Berry
31 Weird Berry
32 Thin Grass
33 Short Grass
34 Damp Grass
35 Dry Grass
36 Sharp Grass
37 Heal Grass
38 Bad Grass
39 Hard Fruit
40 Slick Fruit
41 Sweet Fruit
42 Moist Fruit
43 Vital Fruit
44 Full Fruit
45 Super Vital Fruit
46 Spoiled Fruit
47 Big Fish
48 Small Fish
49 Big Baked Fish
50 Small Baked Fish
51 Rotten Fish
52 Preserved Fish
54 Cooked Egg
55 Rotten Egg
57 Cooked Meat
58 Rotten Meat
59 Preserved Meat
61 Poison Clam
62 Poison Fish
63 Poison Meat
66 Big Rock
67 Big Fan
68 Big Leaf
69 Big Stick
72 Sun Key
73 Moon Key
74 Star Key (Right)
75 Star Key (Left)
76 Star Key
77 Palace Key
78 Dried Leaf
79 Tree Bark
84 Flex Tree
85 Tree Sap
89 Fishing Gut
90 Iron Lump
91 Iron Chunk
93 Pointy Rock
94 Bird Feather
95 Bird Feather
98 Jump Rope
99 Lotus Leaf
105 Star Gem
106 Triangle Gem
107 Square Gem
108 Round Gem
109 Rhombus Gem
110 Oval Gem
111 Moon Gem
112 Eye Gem
116 Baseball Gear
117 Working Radio
119 Hollow Baked Mushroom
120 Plain Baked Mushroom
121 Soft Baked Mushroom
122 Color Baked Mushroom
123 Full Baked Mushroom
- Nursing the other kid: After meeting the other kid, his affection towards you will be 0. It can not go below 0. You can give him certain items to influence his affection - see here for a list. The affection memory address is $C5F6 (System Bus).
- Shuffling effects of grasses and mushrooms: There are two possible scenarios for the mushroom/grass locations and effects. The game decides on one the moment the intro cutscene ends and keeps it forever. See here for a breakdown.
- Weird berry: In order for Bub to give you the weird berry, you have to fix the hut and neglect to bring him along on the raft.
- Pendant/Oval gem madness: Basicly, during normal gameplay, if you check one of the two campsites, the other kid will be triggered. He will give you his oval gem and you will be able to find a pendant in the desert. If he is not triggered, the pendant in the desert will be the oval gem instead. But there are inconsistencies because you can do stuff out of order. If you pick up the oval gem from the desert, the other kid won't spawn and likewise if you pick up the pendant from the desert before the other kid spawns, he will spawn inevitably.
For more clarity:
- Before the raft trip, the desert item will be the oval gem. (Cheats were used for testing)
- If you leave Bub behind, it will always be the pendant, even before triggering the other kid.
- If you take Bub with you, it will be the oval gem. If you look at a campsite, it will change into the pendant. If you pick it up as the oval gem, the campsites will disappear.
Energy and daytime management
Throughout your run, you want to pay attention to the life, fatigue, hunger and water addresses. If your life reaches 0, it's gameover. Pick up nearby berries and other food to keep those values high. You can also make use of the sleeping/resting options when in a shelter. You can sleep/rest/rest enough or even rest twice (which is faster than sleeping once).
On some days, there is rain which makes you stop for 10 seconds to tell that you need an umbrella leaf. So you should avoid those days or bring an umbrella leaf with you.
Keep grasses cut
When cutting grass and then re-entering the area, there is an "every other frame" chance that the grass will have grown again. By making sure to re-enter on a good frame, you can keep grasses cut.
This is a good timesaver in speedruns.
- Skipping cutscenes: Stepping on certain tiles will trigger cutscenes. You can skip those triggers by stepping onto the tile, pausing, quick-saving, resetting and continuing.
- Going out of bounds: You can go out of bounds in some places by stepping onto a tile that would trigger the room transition and performing the steps mentioned above. Use the luascript (at the bottom of this page) to make use of a camhack to see where you're going.
At the beginning of the game, there is a trigger where the player will talk a bit and then enter the hut and talk some more. The dialogue in the hut is based on the text pointer that has been set at the trigger. You can use the Trigger Skip to bypass the trigger and perform a certain action to display different text (i.e. set the text pointer to something else) and then manually enter the hut to make the game run different text. In some cases, it will glitch out completely or crash.
The listed effects below are based on what action you performed before entering the hut.
| ||VBA 24m|| || ||Bizhawk-Gambatte|| || ||Real console|| || |
| ||US version||EU version||JP version||US version||EU version||JP version||US version||EU version||JP version|
|Use match||Blue text freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Eat thin grass||Lot of glitched text, graphically glitched menu|| || || || || || || || |
|Inspect fire you set||Blue text freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Use sword against tree||Blue text freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Get battery||Blue text freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Use mask||Blue text freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Use costume||Blue text freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Use big fan||Blue text freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Use charm||Blue text freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Use trash||Blue text freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Use broom||Different glitched text and freezes|| || || || || || || || |
|Use jumping rope||Different glitched text and freezes|| || || || || || || || |
|Use whip||Different glitched text and freezes|| || || || || || || || |
|Use baseball gear||Different glitched text and freezes|| || || || || || || || |
|Use flint||Glitched texts and game resets itself in SGB mode|| || || || || || || || |
|Use fox cap||Blue border textbox freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Use bear cap||Blue border textbox freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Use deer cap||Blue border textbox freeze|| || || || || || || || |
|Use big rock on swimming fish twice||Crash. Can cause a reset with heavily glitched graphics || || || || || || || || |
|Hard reset||Glitched texts and game resets itself in SGB mode|| || || || || || || || |TODO
:Test other versions and systems.
|$c5f6||Other kid's affection|
|$c6fd||Animal spawns when this address reaches 120|
|$c19d||Time (Morning, noon, evening take 250 steps each. Night takes 190 steps.)|
- Forum topic
- Luascript for VBA v24 svn480 (The two red fields can be toggled by click to enable camhack and stat freeze. The camhack will flash between two different screens at 30hz, but you will be able to see where you are going. Before using, you need to edit lines 23 and 24 depending where you use the OoB trick. The stat freeze is for testing purposes to freeze all your stats and time and should not be used when TASing.)